Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIC and DMP to be commemorated this month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,207 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I'm not sure Irish people are mature enough to move on from the past, that's evident from the hysterical overreaction to the commemoration. You can also see from numerous posts in this thread that tolerance is an alien concept to some.

Words used by Charlie Flanagan today:
    'Sinister'
    'Political exploitation'
    'Imaturity'
    'Hysterical'
    'Intolerant'

He wound up by saying 'many would be hurt' (because he hadn't the balls to stand up to the above actually, if he believed his own spinning) without the slightest regard for those his home run (apparently) had hurt.

He got well schooled and at least we will now see some caution in the approach to the rest of the decade of commemoration. Maybe he should google the expert groups recommendations and have an actual 'humble' read of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

How the fück would you know what he did or didn't do? Just keep making assumptions and tarring them all with the same brush. Sure he'd be a saint if he had been on the other side murdering before and behind him in the name of "freedom".
    How many did he evict ?

How many roofs did he pull down?

How many cottages did he burn?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Flanagan is one of the most incompetent ministers and given the competiton, that's really saying something. He's not even capable of running a bath without screwing it up.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Strazdas wrote: »
    Ironically, the Civil War is a big factor in this. The war was well underway by December 6, 1922 when the Irish Free State came into being.

Dev subsequently coming to power meant our Independence Day being edited out of the history books, as if it had never happened.

I think a date being mentioned is the date the first Dail sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

You should really read a history book before going on a rant.

Par the claim to a day of independence which I should have probably have cleared up as essentially being the 1916 celebrations we hold every year. Please enlighten me to what I have said that was so inherently wrong because this is taken from the history of Ireland I have read up on.

• Advertisement

jmcc wrote: »
    Flanagan is one of the most incompetent ministers and given the competiton, that's really saying something. He's not even capable of running a bath without screwing it up.

Regards...jmcc

Your posts are hilarious, I'm really impressed by the way you sign off ... Regards ...jmcc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

jmcc wrote: »
    He's not even capable of running a bath without screwing it up.

Regards...jmcc

But thats how its done. On a typical bath, it is correct to screw up the tap for the water to run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Where did all this "mature" mallarkey come from

From manipulative non nationalists across academia and politics and media who are abusing historical process to stifle patriotism, pride in country and self respect as a nation to advance a new version of Ireland where these self styled elites dictate to “the crowd” and create a bland politically correct society slavishly deferential to unionism.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Time to unsubscribe. I don't know how some posters have the energy for all the hatred they have. I'll stick to maturity and tolerance, like an adult.

A friend of mine is from the country formerly known as East Germany. She asked me what this RIC thing was about , I explained. She asked is our government f**king mad. To her that would be the same as the German state comemorating the Stasi.

There's actually a Stasi museum set up by the German government to support research, development, commemoration along with the exhibition of evidence and research relating to east German politics.

Just imagine a DMP / RIC museum..... nah don't.

Maybe have a little chat with your friend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Time to unsubscribe. I don't know how some posters have the energy for all the hatred they have. I'll stick to maturity and tolerance, like an adult.

Sounds more like throwing your toys out of the pram to me. Nothing like an adult tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭fundi

BarryD2 wrote: »
    I expect all unionists might expect is a bit of honesty first up. You & others seem to suffer from some delusion that all the old IRB /IRA did was honorable and for the greater glory of mother Ireland. The 'Christian Brother' history of Ireland is nasty and corrosive.

For starters there must be very good reasons why the records of the Land Commission are still withheld from the public. Why, we'll wait & see but I fully expect from accounts I've come across that the boyos involved in the 'war of independence' were nicely looked after in terms of grand farms for themselves. Good old style ethnic cleansing. Were they fighting for the republican ideal or just because they had their eye on the neighbours land?

Correct. There are two sides to every story, and in Ireland the victors wrote the history books, and done the brainwashing.

There's actually a Stasi museum set up by the German government to support research, development, commemoration along with the exhibition of evidence and research relating to east German politics.

I was in the KGB museum in Riga, it certainly wasn't set up to commemorate the KGB rather their victims.
    The Stasi museum wasn't set up to commemorate the Stasi. You do know that comemoration means remember and respect by definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭mick malones mauser

Shocking to think that people openly admit to having had grandparents who were members of that mob of turncoat lackeys The RIC...
    No shame

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

fundi wrote: »
    Correct. There are two sides to every story, and in Ireland the victors wrote the history books, and done the brainwashing.

So the RIC and the Tans are the victims?
    Good man Leo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I'd completely support an equivalent here, lest we forget.
    Just like the east Germans.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Just because European jews started moving to Palestine which didn't exist as an independent state didn't give the racist European zionists any right to form a state there.

Why do you feel that Palestinians organising attacks on those planning to steal their country is some sort of issue?

