Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIC and DMP to be commemorated this month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

It was RIC officers who murdered the mayor of Cork in front of his family. It was members of the RIC who shot and murdered a pregnant mother of three children in Kinvara Co. Galway.

Can you please provide the context, background, and evidence of these two awful murders.

Thanks,
    Curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

One day perhaps the concept of Irishness will stop being defined by '800 years!' but today is not that day.

I can't see the Germanic Jewish people commemorating the Nazis anytime soon, nor should they.
    Also I don't recall any Stasi commemorations taking place before or after Germany unified.
    I think a lot of Irishness is defacto anti-Britishness, particularly for republicans. For the record I think Leo's plan was utterly ham-fisted and ill judged.

A lot of our history relates to anti-britishness, if it didn't we mightn't be here to be all apologist for it.
    There was no right way to do it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭buried

One day perhaps the concept of Irishness will stop being defined by '800 years!' but today is not that day.

It will never be defined by glorifying those who wanted to wipe us off the face of the earth either.

Hang around another 800 years and you'll still never see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

saabsaab wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/views/analysis/padraig-og-o-ruairc-ric-legacy-burns-a-century-on-974105.html

Just read the link, grim stuff indeed. Yes, I agree part of it (RIC) but treated as separate. Many ordinary RIC didn't go along with this kind of stuff, would you accept that at least?

I do agree with that. They weren't all bad apples and indeed I pass thr monument to Jeremiah Mee on the Ballymoe Road in Glenamaddy, Galway on a very regular basis.

However the RIC as a force is inextricably linked to the Black & Tans and should not be commemorated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

pjohnson wrote: »
    I suppose given the state of housing nowadays is it any wonder FG acolytes have no issue with evictions :pac:

Fine Gael.

Vulture funds = good
    Homeless crisis = normal
    Health crisis = like that when we got here
    Insurance fraud = acceptable
    Black and Tans = misunderstood unsung heroes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Can you please provide the context, background & proof of these two awful murders.

Thanks,
    Curious.

No I suggest you do your own research, I linked the article in the Examiner.
    The woman in Galway was a young mother of three accused of sheltering IRA members, whether it was true or not was irrelevant as members of the RIC that day acted as judge jury and executioner. The reason I expanded on her death was the article was sketchy about her. I was working in Kinvara years ago and I was at the home of the murdered woman doing work when the story was told to me. I was shown the bullet holes in the gable of the farmhouse. Members the Quinn family to the best of my knowledge still live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I think a lot of Irishness is defacto anti-Britishness, particularly for republicans. For the record I think Leo's plan was utterly ham-fisted and ill judged.

I don't know a Unionist, republican, British person or any other person for that matter that is that one dimensional. Maybe if the only Irish people you know are people who post on specific political topics here, there might be some semblance of sense in what you say. But I think I will stick to my original view of your huffy comment, it is typical self deprecating nonsense.

No I suggest you do your own research, I linked the article in the Examiner.
    The woman in Galway was a young mother of three accused of sheltering IRA members, whether it was true or not was irrelevant as members of the RIC that day acted as judge jury and executioner. The reason I expanded on her death was the article was sketchy about her. I was working in Kinvara years ago and I was at the home of the murdered woman doing work when the story was told to me. I was shown the bullet holes in the gable of the farmhouse. Members the Quinn family to the best of my knowledge still live there.

Correct. And the RTE documentary on one have a podcast giving all the historical facts surrounding that poor woman's murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Can people please stop giving the facts about RIC crimes so we can all live happily in la la land?

Somebody's grandad, blah blah.....

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I do agree with that. They weren't all bad apples and indeed I pass thr monument to Jeremiah Mee on the Ballymoe Road in Glenamaddy, Galway on a very regular basis.

However the RIC as a force is inextricably linked to the Black & Tans and should not be commemorated.

Nobody has a problem with them being commemorated as they are every year by the police group or thier families.
    Where Leo and Charlie came adrift was the plan for the state to honour/commemorate the organisations.

• Advertisement

Nobody has a problem with them being commemorated as they are every year by the police group or thier families.
    Where Leo and Charlie came adrift was the plan for the state to honour/commemorate the organisations.

