Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIC and DMP to be commemorated this month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Pearse, Collins, DeValera, Connolly, too.
    Marty Whelan knows so little about Classical music that he'd think that was a playlist for tomorrow's show.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

They must have had the shift change by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,838 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Of course i'm picking an era in history as FG sought to commemorate an organisation that repressed, brutalized and murdered on behalf of an occupation by a colonial power.
    I prefer to deal with the subject of the thread, you seek to deflect from the monumental f**k up by the FG party whom you have confirmed you intend to vote for at the next GE ( which is your right) but don't expect anyone to take your comments as anything other than deflection, whataboutery and revisionism.

In fairness to you you answer questions - I answer questions. But if anyone is engaged with deflection, whataboutery it is "regards jmcc".

Also Irish history has been rewritten since independence to paint all republicans from the WOI as glorious and paint all the British as an evil empire.
    That revisionism happened and that cannot be denied.
    There is no nuance because that would make people feel very uncomfortable, and it would not suit the political agenda of some.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

More rubbish, not answering questions deflecion and twisting of posts.
    I'm just quoting what you said in your posts while replying.
    If you look at my original comments on this thread I mentioned soloheabeg two Irishmen RIC men one from Cork the other Mayo .An Irish speaker more Irish than many of these so called protesters who converse in thier 'opressors' tongue
    How do you define "more" Irish?

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭fundi

If you are a civilian and have legal residency, correct, your presence is lawful. Any violence visited on you is illegal just as it would be on a native civilian.

I am a native civilian and I am glad you agree there was a problem with violence carried out by terrorists in the pursuit of political objectives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Gdg there is no defending FG on this, no amount of spinning is going to make this better, i said it already they will not get my vote over this issue alone. Things are that bad I'm even agreeing with Francie on this :eek:

Also Irish history has been rewritten since independence to paint all republicans from the WOI as glorious and paint all the British as an evil empire.
    Quite the opposite. It has been under sustained attack from the likes of Owen Harris, Ruth Dudley Edwards and their revisionist ilk.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »
    Marty Whelan knows so little about Classical music that he'd think that was a playlist for tomorrow's show.

Regards...jmcc

I suppose this is not deflection in the eyes of your 'keyboard comrades' on this thread- just clever witticism rehashed? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

I see Charlie Flanagan is now being referred to as Charlie 'Tan'agan on social media.

LOL, Charlie Tan, sidekick of Loyal Lackey Leo.

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    They must have had the shift change by now.
    How many innocent laptops in FG Bluebot HQ have been destroyed by the Bluebots sputtering their soy lattes over their keyboards at the comments here? :)

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,217 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

fundi wrote: »
    I am a native civilian and I am glad you agree there was a problem with violence carried out by terrorists in the pursuit of political objectives.

There is always a problem with violence.

The only state carrying out violence in pursuit of their political aims in foreign lands is the British one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

In fairness to you you answer questions - I answer questions. But if anyone is engaged with deflection, whataboutery it is "regards jmcc".

There is no nuance because that would make people feel very uncomfortable, and it would not suit the political agenda of some.

What political agenda? most people now don't give a flying monkeys about what happened a 100 years ago, but by the same token most people will not accept the attempt by FG that the RIC/DMP/Black and Tans were an organisation that deserves a state comemoration. All I get from you and certain other posters and FG is the Irish plebs should know their place and accept what their 'betters' believe is right and proper.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Get over yourself, the very Taoiseach of the state has -( by your standards) a fine portrait of a terrorist hanging in his office wall.

In fairness to you you answer questions - I answer questions.

*Cough

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112210778&postcount=1952

Zombo-Meme-09012020210820.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭fundi

Correct. A very one sided view of history is taught in Ireland. 513 RIC murdered in the few years before independence and how many did they kill in retaliation? Yet the Republicans, who killed innocent civilians too, are the only good guys.

Correct. A very one sided view of history is taught in Ireland. 513 RIC murdered in the few years before independence and how many did they kill in retaliation? Yet the Republicans, who killed innocent civilians too, are the only good guys.

Is it possible maryisback*:pac:

*Joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

jmcc has not answered that one yet either.

You sure post large volumes for someone who confuses a civil war with a war for independence.
    We are the Irish nation.
    The RIC tans murdered to keep the British occupation secure.
    In a civil war its Irish fighting Irish for different ideas on the formation of the Irish state.
    So yes its ridiculous for the Irish state to commemorate the RIC/tans.
    Not so to commemorate the people on either side of the civil war. That's reconciliation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Anyway lads, the "honouring" is off for now.
    It will go ahead in July or early August when most Irish terrorists are in Spain for their summer hols and FG are back in Govt with an overall majority after the general election.

