Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIC and DMP to be commemorated this month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭corner of hells

jimgoose wrote: »
    Do you remember Ray Burke? Jaysis, the arrogance radiated off that man in almost visible waves. :pac:

I'll see your Ray Burke and raise you a Pee Flynn and Beverley Cooper Flynn.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Do you remember Ray Burke? Jaysis, the arrogance radiated off that man in almost visible waves. :pac:

Yeah and P Flynn he should get a mention. (I was beaten to it)

Plus don't forget poor auld Alan Shatter who got shafted because ironically even though in was right - the arrogant head on him and mannerisms made him appear he was wrong. Too clever for his own good.
    The Mick Wallace v Shatter stuff in the dail amused me no end. I think Wallace won?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Plus don't forget poor auld Alan Shatter who got shafted because ironically even though in was right - the arrogant head on him and mannerisms made him appear he was wrong. Too clever for his own good.
    The Mick Wallace v Shatter stuff in the dail amused me no end. I think Wallace won?

Honourable mention for Liam Lawlor and Brian Lenihan.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Shatter radiated "clever little bollix" in a way that made him very slappable, yes. I'd give that one to Wallace on points.

Honourable mention for Liam Lawlor and Brian Lenihan.

Ah now here, Lenihan was a good guy.

• Advertisement

I'll see your Ray Burke and raise you a Pee Flynn and Beverley Cooper Flynn.

Worst part about those two was they were the same family - necks like jockeys bollocks.

--

I think it will interesting how FG play this now, scrap the whole dmp/ric commemoration or carefully re-brand it so as not to cause offence at a much later date?

Plus in future years, will other parties try the same thing.
    Or will they just try it after FG have taken the flak and done the donkey work? The first step etc.

On mature reflection......

On mature reflection......

Oh, you mean Senior. Well... :pac:

Showing our age.

Showing our age.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Flanagan and Varadkar K.B.E. wanted the Irish state to commemorate a foreign entity designed to suppress and keep from forming, the Irish state. That makes no sense, murders and criminality aside.
    I read an interview with a Ret. Garda from Harp Society. He was getting some abuse and he couldn't see why. Initially I was 'is he taking the piss' but as I read on he spoke about recognising people who died on both sides and so on and people having small ceremonies, like they have already had, which all seem fair and I've not seen anyone get heated about it. So I was confused until I read this line:
    The Harp Society, he stressed, had “no hand, act or part” in the now-postponed State ceremony. “The only thing we knew was that the event was in Dublin Castle. It was also supported by the Taoiseach. We expected that he might have attended.”
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/retired-garda-who-proposed-ric-event-shocked-by-vitriolic-backlash-1.4135153

So even the chap who has already attended remembrances in this country for RUC widows, attended by Charlie Tan-again, thought this was going to be something similar. Low key and for who ever wanted to go and the Taoiseach might have turned up.

Charlie Tan-again and Leo Varadkar K.B.E. obviously took it upon themselves to make a national song and dance about it. Any talk on the cancellation upsetting anyone was more lies.

Showing our age.

Can we all agree that Ernst Stavro Noonan would make an excellent Bond villain?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,221 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Brian Lenihan Snr or Jun never went anywhere near 'the public need to be educated' level of arrogance. Pee Flynn was just a self made eedjit (which relieved God of an almighty responsibilty) who eventually imploded himself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Kate O'Connell FG digging the arrogance hole a bit deeper there on Sean O'Rourke.

To paraphrase: What people need is an education, apparently.

Did she propose re-education camps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Worst part about those two was they were the same family - necks like jockeys bollocks.

--

I think it will interesting how FG play this now, scrap the whole dmp/ric commemoration or carefully re-brand it so as not to cause offence at a much later date?

Plus in future years, will other parties try the same thing.
    Or will they just try it after FG have taken the flak and done the donkey work? The first step etc.

I suspect the first and last step. A state comemoration for the RIC/DMP/ Black and Tans was unwarranted and beyond stupid. No other country comemerates an arm of its former colonial masters who were complicate in the brutalisation, murder of its people .
    Btw the suggestion by some here that all those opposed to this abhorrent idea are knuckle dragging republicans is a demonstration of the arrogance associated with FG and an unwillingness to accept people are entitled to their opinion without an attempt to 'pigeon hole' them.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Did she propose re-education camps?

She's originally from Kilbeggan and these days runs a phormacy in Rothgor with her husband, who's nutsack she no doubt keeps in a jar on her side of the bed. A complete Aisling. :pac:

Brian Lenihan Snr or Jun never went anywhere near 'the public need to be educated' level of arrogance. Pee Flynn was just a self made eedjit (which relieved God of an almighty responsibilty) who eventually imploded himself :)

Charlie's bank account being lined by fundraising for Brian's liver transplant, well ya couldn't write that yourself.
    Brian got a new liver and Charlie a wardrobe full of Louis Charvet shirts.

