Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIC and DMP to be commemorated this month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Jesus wept, look what Leo is saying now.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1214950451898130432

I don't understand where he's coming from and factually it's incorrect. All it will take for a United Ireland to come into being is a majority voting for it on both sides of the border. I somehow doubt a lack of RIC commemoration is going to make a blind bit of difference to whether or not that is a good idea. The only ones that will get upset by it were never going to vote for unity anyway.

There seems that there is this perception in political circles that the republic will have to change drastically to win unity, flags anthems and political systems will all have to change. Legally, this isn't the case at all and I cannot see how any government would win over a nationalist majority on the island to appease a few unionists in the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I don't understand where he's coming from and factually it's incorrect. All it will take for a United Ireland to come into being is a majority voting for it on both sides of the border. I somehow doubt a lack of RIC commemoration is going to make a blind bit of difference to whether or not that is a good idea. The only ones that will get upset by it were never going to vote for unity anyway.

There seems that there is this perception in political circles that the republic will have to change drastically to win unity, flags anthems and political systems will all have to change. Legally, this isn't the case at all and I cannot see how any government would win over a nationalist majority on the island to appease a few unionists in the north.

I think Leo has subconsciously given Unionists a veto. If they don't like something proposed in a UI then they can reject it. Which couldn't be more wrong.

I can't see any other reasoning here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

This is fantastic. FG are hurtling towards a crushing defeat in the election. What a petulant and tone-deaf statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Looks like he wants to lick unionisms ring. Not a price worth paying for a United Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Leo in full meltdown mode now.

Was no fan of Enda, but Leo wouldn't have been fit to have laced his boots.

Just like the Maria Bailey episode before this one, there's no way Kenny would have allowed this horseshlt to rumble on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,016 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

McMurphy wrote: »
    Leo in full meltdown mode now.

Was no fan of Enda, but Leo wouldn't have been fit to have laced his boots.

Just like the Maria Bailey episode before this one, there's no way Kenny would have allowed this horseshlt to rumble on.

Pure crap.
    Every utterance from Leo is yet another nail in his political coffin. He’ll take the party down with him.
    FG backed the wrong man and it’s come back to haunt them.
    As I said earlier, it’s as if they want out of Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

**** him, who the hell does he think he is? The ballot box will decide that in the North.

A United Ireland does not require that we bend the knee to a crypto-unionist version of our history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

**** him, who the hell does he think he is? The ballot box will decide that in the North.

A United Ireland does not require that we bend the knee to a crypto-unionist version of our history.

It's a total red herring anyway. This isn't a Unionist demand and no Northern Irish Councils were even invited to the ceremony. It's a demand from the HARP Society of retired Gardai with ancestors who served in the RIC and DMP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

He's a cheeky ignorant pup IMO.
    He's playing tennis with the wrong issue. Every decent person on all sides agrees the tans were bad. The RIC were affiliated with them.
    Is he just stupid or trying to make some nasty point? I'd be amazed to hear even the DUP cite our lack of willingness to commemorate the Black and Tans as an issue. FG will likely try say it was every outfit bar the tans, because it wasn't about the tans, we wouldn't acknowledge. Ignorant nasty politics off FG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Plenty on here seem to think so also.

That gives me a great idea for a commemoration, maybe we could burn down Cork again.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Plenty on here seem to think so also.

I think it's more got to do with being hurt that their 'team' is catching it in the neck for a terrible proposal tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Sums them up nicely. The apologists on here won't acknowledge this work however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Sums them up nicely. The apologists on here won't acknowledge this work however.

The apologists will be back on the thread again shortly I'm sure, to back leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

A UI will involve change Ireland politically an extra 2 million people will change the balance of power. A new anthem a new flag and a new capital are a small price to pay. Anyway it won't be them up there joining us it will be a new start.

Not that it related to a UI but any new commemoration should make it clear from the start that illegal and outageous acts by British forces are not being forgotten or in any way being commemorated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    It's a total red herring anyway. This isn't a Unionist demand and no Northern Irish Councils were even invited to the ceremony. It's a demand from the HARP Society of retired Gardai with ancestors who served in the RIC and DMP.

Yes, I've been saying this for the past two days on here.
    This is a totally FG made disaster (for them).
    A MoJ who has promised a small, but for him influential lobby group of ex-guards (more than likely FG members/voters I am guessing) backed by a leader who doesn't know his arse from his elbow, who don't like the fact their ancestors were at the forefront of opposing Irish independence.

He and FG did not propose such an event to the EAG nor did they bring it forward to the All-Party Committee on commemorations, both groups specifically setup to ensure the right thing is done in a very difficult set of commemorations and events.
    It would be interesting to find out if this is the only time FG bypassed the agreed structures during this period?

It is as obvious to anyone with a brain that this was indeed another FG arrogant clusterfck.
    They rightly got their arses handed to them because the proposal was simply wrong in every aspect and no amount of 'sinister forces', 'threats' and 'a UI is now further away' bull will wash.
    To compound matters, they dare to lecture and point the finger at the people of the country for daring to express their anger and dismay.