Au contraire. Far too toxic now for anyone to touch. Charlie pegged under the bus by his own kind. Regina, Rock and Fergus O Dowd calling it a bad move.
    There'll be a discussion on the RIC/Tans in Glenties or some such place by and for the great and the good and that'll be the end of it.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Au contraire. Far too toxic now for anyone to touch. Charlie pegged under the bus by his own kind. Regina, Rock and Fergus O Dowd calling it a bad m
    They are trying to limit the damage but that Black and Tans meme has caused massive problems for Varadkar/Flanagan/Bruton and will cost FG seats.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Akabusi wrote: »
    Gdg there is no defending FG on this, no amount of spinning is going to make this better, i said it already they will not get my vote over this issue alone. Things are that bad I'm even agreeing with Francie on this :eek:

Nope when I first heard about this issue - I was finishing that book about bloody sunday 1920 - by Michael Foley. It was brilliant. Nuanced and well researched very open. I came away with a new found respect for those in the RIC at the top who tried to do the right thing. They tried to control the rabble but the British politicians stood in thier way. One former commander of the RIC Crozier became a pacifist after the WOI as it disgusted him so much. He hated the black and tans carry on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Percy_Crozier

The the British administration tried to discredit him when he was critical of them in books he wrote in later years

Then there was the response to the dmp/ric commemoration now and the antics on this thread.
    It has convinced me what a small minded paddywackery nation we still are when it comes to discussing our history with the British.
    My first thought was our nation has the same closed mindset as the likes of Arelene Foster et al

It disgusted me and it still does. As does the inference that any Irish people who wore RIC or DMP uniform during the WOI makes them somehow less Irish.
    It is incompletely wrong the mindset is wrong and our whole nation needs to grow up fast - and remember all those in history not just those that have rewritten it since independence.

So it has made me think FG are on the right track it is the Irish people who are not ready.

jmcc wrote: »
    They are trying to limit the damage but that Black and Tans meme has caused massive problems for Varadkar/Flanagan/Bruton and will cost FG seats.

Regards...jmcc

Having seen the damage Leo, Flanagan and Madigan have done to the genuine work done on the 1916 event, it is critical that they step well away from the rest of the centenary events. I am lobbying my TD's to insist on that at the least. I urge you all to do likewise.

Nope when I first heard about this issue - I was finishing that book about bloody sunday 1920 - by Michael Foley. It was brilliant. Nuanced and well researched very open. I came away with a new found respect for those in the RIC at the top who tried to do the right thing. They tried to control the rabble but the British politicians stood in thier way. One former commander of the RIC Crozier became a pacifist after the WOI as it disgusted him so much. He hated the black and tans carry on.

The the British administration tried to discredit him when he was critical of them in books he wrote in later years

Then there was the response to the dmp/ric commemoration now and the antics on this thread.
    It has convinced me what a small minded paddywackery nation we still are when it comes to discussing our history with the British.
    My first thought was our nation has the same closed mindset as the likes of Arelene Foster et al

It disgusted me and it still does. As does the inference that any Irish people who wore RIC or DMP uniform during the WOI makes them somehow less Irish.
    It is incompletely wrong the mindset is wrong and our whole nation needs to grow up fast - and remember all those in history not just those that have rewritten it since independence.

So it has made me think FG are on the right track it is the Irish people who are not ready.

All that would have been recognised in an appropriate way had the FG arrogant loons not gotten their hands on the controls.

You sure post large volumes for someone who confuses a civil war with a war for independence.
    We are the Irish nation.
    The RIC tans murdered to keep the British occupation secure.
    In a civil war its Irish fighting Irish for different ideas on the formation of the Irish state.
    So yes its ridiculous for the Irish state to commemorate the RIC/tans.
    Not so to commemorate the people on either side of the civil war. That's reconciliation.

This is laughable both are inextricably linked. I doubt people are going to be as quick to call Dev or Brugha a terrorist in the civil war commemorations.

At the time those on the pro treaty side were viewed as British collaborators who murdered to keep Ireland divided and in the Empire.

That is no different to how many on this thread view the RIC/DMP in the WOI - and have to create some sort of cognitive dissonance to say the civil war was 'different'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

So why are FG TDs saying it was a Flanagan solo run if they're on the right track?

All that would have been recognised in an appropriate way had the FG arrogant loons not gotten their hands on the controls.

I am curious what would you view as the appropriate way?
    And what name would you call it?

Having seen the damage Leo, Flanagan and Madigan have done to the genuine work done on the 1916 event, it is critical that they step well away from the rest of the centenary events. I am lobbying my TD's to insist on that at the least. I urge you all to do likewise.
    Being a techie, I've spotted a far simpler and more efficient solution: encourage people not to vote for them. :) That's the best way of dealing with these gobsh!tes.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

This is laughable both are inextricably linked. I doubt people are going to be as quick to call Dev or Brugha a terrorist in the civil war commemorations.

At the time those on the pro treaty side were viewed as British collaborators who murdered to keep Ireland divided and in the Empire.

That is no different to how many on this thread view the RIC/DMP in the WOI - and have to create some sort of cognitive dissonance to say the civil war was 'different'.

You see one was trying to stop by murder the formation of an irish state and police for the occupation.
    The other was an irish civil war both sides coming together eventually.
    D'ya get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The RIC were set up to enforce the will of an occupation by a colonial power of this country. There is a difference. The civil war was a result of the mess left behind by the departure of the British a pattern repeated in many former colonies occupied by the British. Seeking to commemorate an arm of the occupiers by the state is an abhorrent idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

FCUKING LOL.....

Advertisement