Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIC and DMP to be commemorated this month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Bryson, like a lot of them, is stuck in some sort of time warp, trying to recreate the heydays of the covenant and the Anglo-Irish agreement protests.

None of them actually have an economic plan on how to revitalise a once booming economy.

The best they can come up with is asking for handouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

The actual fact is, and people can take this or leave it, I have voted FG, FF, Labour in GE's in the past and have never voted for the SF candidate here as I never really thought that much of him as a Rep. If he is replaced now with Matt Carthy, I would certainly consider giving my first vote in a GE to SF.

I have voted for them in local elections as I have for other parties too. I am actually the archetypal 'floating voter'.

Casper the floating voter:)

I presume if matt runs it will be Cavan/Monaghan.
    Caoimheain O Chaolain is the SF rep there is he not, is it him you don't like?
    I thought he was a good rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,210 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I presume if matt runs it will be Cavan/Monaghan.
    Caoimheain O Chaolain is the SF rep there is he not, is it him you don't like?
    I thought he was a good rep.

He may be a good rep, I don't think he ever lost his seat after gaining it, so he must be doing something right. I have my reasons for not giving him a vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Bryson, like a lot of them, is stuck in some sort of time warp, trying to recreate the heydays of the covenant and the Anglo-Irish agreement protests.

None of them actually have an economic plan on how to revitalise a once booming economy.

Molyneaux was right it turns out imo. The Anglo Irish Agreement, being the first time the British faced down Unionism and effectively ended their veto, was 'the worst thing that ever happened to Unionism'.
    It was downhill from there to now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

How is Jamie Bryson supposed to come up with a plan to revitalise the NI economy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I think Regina is a far bigger problem than Charlie. As what Regina did is more tangible to anyone regardless of any political persuasion. Greed, entitlement, fraud, a con-artist.

Whereas the anti-Charlie brigade will only be the fringe madser element or those looking for kudos.

For example look at the title of this you tube video 'The Treacherous Ignorance of FG.' :rolleyes:

You are describing Fine Gael there.
    Why is it always painted as a blinkered 'just 'cause' dislike? I think Flanagan was found not fit for purpose after his picking up the mantel from Fitzgerald with the whistle blower email he didn't think was of note. Then followed by this farce. He's old guard FG and not very good at that.
    FG need Coveney at the helm and to put Flanagan out to pasture and jettison the failed millennials Varadkar, Harris and Murphy IMO.
    Also treating the tax payer decent would be nice.
    Some rando posting a youtube video is no more or less an authority than you or I.

I think Regina is a far bigger problem than Charlie. As what Regina did is more tangible to anyone regardless of any political persuasion. Greed, entitlement, fraud, a con-artist.

Whereas the anti-Charlie brigade will only be the fringe madser element or those looking for kudos.

For example look at the title of this you tube video 'The Treacherous Ignorance of FG.' :rolleyes:

Surely it must be a fringe madser element that votes dynastically for Oliver Flanagan's son.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,016 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The actual fact is, and people can take this or leave it, I have voted FG, FF, Labour in GE's in the past and have never voted for the SF candidate here as I never really thought that much of him as a Rep. If he is replaced now with Matt Carthy, I would certainly consider giving my first vote in a GE to SF.

I have voted for them in local elections as I have for other parties too. I am actually the archetypal 'floating voter'.

You never came across as a “floating voter “ Francie.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Speaks volumes for the man - even he considers a lot of the SF folk to be unelectable window-lickers. :pac:

• Advertisement

You are describing Fine Gael there.
    Why is it always painted as a blinkered 'just 'cause' dislike? I think Flanagan was found not fit for purpose after his picking up the mantel from Fitzgerald with the whistle blower email he didn't think was of note. Then followed by this farce. He's old guard FG and not very good at that.
    FG need Coveney at the helm and to put Flanagan out to pasture and jettison the failed millennials Varadkar, Harris and Murphy IMO.
    Also treating the tax payer decent would be nice.
    Some rando posting a youtube video is no more or less an authority than you or I.

The FG grassroots down here were never keen on Leo Varadkar, most would vastly prefer Simon Coveney. And as for greed and corruption, I'd say FG and FF are about equal on that score, but FG types tend to be slightly more embarrassed about it. ;)

jimgoose wrote: »
    Speaks volumes for the man - even he considers a lot of the SF folk to be unelectable window-lickers. :pac:

I think any reasonable person is open to criticising any and all politicians. Don't you?
    O'Snodaigh is a big reason why SF never got a high nod off me, (among other reasons at the time).

I think any reasonable person is open to criticising any and all politicians. Don't you?

Did I say I wasn't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Typical of my generation I have voted FG or FF all my life. I voted SF in the last local election. I’m done with FG. This episode is the nail in the coffin. I’ll vote the SF candidate 1 in the GE and transfer to FF as Mayor Crowe of Clare was the first to stand up to the Flanagan Bruton Varadkar thought police.

Well, there you have it. I subscribe to no party. Not my kind of thing. I'm neither right nor left either. I float there too, never bothering to even classify how I feel on issues in those terms. Never understood how you can approach everything through restrictive lens.

Did I say I wasn't?

Just asking boss.
    I find people who won't wear a bad word about their team to be odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭horsebox1977

There was an protest in Stormont (I think) about the ILA - 6 people turned up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Well, there you have it. I subscribe to no party. Not my kind of thing. I'm neither right nor left either. I float there too, never bothering to even classify how I feel on issues in those terms. Never understood how you can approach everything through restrictive lens.

