Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIC and DMP to be commemorated this month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

Never heard it called the "hunger' before now!
    Not in school, not in college, not anywhere.
    All references on the internet and reference books call it the Irish Famine (the great famine) primarily caused by potato blight......

Maybe it should be officially renamed?

Yeah it should. A 'Famine' usually means everybody in the afflicted area dies through starvation.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭corner of hells

saabsaab wrote: »
    Nobody knows who killed him and at this stage we probably never will.

Its fairly well documented who shot hom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Its fairly well documented who shot hom.

Denis ‘Sonny’ O’Neill? There is still debate it was him, there are several other theories on this. Would be interesting to see the British Intelligence files on this. Hard to believe he was shot by a fellow Corkman.

Denis ‘Sonny’ O’Neill? There is still debate it was him, there are several other theories on this. Would be interesting to see the British Intelligence files on this. Hard to believe he was shot by a fellow Corkman.

It would.
    He sounds like an interesting character. I'd imagine it's a very raw topic in parts of Cork and Munster.Indicative of the viciousness of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,896 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Bambi wrote: »
    Is that a desperate attempt at a subject change I see? :o

No, I'm challenging your 'Irish physical force nationalism = good, anyone on the opposite side to Irish physical force nationalism = bad' mantra.

Who were the good guys and bad guys in the Civil War? That was Irish militant nationalism at war with itself and using tactics as vicious as any oppressor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Never heard it called the "hunger' before now!

Not in school, not in college, not anywhere. All references on the internet and reference books call it the Irish Famine (the great famine) primarily caused by potato blight......

Maybe it should be officially renamed?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/276066.The_Great_Hunger

Anyone who knows the first thing about the period will be aware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Civil war affected Cork,Kerry and Munster mostly that's why

While many were hiding under there beds!

While many were hiding under there beds!

Ah here , its gonna turn into who's county did what in the Civil War / War of Independence shortly.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/30001971?seq=1

Above link re De Valera's MI5 file. There must have been one on Michael collins too as well as all senior members of the Government?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭padohaodha

frosty123 wrote: »
    Really? how about up north GAA clubs naming medals & awards after ex-provos??

And the state funeral a few years back for Donavan Rossa a man who encouraged terrorist acts & methods.

O'Donovan Rossa died in 1915.How did he get a state funeral????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

The French Ambassador has notified the Government he is unable to attend. He has a prior engagement at the Klaus Barbie commemoration in Lyon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

So they are going to commerate the black and tans.

The bastards who raped and murdered my ancestors along with many of yours

I knew FG were ****, I didn't realise how low they would go

What do you mean, reopening wounds?
    What wounds? Is this going to spark off WOI or Civil War part deux?

All survivors of the WOI are long dead.

All I note are people who have never been in the WOI or seen real violence in their lives being offended by and for dead people.

They may be dead but its living memories for some. My grandfathers fought, I have met them and spoken with them. My great uncle was very active and became a much loved politician after.

It may not mean as much to my son but I have heard from the horses mouth the horrors they witnessed and never forgot.

It is very very real still for many

tipptom wrote: »
    The biggest hoax perpetrated on at least half the world was to make idiots believe that native people eventually fighting back in their own country against British invader terrorism were the terrorists.

Look to the British for the gold standard in terrorist acts and methods which included using native paid informers and collaborators for their murder machine.

I fully agree. The old IRA were not terrorists. The terrorist label is thrown around too much.

The oppressor will always label the freedom fighter a terrorist. In WW2 the nazis would have labelled the allied forces as terrorists when in reality it is the other way round.

The most important thing to remember with history or any story you read or hear, it is always biased to the tellers pov.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Famine means shortage of food.

There was no shortage of food.

There was only shortage of potatoes, no other food. It was genocide. It cannot be called anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 16,360 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Strazdas wrote: »
    No, I'm challenging your 'Irish physical force nationalism = good, anyone on the opposite side to Irish physical force nationalism = bad' mantra.

Who were the good guys and bad guys in the Civil War? That was Irish militant nationalism at war with itself and using tactics as vicious as any oppressor.

Upcoming Civil War commemoration is going to be a far more interesting prospect.

Here's a thing about RIC/DMP commemoration, you don't like it, don't go to it. It's that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭TwoMonthsOff

There was only shortage of potatoes, no other food. It was genocide. It cannot be called anything else

The Perfect Holocaust is a good book on the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Here are some of the Irish Constabulary's actions during the tithe war. It is interesting to note they seemed at ease in murdering large amounts of demonstrators to collect tithes from poor Catholic farmers for the Church of Ireland bishops.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tithe_War

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I think these sort of events are saying to Unionists, look, were willing to commemorate some aspects of the british while they were here.

If we want unity, it has to be a two way street with them.

I will say, I don't agree with the Tans getting their day out, probably would have drawn the line at the RIC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I think these sort of events are saying to Unionists, look, were willing to commemorate some aspects of the british while they were here.

If we want unity, it has to be a two way street with them.

I will say, I don't agree with the Tans getting their day out, probably would have drawn the line at the RIC.

The calls to commemorate the RIC aren't coming from Stormont but from Dublin Castle.

Unionists have had pretty much sweet FA to say on the issue.
    It's largely Gardai and retired Gardai who had antecedents in the RIC and want our official history whitewashed to honour them.

The reconciliation angle is just PR slapped onto this vanity measure to smear anyone with a fondness for historical truth and accuracy as some Ra loving bogman who wants to keep this country in the 1930s.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Lord Mayor of Cork is not attending this shameful event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Winning_Stroke

Ara sure, why not. We should have a statue of Johnny Mad Dog Adair on O'Connell street too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Ara sure, why not. We should have a statue of Johnny Mad Dog Adair on O'Connell street too.
    We should open a chain of chippers called Treveleyan's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Hopefully they hold it in Croke Park. From the Hogan stand.

Upcoming Civil War commemoration is going to be a far more interesting prospect.

Here's a thing about RIC/DMP commemoration, you don't like it, don't go to it. It's that simple.

It isn't that simple.

'Don't like it, therefore object to it in principle' is a much more decent position to take.

There is a villiage I know of that is rumored to have a ghost figure. Said to be a 'Tan' or 'Auxie' that died there and appears near a corner on the way out of the village. Not said to do a lot but stands and stares.

There is a villiage I know of that is rumored to have a ghost figure. Said to be a 'Tan' or 'Auxie' that died there and appears near a corner on the way out of the village. Not said to do a lot but stands and stares.

Put a GS uniform on him, no-one know the difference.

It isn't that simple.

'Don't like it, therefore object to it in principle' is a much more decent position to take.

True, it isn't that simple, these things rarely are. This is being done on behalf of the people of the 26 counties by their government.

Put a GS uniform on him, no-one know the difference.

Never thought of that, might be a GS waiting in the shadows to stop a few cars! That and locals lads having a few too many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Build a statue of Cromwell while we are at it

Advertisement