No no, it’s not that it didn’t exist as an independent state. It didn’t exist as a state full stop. There was no government there. The word “Palestinian” just refers to everyone living in the geographic area of Palestine. It doesn’t account for the fact there was no prevailing national identity or political movement. It was populated by nomadic tribes fighting each other half the time who hadn’t bothered cultivating the land for the hundreds of years they’d been there. It was a swampy wasteland before the Jews got there.

They Arabs sold them the crappiest swamps which they had to spend decades converting into fertile land which eventually was better than the Arab land and they were resentful for it.

If they didn’t want Jews coming in they shouldn’t have sold them the land. If they wanted to voice their objections they should have formed a government as they were allowed to do by the brits. If they didn’t want to get kicked out they shouldn’t have launched a war.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

John Bruton is not a member of the house of lords FYI.

I have a lot of respect for Bruton - speaks so much common sense it's hard for most to take it in all at once.

:cool:

*Whoosh*

I was in the KGB museum in Riga, it certainly wasn't set up to commemorate the KGB rather their victims.
    The Stasi museum wasn't set up to commemorate the Stasi. You do know that comemoration means remember and respect by definition.

Settle there , don't be taking things too serious.

I know what commemoration with extra M means.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

But thats how its done. On a typical bath, it is correct to screw up the tap for the water to run.
    Apart from the obvious that the tap is rotated anti-clockwise to let the water flow, Flanagan is the type who would rotate the bath. He may also be a fan of early morning programming on LyricFM.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,207 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It was something like that (an academic approach) which was suggested by the Expert Committee. A formal state commemoration is inappropriate.

Settle there , don't be taking things too serious.

I know what commemoration with extra M means.

Apologies I didn't realise this was a joke for you. The extra m was a typo cheers for pointing it out though.

Shocking to think that people openly admit to having had grandparents who were members of that mob of turncoat lackeys The RIC...
    No shame

I've none whatsoever, you cant erase the past.
    Mine are buried within sight of the Republican plots in Glasnevin .
    On a quiet day , you can hear them spinning in their graves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Your mask of tolerance slipped in an earlier post.
    And I quote.

"How the fück would you know what he did or didn't do? Just keep making assumptions and tarring them all with the same brush. Sure he'd be a saint if he had been on the other side murdering before and behind him in the name of "freedom".

If he'd have been on the other side he'd have been a murderer?
    Says it all, off with you loyalist!

Apologies I didn't realise this was a joke for you. The extra m was a typo cheers for pointing it out though.

No need for apologies.
    You're fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

You'd have more success (and reasoning) arguing with flat earthers than shinner bots.

because the RUC were a terrorist organisation, or at least as good as one.
    there is no such thing as a shinner bot also.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

Zebra3 wrote: »
    It was the British by their brutal executions of the leaders of 1916 who managed to sway public.

I’ve never understood how one can describe the British executing the 1916 leaders as brutal or disproportionate.

When you and your squad run a suicide mission leading to half of Dublin being levelled, Widespread civilian death and the diverting of military resources during a world war because you thought you knew what what was good for the Irish people better than they themselves (it wasn’t like the Irish people had an assembly and decided to declare independence and sent Pearse in) and wanted to fulfil your dream of dying for the cause.

What does one expect the British to do in this situation? Sry, u don’t get to do all that and just walk away. The brits just wanted to deal with it so they could get back to fighting Germans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Sean.3516 wrote: »
    I’ve never understood how one can describe the British executing the 1916 leaders as brutal or disproportionate.

When you and your squad run a suicide mission leading to half of Dublin being levelled, Widespread civilian death and the diverting of military resources during a world war because you thought you knew what what was good for the Irish people better than they themselves (it wasn’t like the Irish people had an assembly and decided to declare independence and sent Pearse in) and wanted to fulfil your dream of dying for the cause.

What does one expect the British to do in this situation? Sry, u don’t get to do all that and just walk away. The brits just wanted to deal with it so they could get back to fighting Germans.
    Sorry but WTAF?
    If you want to be brittish move up north or across the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Loving all the keyboard warriors on here and on social media. My grandad was in the RIC and like most in it he wasn't a murderer or a traitor, he was just a regular guy trying to provide for his family. But of course, he should have taken the moral high ground, quit his job and let them starve. I'd like to see how many parents now would be prepared to put their country before the needs of their children. Not many I'd wager.

Ah but you see, the Christian Bother version of Irish Republicanism means that its better to starve or to emigrate to Britain then to take the Kings half crown.
    All the while, the Christian Brothers raped their way through half of Irelands schools. A great bunch of lads who created a lovely state for us all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    I'd completely support an equivalent here, lest we forget.
    Just like the east Germans.
    I would actually like the history of the RIC to have a section in a museum, maybe it exists already? I love history and that is the place for this along with the B&Ts, but not commemoration.
    Best museum I visited was the war museum in Vienna, massive room with Hitler declaring War playing in the background and huge Nazi flags draped over the landings, was shocking to say the least and would send a chill down anyone's spine but it was good to experience how shocking it was.

Advertisement