Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIC and DMP to be commemorated this month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

"I didn’t want families of RIC members who have waited you know, up to and including 100 years to have their ancestors and family members honoured. I didn’t want them running at the gauntlet of civil disturbance on the streets of Dublin because that’s the exact opposite of reconciliation."

Another piece from the minister above,
    " honoured " he says, he still hasn't copped on and is still defending this.
    Someone needs to start coaching these lads big time, because if they keep at this and it does come up at election time and they claim the RIC and DMP need to be "honoured" then they can forget about a lot of votes.
    Commemorated and honoured are two very different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

That is just your bigoted nature coming out.
    The sad part is it is that mindset that is the driver of these DMP/RIC protests.

It is the equivalent to giving Bono Freedom of Dublin city so he is entitled to graze sheep. It does not mean anything other than a gesture.

There is a certain level of immaturity in this anti-English mindset.
    Plus you are conversing in your first language English while doing so... :rolleyes:

The likes of OBEs are not just gestures.

Many people have refused to accepted them because the "honours" are in the name of an evil empire.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/15/howard-gayle-mbe-liverpool-first-black-footballer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Fine Gael have been getting vitriol and abuse on Twitter and FB for a couple of years now, of the most extreme kind depending on the issue/**** up.

But suddenly it is shocking? :):) Charlie is backing up like crazy to get himself out of his self dug hole but still hasn't figured out how to let go of the shovel.

The reason they are shocked is because this time it was the majority not only the fringes of social media, they had other parties, majority of social media and traditional media all dog piling them.

The voters around laois wouldn't be the type to also to go infor this type of bull**** so he probably did more damage to his core vote than leo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

The root of the whole mess though was the Act of Union which dissolved our home rule parliament in 1800, which was implemented specifically as a punitive measure following the 1798 rebellion - and that rebellion was primarily fuelled by anger at the routine discrimination against Catholics by the ruling Protestant class.
    You do realise the majority of the leaders of the 1798 rebellion were Protestant or Presbyterian (including Wolfe Tone) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

You do realise the majority of the leaders of the 1798 rebellion were Protestant or Presbyterian (including Wolfe Tone) ?

That's right. The Presbyterians were actually pissed off with the Anglican Communion crowd, who were the main sectarian bastards around the place at that time. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

More credit to them, but it doesn't really refute his point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I'm no Republican diesel smuggler but Flanagan must be smoking some potent stuff to think this was ever a good, or even tasteful idea.

The RIC were a thoroughly discredited force with scant legitimacy among the populace by the time they were dismantled.

Speaks volumes that he wants to honour "law and order" no matter what the carry-on they got up to. I'm sure the descendants of those that were in the force would rather forget about it; unless there's some latent 'let's bring back billy-club British state sponsored paramilitary style policing' movement in Ireland that I'm unaware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Any god fearing man (or not) with a bit of decency in him can recognise injustice and torture.
    We were heathens, so we're the Scots and every other country England invaded, we had to be humanised and civilised by the very civilised English.
    They were the nazis of their time, yes I stress nazis of their time, they strutted around the world like Hitler did in his time.
    They have changed, I acknowledge that, but no force that defended their tactics in that era deserves to be commerated or honoured.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Speaks volumes that he wants to honour "law and order" no matter what the carry-on they got up to. I'm sure the descendants of those that were in the force would rather forget about it; unless there's some latent 'let's bring back billy-club British state sponsored paramilitary style policing' movement in Ireland that I'm unaware of.

There are parallels with how we treat the current force in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Calhoun wrote: »
    There are parallels with how we treat the current force in this.

Is suspect that Flanagan is of the sort that believes police forces should be respected no matter what and because he says so.

The reality is, in every country, the legitimacy and respect for the police force from the population is hard-earned and needs to be maintained and worked for every day.

Just look what happened in Hong Kong. A highly regarded policing service (not without its problems but it was commonly regarded to be the finest on the continent) spunked centuries of built-up good will and respect in a year, and turned itself into a crude militia unit doing politicians' bidding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Maybe the government wants to honour the black and tans for their job in burning down Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Humphries saying this farce is postponed for later while Noel Rock and O'Dowd saying it should be cancelled.
    FG all over the place on this issue right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Humphries saying this farce is postponed for later while Noel Rock and O'Dowd saying it should be cancelled.
    FG all over the place on this issue right now.