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Can you please provide the context, background, and evidence of these two awful murders.

Thanks,
    Curious.

Both of these terrible crimes are well known to most Irish people, I'm surprised you don't seem to even have heard of at least the one about the Lord Mayor of Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I think a lot of Irishness is defacto anti-Britishness, particularly for republicans.

We watch their TV, support their football teams, speak their language, we've emmigrated there in the hundreds of thousands and integrated, we've welcomed 200,000 British people here in the last two decades.

Anti-British? There's nowhere on this Earth more accomodating of the British than Ireland despite their rotten legacy here. We are a very forgive-and-forget people.

But it's not enough for some, they want us to bend-the-knee to our colonial tormentors. Fuck that, don't push it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Gemma says we are sheeple :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I can't believe anyone could have believed this would be a good idea. I'd love to see a transcript of the around the table discussion when it was agreed.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I can't believe anyone could have believed this would be a good idea. I'd love to see a transcript of the around the table discussion when it was agreed.

Flanagan wanted it and they likely wrote the script around that.
    I think for some families it might have been absolution they were looking for.

Both of these terrible crimes are well known to most Irish people, I'm surprised you don't seem to even have heard of at least the one about the Lord Mayor of Cork.

And what became of the policemen who murdered the Lord Mayor and the woman? Life sentences or what? I must be one of those Irish people who missed the detail of these two murders.

Hopefully they received life sentences.

And what became of the policemen who murdered the Lord Mayor and the woman? Life sentences or what? I must be one of those Irish people who missed the detail of these two murders.

Unfortunately none of them were ever charged for any of these murders.

They didn't, again a little research would enlighten you. Clearly you as an Irish person have no interest in your nations history.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Varadkar is the equivalent of the Workers Party/Democratic Left entryists who destroyed the Labour Party in pursuit of a ministerial pension for themselves. He isn't an FGer. He's a mé-feiner. His latest hissy fit is typical of spoilt children who don't get their own way. He has been a disaster in every ministerial post that he's held. He's been a disaster for FG. The sooner FG is rid of him the better. He has banjaxed the electoral prospects for a lot of FG wannabe TDs and put existing FG seats in danger. Coveney had been voted leader by the FG party but a stitch-up by the FG parliamentary party crowned Varadkar. Coveney is a far shrewder operator than Varadkar. Varadkar is very much a creature of the dimwitted, press release recycling presstitutes in the Dublin media. This Black and Tan commemoration badly damaged FG's credibility but the petulant narcissist Varadkar, much like some of the neo-Unionist exhibitionists here, hasn't the self-awareness to realise the damage he has done to FG. Varadkar is the kind of individual who'd want to be the only contestant on a new series of Love Island.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

They didn't, again a little research would enlighten you. Clearly you as an Irish person have no interest in your nations history.

Keep your hair on, I have read about many murders, but I missed out on these two!

Hardly a crime on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

jmcc wrote: »
    Varadkar is the equivalent of the Workers Party/Democratic Left entryists who destroyed the Labour Party in pursuit of a ministerial pension for themselves. He isn't an FGer. He's a mé-feiner. His latest hissy fit is typical of spoilt children who don't get their own way. He has been a disaster in every ministerial post that he's held. He's been a disaster for FG. The sooner FG is rid of him the better. He has banjaxed the electoral prospects for a lot of FG wannabe TDs and put existing FG seats in danger. Coveney had been voted leader by the FG party but a stitch-up by the FG parliamentary party crowned Varadkar. Coveney is a far shrewder operator than Varadkar. Varadkar is very much a creature of the dimwitted, press release recycling presstitutes in the Dublin media. This Black and Tan commemoration is badly damaged FG's credibility but the petulant narcissist Varadkar, much like some of the neo-Unionist exhibitionists here, hasn't the self-awareness to realise the damage he has done to FG. Varadkar is the kind of individual who'd want to be the only contestant on a new series of Love Island.

Regards...jmcc

That sums it up.