Varadkar in particular, may regret letting his immature penchant for wanting to get the last word in on this yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

The Nal wrote: »
    These guys are ok. Disgraceful re housing and health but as good as we've had.

We've never had a good government. Ever.

Not sure all would agree with you that the Irish are poor at governing themselves, but there is a lot of evidence indicating that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

It's clear that the real reason for Fergal Keane's attitude is his 'tainted blood'.

Christ, will you listen to yourselfs. Tainted blood. FFS!

It's this stone age primitive attitude that keeps people in the dark about the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Varadkar's advisers on 140 and 150 grand a year?

Incredible waste of taxpayers money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

saabsaab wrote: »
    A UI will involve change Ireland politically an extra 2 million people will change the balance of power. A new anthem a new flag and a new capital are a small price to pay. Anyway it won't be them up there joining us it will be a new start.

Not that it related to a UI but any new commemoration should make it clear from the start that illegal and outageous acts by British forces are not being forgotten or in any way being commemorated.

A new capital? Why so? Why don't FG ask to join the union again, spare them the bother of pandering and lickspittling to increasingly irrelevant calvinist reactionaries in Ulster. Unionism is on its death bed, time to turn off the life support.

Not sure all would agree with you that the Irish are poor at governing themselves, but there is a lot of evidence indicating that is the case.

Are we getting shot for wanting a democratic vote? No? I'd call that a win. What have you got to counter that, the price of egg imports?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

It f cking is; you should be stripped of citizenship.

Northern Catholics who get British Passports because they're cheaper shouldn't ever be entitled to Irish passports.

You are funny, but also a daily and potent reminder of why a UI will never happen in my lifetime.

Too much blind hatred in too many people.
    Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Varadkar is totally right, if Nationalists & Republicans really WANT a United Ireland, then commemorations must be balanced.

If the brutality & death of the actions of Rebels can be commemorated, then surely the police force can also be commemorated, otherwise why would Unionists be even slightly interested in Uniting with a State that dismisses them & their history outright.

Unionists biggest fear is the takeover of Northern Ireland, both geographically & culturally, with their British identity & history being rewritten in favour of the Irish Nationalist/Republican version....

Therefore we commemorate & celebrate the Rebels & "the old IRA" whilst stamping on the RIC & the DMP. I guess Unionists might forsee the same fate in a hundred years time for the memory of the RUC as the bad guys, with the Provisional IRA being commemorated & celebrated as the good guys and the saviours of the natives!

A every unpleasant prospect for Unionists, indeed a very scary prospect for all of us if the Provo memory is to be celebrated (which is what SF is desperately working towards).

Going forward, commemorations both Irish & British need to be balanced.

Varadkar is totally right, if Nationalists & Republicans really WANT a United Ireland, then commemorations must be balanced.

If the brutality & death of the actions of Rebels can be commemorated, then surely the police force can also be commemorated, otherwise why would Unionists be even slightly interested in Uniting with a State that dismisses them & their history outright.

Unionists biggest fear is the takeover of Northern Ireland, both geographically & culturally, with their British identity & history being rewritten in favour of the Irish Nationalist/Republican version....

Therefore we commemorate & celebrate the Rebels & "the old IRA" whilst stamping on the RIC & the DMP. I guess Unionists might forsee the same fate in a hundred years time for the memory of the RUC as the bad guys, with the Provisional IRA being commemorated & celebrated as the good guys and the saviours if the natives!

A every unpleasant prospect for Unionists, indeed a very scary prospect for all of us if the Provo memory is to be celebrated (which is what SF is desperately working towards).

No, this is Ireland. We should commemorate our own and not our enemies. Let them commemorate their own.

I don’t know why there are so many loons who think all these things should for some reason be all about balance. **** the unionists, they’ve nothing to be annoyed about because Ireland is nothing to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

SAVE-20200108-184532.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

why would Unionists be even slightly interested in Uniting with a State that

It's out of Unionists' hands. Why are people pretending Unionists have a veto on a United Ireland? What part of 'one person - one vote' do you not understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

he got it very wrong but i do actually understand what he is driving at

Therefore we commemorate & celebrate the Rebels & "the old IRA" whilst stamping on the RIC & the DMP. I guess Unionists might forsee the same fate in a hundred years time for the memory of the RUC as the bad guys, with the Provisional IRA being commemorated & celebrated as the good guys and the saviours of the natives!

A border poll has nothing got to do with Leo throwing his toys out of the pram.

• Advertisement

Nonsense for a state to commemorate entities that murdered to stop that state existing IMO.
    I've no problem with the state acknowledging the Irish or British be they Unionist or C of E. Why should I honour the Black and Tans to what, 'prove' that?
    You are mixing up a lot of things here. Commemorating the Black and Tans has as much to do with Morris Dancing as it does the 'old' IRA, SF or the DUP for that matter.
    "Therefore we commemorate & celebrate the Rebels & "the old IRA" whilst stamping on the RIC & the DMP" as we should. One was fighting for your freedoms, the other was fighting to stop your nation existing.
    Let me know if the British government decide to commemorate IRA Michael Collins et. all.

Advertisement