Sure according to the Journal, O Dowd has already fired the starting pistol for the election

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Akabusi

I can't remember the last time we had a genuinely decent government, P Flynn must be one of Flanagan's heroes. This latest fiasco was the final straw, next election they are not getting my vote, not even a transfer.

It was a terrible idea to try and commemorate the RIC however some of the posts in this thread are toxic. Why the need to go abusing people or telling them they should be ashamed of themselves because their great grandfather served in the RIC? Should they hide away from the public or wear some identifiable clothing so that we can stay clear of them so there shame doesn't spread to us?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,859 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Akabusi wrote: »
    I can't remember the last time we had a genuinely decent government

These guys are ok. Disgraceful re housing and health but as good as we've had.

We've never had a good government. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Birds of a feather flock together, traitors in this case. The type of spineless morally bankrupt cretins that make up Fine Gael today would have been RIC members, G men, paid informers and the like 100 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭Floppybits

"I didn’t want families of RIC members who have waited you know, up to and including 100 years to have their ancestors and family members honoured. I didn’t want them running at the gauntlet of civil disturbance on the streets of Dublin because that’s the exact opposite of reconciliation."

Another piece from the minister above,
    " honoured " he says, he still hasn't copped on and is still defending this.
    Someone needs to start coaching these lads big time, because if they keep at this and it does come up at election time and they claim the RIC and DMP need to be "honoured" then they can forget about a lot of votes.
    Commemorated and honoured are two very different things.

He even went so far as to try turn this on Sinn Fein by saying Mary Lou was calling for people to get a demonstrate against this.

Unreal stuff from Flanagan but then again that is FG's way of doing things, ignore any protests, call anyone with a different opinions to them troublemakers, play the victim and finally when none of that works finally call a halt to the stupidity.

How long now till we get an FG club member coming out now saying they have had death threats over this and have reported it to the Gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭maccored

The Nal wrote: »

because we keep voting for ****e ones, its as simple as that. 'oh we have no option .... blah blah blah' ... im sure someone will try that excuse

I thought the governments in the 90's the rainbow government and the FF/PD government that followed were good. The decisions they made put the country on the right path. Yes by the end of the decade they had started losing the run of the themselves.

Since then it has been all down hill, it seems that FG seen the way the governments of the early 2000's up till the crash behaved, throwing money around, pay rises galore for themselves, that FG said to themselves that when they get their chance in government they are going to behave even worse to make up for having to watch the previous governments. :)

Floppybits wrote: »
    I thought the governments in the 90's the rainbow government and the FF/PD government that followed were good. The decisions they made put the country on the right path. Yes by the end of the decade they had started losing the run of the themselves.

Since then it has been all down hill, it seems that FG seen the way the governments of the early 2000's up till the crash behaved, throwing money around, pay rises galore for themselves, that FG said to themselves that when they get their chance in government they are going to behave even worse to make up for having to watch the previous governments. :)

Governments, like nappies, need to be changed regularly, for the same reason.

• Advertisement

Aegir wrote: »
    Governments, like nappies, need to be changed regularly, for the same reason.

I agree, politicians should never be allowed get too comfortable in their seats. I think that is what happened with FF when they got to cocky, thought they could do no wrong, knew better than everyone else and took their eye of the ball and drove us all over a cliff.

The problem is that the we only have a decision as to who the main party in power is either FF or FG and who will be the poor wretches that will prop them up only to be destroyed in the next election. It would be great to have another choice as the main party besides these 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Jesus wept, look what Leo is saying now.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1214950451898130432

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Akabusi

The only credit i would give this Gov is in regards to how they have handled Brexit so far

He just doesn't know when to let it go. Always has to get in the last dig.

J Mysterio wrote: »

Its like an insane parent or partner trying to coerce people into doing things for money.

He is not mad just disappointed, as we weren't all mature enough no North of Ireland for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

J Mysterio wrote: »

Wow. Have they taken leave of their senses?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭buried

Obnoxious brat. Let him keep it up. Soon we'll be rid of his insufferable noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Wow. Have they taken leave of their senses?

Hope Leo isn't expecting agreement or love from the responses on Twitter.

The United Ireland he wants (where we’re back in the UK) is probably out the window alright. Did he think he could bully us into it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,859 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The United Ireland he wants (where we’re back in the UK) is probably out the window alright.

lol

Advertisement