I believe he will leave politics once removed from his current job. On this I feel he was told by Flanagan it was a good idea and he let his ignorance and arrogance take care of the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Varadkar is the equivalent of the Workers Party/Democratic Left entryists who destroyed the Labour Party in pursuit of a ministerial pension for themselves. He isn't an FGer. He's a meiner. His latest hissy fit is typical of spoilt children who don't get their own way. He has been a disaster in every ministerial post that he's held. He's been a disaster for FG. The sooner FG is rid of him the better. He has banjaxed the electoral prospects for a lot of FG wannabe TDs and put existing FG seats in danger. Coveney had been voted leader by the FG party but a stitch-up by the FG parliamentary party crowned Varadkar. Coveney is a far shrewder operator than Varadkar. Varadkar is very much a creature of the dimwitted, press release recycling presstitutes in the Dublin media. This Black and Tan commemoration badly damaged FG's credibility but the petulant narcissist Varadkar, much like some of the neo-Unionist exhibitionists here, hasn't the self-awareness to realise the damage he has done to FG. Varadkar is the kind of individual who'd want to be the only contestant on a new series of Love Island.

Regards...jmcc

QFT jmcc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

We watch their TV, support their football teams, speak their language, we've emmigrated there in the hundreds of thousands and integrated, we've welcomed 200,000 British people here in the last two decades.

Anti-British? There's nowhere on this Earth more accomodating of the British than Ireland despite their rotten legacy here. We are a very forgive-and-forget people.

But it's not enough for some, they want us to bend-the-knee to our colonial tormentors. Fuck that, don't push it.

yes fair enough. There is a love/hate thing going on. I have no Brit connections btw.

Keep your hair on, I have read about many murders, but I missed out on these two!

Hardly a crime on my part.

You are commenting on a thread about the comemoration of the RIC surely its reasonable that you would be expected to have a little fore knowledge.
    You missed prehaps the most prominent ,that is the murder of the mayor of Cork. Did you also miss out on the present mayor stating his reasons as to why he would not attend the ceremony. It was all over the media. The murder got mentioned several times.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Varadkar is the equivalent of the Workers Party/Democratic Left entryists who destroyed the Labour Party in pursuit of a ministerial pension for themselves. He isn't an FGer. He's a meiner. His latest hissy fit is typical of spoilt children who don't get their own way. He has been a disaster in every ministerial post that he's held. He's been a disaster for FG. The sooner FG is rid of him the better. He has banjaxed the electoral prospects for a lot of FG wannabe TDs and put existing FG seats in danger. Coveney had been voted leader by the FG party but a stitch-up by the FG parliamentary party crowned Varadkar. Coveney is a far shrewder operator than Varadkar. Varadkar is very much a creature of the dimwitted, press release recycling presstitutes in the Dublin media. This Black and Tan commemoration badly damaged FG's credibility but the petulant narcissist Varadkar, much like some of the neo-Unionist exhibitionists here, hasn't the self-awareness to realise the damage he has done to FG. Varadkar is the kind of individual who'd want to be the only contestant on a new series of Love Island.

Regards...jmcc

you were going to vote FG before this cock up were you? I have stated on this site for years that Leo is a shytehawk btw

That's a thing annoys me. Many of us have English relatives, enjoy the sport, music, culture and we even speak the language, yet we get called out for holding a 100 year old grudge against the British for not wanting to celebrate the often murderous organisation created to keep us from becoming our own nation and by our own Taoiseach and Justice minister? Get to f***. Off to Celebrity Come Dancing with you Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

It's not like people think about this 24/7 and their entire lives are defined by it, by why should we allow our government to dictate to us a false narrative of history or commemorate those who repressed us? It's a total nonsense.

I was actually very happy with Varadkar in terms of how he has handled Brexit to date. He did a great job on that front. I was happy to put almost everthing else to one side to focus on that single issue. He made all the right noises there RE Ireland, but now that is all but resolved in terms of the 'Irish question'. He has just blown off his own foot though, barely a few months after winning my good will.

I just wonder how Coveney is taking all this. He is a staunch republican.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Jeffrey Donaldson isn't happy with us either if any of ye follow him on Twitter, oh the irony getting a lecture from the DUP!

Advertisement