I'm sure over the course of 26,000 posts you must have hundreds critical of SF policy or positions - given you're such a 'floater' like.

Any chance you'd throw a few up for us?

Shouldn't be too hard for someone not towing a party line.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The FG grassroots down here were never keen on Leo Varadkar, most would vastly prefer Simon Coveney.

He's been solid in his current ministerial role and if/when there's a GE I'd like to think, whatever happens, he could remain there while Britain sorts itself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,838 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Typical of my generation I have voted FG or FF all my life. I voted SF in the last local election. I’m done with FG. This episode is the nail in the coffin. I’ll vote the SF candidate 1 in the GE and transfer to FF as Mayor Crowe of Clare was the first to stand up to the Flanagan Bruton Varadkar thought police.

Well after this 'episode' as you call it - I think I will be doing the opposite as you.
    Voting FG for the first time in my life because at least the leadership are showing some balls, to try and move people on from a myopic narrow view of history.
    And before you ask Maria Bailey was not in my constituency!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭Odhinn

How is Jamie Bryson supposed to come up with a plan to revitalise the NI economy?

We'll just have to hand him paper and crayons and see what comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

:) good man Aegir.

Anybody, republican or unionist, who agitates against the democratically expressed wish of the people is not entitled (and doesn't get) to parity of esteem. The IRA didn't get it and I dare say didn't expect it during a conflict/war.

Not all Unionists are going to agitate against it, in fact the majority have said they won't. Only 18% have said when asked that they couldn't live in a UI, that means they are either planning to leave like Arlene Foster or fight it.

Let me get this straight, you are saying that anybody who agitates against the democratically expressed wish of the people is not entitled to parity of esteem?

Does that apply to Remainers in the UK? Does it apply to those who voted against the Eighth Amendment in 1983? Does that apply to anyone who rejected the 1975 referendum in the North?

What about those who voted for the Lisbon Treaty first time round? Did they lose parity of esteem until the second referendum? Did they get it back after the second? Or only those who voted against the first time and for the second time?

Finally what about the minority in communist Russia who opposed Stalin, did they lose parity of esteem?

At least some of this rubbish being posted is funny.

I'm sure over the course of 26,000 posts you must have hundreds critical of SF policy or positions - given you're such a 'floater' like.

Any chance you'd throw a few up for us?

Shouldn't be too hard for someone not towing a party line.

I wouldn't be able to find any on Labour, The SD's, Renua, The Workers Party, either. Maybe 3 or 4 on the Greens.

I also tell you what you won't find anywhere either, me defending SF policy on Housing, Finance, Health. Would a 'bot' not be expected to do that?

I also don't really take part in discussions on those issues generally on boards.

I have said it before, the only time I really defend SF is on republican lines and on their policy on a UI/partition and the governing of NI.
    I have also heaped praise on Coveney, Mairead McGuinness and even Leo for their handling of Brexit.

You can check all this out. But i suspect you won't.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Let me get this straight, you are saying that anybody who agitates against the democratically expressed wish of the people is not entitled to parity of esteem?

Does that apply to Remainers in the UK? Does it apply to those who voted against the Eighth Amendment in 1983? Does that apply to anyone who rejected the 1975 referendum in the North?

What about those who voted for the Lisbon Treaty first time round? Did they lose parity of esteem until the second referendum? Did they get it back after the second? Or only those who voted against the first time and for the second time?

Finally what about the minority in communist Russia who opposed Stalin, did they lose parity of esteem?

Calm down kid and go back to my original post on this. I forgot in my answer to Aegir to include the original wording - 'agitates violently'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

KWAG2019 wrote: »

I don’t think Cathal Crowe will get ur transfer so !

blanch152 wrote: »

You did not mention the obvious ones Dev etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Akabusi wrote: »
    Yeah sure you did.
    I remember you now. You were the lad dressed as Countess Markievitz and shouting
    " anyone for the last few choc ices"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

He can't. He's little more than plankton.

My point is that loyalists can't do anything more than pretend it's still yesteryear whereby they can have mass rallies, bring the north to a standstill and roar "WATP".

There is no vision amongst loyalists. Or indeed unionists.

If they want to save their precious union so they can pledge their never ending loyalty to an unelected head of state, they need to realise that with changing demographics that they are going to have to persuade a large number of nationalists/republicans to back them.

To do that, they would need to put together a working group (pref. cross community with an international dimension) of respected economists to create a viable, sustainable future for the north within the UK while also analysing the effects of their own street protests on not just their nationalist/republican neighbours but also middle-class unionists who are now voting Alliance.

But none of that is happening which I genuinely think is disappointing as I'd rather see communities engaged like that in their own futures instead of just more and more fleg crap.

Calm down kid and go back to my original post on this. I forgot in my answer to Aegir to include the original wording - 'agitates violently'

So where do you stand on the pro-treaty lads? They violently agitated against a UI using British artillery.

• Advertisement

Well after this 'episode' as you call it - I think I will be doing the opposite as you.
    Voting FG for the first time in my life because at least the leadership are showing some balls, to try and move people on from a myopic narrow view of history.
    And before you ask Maria Bailey was not in my constituency!

So you're a SWING voter.

Advertisement