The phone call to President really tarnished him one bad move.
    I suppose many think the same will happen Leo but they are forgetting he is the optiomy of a progressive Ireland.

Son of an Indian, Leo also happens to be gay - came out when it was politically expedient to do so. Also he is pure middle class, and can appeal to the privately educated etc
    Other parties struggle to fight back against that mixture.

Leo also knows how to play the media game not as shrewd as Bertie I think, but more polished can do the 'game-show' politics a lot better.

I don't think this proposed event and reaction is going to have much of an effect on FG - if anything it makes them appear even more progressive - just too progressive for some.

A good move would be to eradicate all memorials to the British war machine , example in case, the Boer war memorial at Stephens green.

I'd like to see one for the people the British put in concentration camps before one for the poor soldiery put them in them.

I'd like to see one for the people the British put in concentration camps before one for the poor soldiery put them in them.

I was taking the piss.

• Advertisement

The phone call to President really tarnished him one bad move.
    I suppose many think the same will happen Leo but they are forgetting he is the optiomy of a progressive Ireland.

Son of an Indian, Leo also happens to be gay - came out when it was politically expedient to do so. Also he is pure middle class, and can appeal to the privately educated etc
    Other parties struggle to fight back against that mixture.

Leo also knows how to play the media game not as shrewd as Bertie I think, but more polished can do the 'game-show' politics a lot better.

I don't think this proposed event and reaction is going to have much of an effect on FG - if anything it makes them appear even more progressive - just too progressive for some.

The true Árd Rí has been dangerously quiet through this whole affair. I wonder will he make a go for the leadership, with the support of the party majority who feel they got "done" by the Southside Dublin Luvvie crowd? :D

Will Leo be progressive enough to commemorate the British forces took part in the Jallianwala Bagh massacre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Charlie's bank account being lined by fundraising for Brian's liver transplant, well ya couldn't write that yourself.
    Brian got a new liver and Charlie a wardrobe full of Louis Charvet shirts.

Didn't Gareth the good get multiple debts wrote off by state backed banks.
    Tbh you will find shady dealings from members of all parties. We are poorly served by the idiots presented to us as electable representatives.

Btw the suggestion by some here that all those opposed to this abhorrent idea are knuckle dragging republicans is a demonstration of the arrogance associated with FG and an unwillingness to accept people are entitled to their opinion without an attempt to 'pigeon hole' them.

There is an element of that as well, always lurking in the background - they are part of the electorate as well. There are others who like to latch on to them to be part of the 'gang' in cases like this for the craic. Wolfe Tones song etc

I was taking the piss.

No worries, it was raised. I was making a point. We often trip over ourselves and the civilian casualties for commemorating armed forces.

Will Leo be progressive enough to commemorate the British forces took part in the Jallianwala Bagh massacre?

Well played :D

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/varadkar-tells-sikh-congregation-of-his-pride-in-ireland-s-diversity-1.3860363

Didn't Gareth the good get multiple debts wrote off by state backed banks.
    Tbh you will find shady dealings from members of all parties. We are poorly served by the idiots presented to us as electable representatives.

Jesus ,I think he was investigated by the Moriarty tribunal too , but I think he cleared his debts raising money by selling off personal assets.
    Haughey just didn't give a bollix and never addressed his debts.

If I'm ever arrested, I'll be asking for a tribunal.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,221 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The true Árd Rí has been dangerously quiet through this whole affair. I wonder will he make a go for the leadership, with the support of the party majority who feel they got "done" by the Southside Dublin Luvvie crowd? :D

Coveney? He was a bit busy through all the shennanigans. Did you see the presser last night outside Stormont, both he and Smith looked like they literally hadn't slept for a week.
    I don't think I ever seen two politicians look so wrecked. Worth searching it out.

Coveney? He was a bit busy through all the shennanigans. Did you see the presser last night outside Stormont, both he and Smith looked like they literally hadn't slept for a week.
    I don't think I ever seen two politicians look so wrecked. Worth searching it out.

Oh yes, I know - I saw it.

• Advertisement

In fairness to Leo (who is getting a fair amount of stick) he did have the guts to wear an Irish 'Shamrock Poppy' in the Dail over two years ago.
    So he is not afraid of Irish history and confronting an old narrative and mindset.

https://www.thejournal.ie/leo-varadkar-poppy-shamrock-3684354-Nov2017/

What other politician in the Dáil would have the balls to do that?

He also got praised by the Unionists

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:8uhCe8dEG_kJ:https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/unionists-praise-taoiseach-for-shamrock-poppy-36303437.html+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

So it is clear that at least he leads by example.
    No other TD commented on it at the time.

Advertisement