Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIC and DMP to be commemorated this month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,202 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It'll be a bit harder to ignore the bombs going off in Dublin and Cork though.

Massive own goal by the precessional Republican classes. Just like that farce of a 'Love Ulster' march, the way to win was to just ignore it. Instead there's even more ammunition for the unionists who will point to things like this as to why there's never going to a place for them in any United Ireland.

If unionists are labouring under the illusion that we are all going to lie about the past to 'persuade' them they have another thing coming. That's Boris Johnson and Tory territory and we see the tears that has ended in.

*By the way, how many years will we have to wait before we commemorate those who bomb Dublin and Cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I wonder how many people raging about this idea are unknowingly descended from the same people.

The civil war wasn't baddies versus goodies. The Irish state hasn't demonstrated itself to be morally superior than the UK. Horrific levels of corruption and abuse have been present throughout its history.

The root of the war was that northern Unionists promised to march on Dublin Castle if Home Rule was granted. So the British caved and Pearse et al took the opportunity to drum up support for their alternative movement. The reason the northern unionists gave for opposed home rule was they were concerned about an undue level of influence by the RC Church. This was pretty accurate in hindsight.

The idea of a separate state altogether was not a popular one before that. Plenty of Irish people disagreed with the notion even when it gained momentum. Of course that's not how they write about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

An account from a descendant of victims of the organisation FG wanted to commemorate.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ric-commemoration-not-appropriate-victims-descendant-1.4132040?mode=amp

I wonder how many people raging about this idea are unknowingly descended from the same people.

The civil war wasn't baddies versus goodies. The Irish state hasn't demonstrated itself to be morally superior than the UK. Horrific levels of corruption and abuse have been present throughout its history.

The root of the war was that northern Unionists promised to march on Dublin Castle if Home Rule was granted. So the British caved and Pearse et al took the opportunity to drum up support for their alternative movement. The reason the northern unionists gave for opposed home rule was they were concerned about an undue level of influence by the RC Church. This was pretty accurate in hindsight. T

he idea of a separate state altogether was not a popular one before that. Plenty of Irish people disagreed with the notion even when it gained momentum. Of course that's not how they write about it now.

How do they 'write' about it now? Any examples?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

If this ball can keep rolling to the GE be some **** show, look what swing gate did for them.

I can guarantee that Leo will be gone if they suffer for this blunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Yes or course they were by & large a good force with many Catholics in their ranks, but that logic doesn't apply anymore. Nowadays we must look back and recognise the the RIC & DMP as Nazi like, terrible people who sought the genocide of the Irish people!

Or at least that's how several posters here would have you believe.

Typical British thicko.

Irrelevant that they were Catholics, they were serving anti-Catholic Imperialist henchmen.

Lord Haw Haw was a Protestant, great supporter of the RIC, RUC and Tans.

Wonder when London will commemorate him?

Wonder when Fine Gael will commemorate him?

Nazis = British imperialists.
    Same thing, different countries.

RIC = RUC = IRA dog food

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Calhoun wrote: »
    If this ball can keep rolling to the GE be some **** show, look what swing gate did for them.

I can guarantee that Leo will be gone if they suffer for this blunder.

All the more reason that this is cancelled and not 'deferred' as Flanagan suggests. This can will be kicked down the road and forgotten about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Strazdas wrote: »
    You reckon there are Irish people who would rather the country was still part of the UK?
    John Bruton, Leo Varadkar, Charlie Flanagan and the muppets in RTE that commissioned that absolutely dire piece of revisionist sh!te "Rebellion", for a start.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

To put it another way, can you imagine Northern Ireland leaving the Commonwealth?

Would anyone even notice?

It’s a Mickey Mouse pretend empire club for British slow learners.

Most British either have never heard of it or are embarrassed by it’s pretend Olympics.

Good for African and Asian immigrants to the UK though lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Thought I would share this to counter the claim that comemoration of the RIC was not comemoration of the Black and Tans.

Explainer: Who Were The RIC? https://jrnl.ie/4956583

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Honestly what were they thinking with this crap.

Looking for a pat on the back for being the 'all inclusive party' no doubt.

I actually think Leo doesn't give a toss anymore. He knows he's out on his arse in a few months time so will hand it over to Coveney to take charge as the main opposition party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

The root of the war was that northern Unionists promised to march on Dublin Castle if Home Rule was granted. So the British caved and Pearse et al took the opportunity to drum up support for their alternative movement. The reason the northern unionists gave for opposed home rule was they were concerned about an undue level of influence by the RC Church. This was pretty accurate in hindsight.

The idea of a separate state altogether was not a popular one before that. Plenty of Irish people disagreed with the notion even when it gained momentum. Of course that's not how they write about it now.

It was the War of Independence or the Anglo-Irish War not a civil war as Lord Bruton and the likes would like you to think.
    That's the Irish rebels versus the British forces which included the the British Army, RIC, DMP, RIC Special Reserves and the Auxiliaries.

The Civil War came after that.

Written history of the time is available for you to read and I think you'll find it encompasses everything from various viewpoints, imagine that!

It's there - go get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Would anyone even notice?

It’s a Mickey Mouse pretend empire club for British slow learners.

Most British either have never heard of it or are embarrassed by it’s pretend Olympics.

Good for African and Asian immigrants to the UK though lol

Rwanda and Mozambique joined the Commonwealth a few years ago - they had no prior connection to the British 'Empire', but did it for social and cultural reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Honestly what were they thinking with this crap.

Looking for a pat on the back for being the 'all inclusive party' no doubt.

I actually think Leo doesn't give a toss anymore. He knows he's out on his arse in a few months time so will hand it over to Coveney to take charge as the main opposition party.

I reckon FG will hold their own at the next election, despite people holding a poor opinon of Varadker.

This fiasco won't help them though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Fann Linn wrote: »
    All the more reason that this is cancelled and not 'deferred' as Flanagan suggests. This can will be kicked down the road and forgotten about.

By saying it's deferred until later in the year he effectively makes it an election issue.

Remember what the justice minister will bring in when casting your votes folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    It was the War of Independence or the Anglo-Irish War not a civil war as Lord Bruton

John Bruton is not a member of the house of lords FYI.

I have a lot of respect for Bruton - speaks so much common sense it's hard for most to take it in all at once.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

He bowed and scraped to Charlie Windsor in the hope of being enobled.
    I have a lot of respect for Bruton - speaks so much common sense it's hard for most to take it in all at once.
    He's the f*cking gobsh!te who nearly killed the Peace Process or perhaps you were too young to remember that and the lives it cost.

Regards...jmcc

jipwuyvfqd941.png

cropped_irish_alan_twitter.JPG?t=1553216195

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Typical British thicko.

Irrelevant that they were Catholics, they were serving anti-Catholic Imperialist henchmen.

Lord Haw Haw was a Protestant, great supporter of the RIC, RUC and Tans.

Wonder when London will commemorate him?

Wonder when Fine Gael will commemorate him?

Nazis = British imperialists.
    Same thing, different countries.

RIC = RUC = IRA dog food

I'm not British nor am I a thicko!

Your comments are really rather nasty, and I can only presume you're some kind of old school IRA supporter/sympathiser, or maybe you're drunk?
    But you shouldn't argue your point by calling people Thicko because they have a different view point.

Anyway, if I was British would it still be right for you to say that. Can you imagine a British Boards.uk allowing a poster to call an Irish person "a typical Irish thicko".

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

On the 9pm news they said Flanagan and drew Harris ( another British p...k ) we’re going to be the main speakers!
    Omg this government are some laughing stock only this morning we were treated to half nude picture of our Taoiseach with his partner - yuk

drew Harris ( another British p...k )

Drew Harris is from the north and he is sorting out the guards finally.

and he is sorting out the guards finally.

How do you know that?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Loving all the keyboard warriors on here and on social media. My grandad was in the RIC and like most in it he wasn't a murderer or a traitor, he was just a regular guy trying to provide for his family. But of course, he should have taken the moral high ground, quit his job and let them starve. I'd like to see how many parents now would be prepared to put their country before the needs of their children. Not many I'd wager.

Drew Harris is from the north and he is sorting out the guards finally.

Exactly, British. He’s a loyalist who worked for the terrorist organisation that was the RUC. He should not be afforded any position in this country.

Loving all the keyboard warriors on here and on social media. My grandad was in the RIC and like most in it he wasn't a murderer or a traitor, he was just a regular guy trying to provide for his family. But of course, he should have taken the moral high ground, quit his job and let them starve. I'd like to see how many parents now would be prepared to put their country before the needs of their children. Not many I'd wager.

Maybe if he’d just done his job instead of terrorising innocents then. They’re all the one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

:cool:

Yeah. I know.
    But he acts like it and more than likely would love it.

That's the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

:confused:
    Exactly, British. He’s a loyalist who worked for the terrorist organisation that was the RUC. He should not be afforded any position in this country.

Have you gone mad or are you just being provocative, the RUC was not a terrorist organisation so why are you saying that?

This thread seems to really just be a vent for anti British sentiment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

If unionists are labouring under the illusion that we are all going to lie about the past to 'persuade' them they have another thing coming.

I expect all unionists might expect is a bit of honesty first up. You & others seem to suffer from some delusion that all the old IRB /IRA did was honorable and for the greater glory of mother Ireland. The 'Christian Brother' history of Ireland is nasty and corrosive.

For starters there must be very good reasons why the records of the Land Commission are still withheld from the public. Why, we'll wait & see but I fully expect from accounts I've come across that the boyos involved in the 'war of independence' were nicely looked after in terms of grand farms for themselves. Good old style ethnic cleansing. Were they fighting for the republican ideal or just because they had their eye on the neighbours land?

• Advertisement

:confused:

Have you gone mad or are you just being provocative, the RUC was not a terrorist organisation so why are you saying that?

You'd have more success (and reasoning) arguing with flat earthers than shinner bots.

Advertisement