Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIC and DMP to be commemorated this month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I'd rather be called anti-British any day of the week than have to post anti Irish bile to try and get a win TBH.

You'd sell your fellow Irish out as well as Unionists if it was expedient for your personal circumstances.

So is the Duke of Kent a sell out to those in the UK?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/469711.stm

Let us all agree on one thing: never again war in South Africa; never again the rightly criticised policies of (British commander Lord Horatio) Kitchener and never again the dreadful abuses caused by the camps," said the Duke.

"Never again the disregard of the rights of black South Africans that took place during the war," he said.

--

Obviously the much maligned UK royals are obviously better at the auld reconciliation ceremonies then our little Republic is.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

When are you going to show a 'state formally commemorating' one of these groups?

Take your time. We have been waiting a number of days now.

See below -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/469711.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The irony of the lads who bray most loudly for unification being the ones who do the most to prevent it ever happening never fails to amuse.

I'd say Francie does more, with his tired anti-British rhetoric, to keep NI a separate entity than the most committed partionist.

Keep posting.

FG, specifically Flanagan thought a Tans commemoration was a good idea.
    Can you give an example of similar elsewhere?
    We do the wars, we've had the queen over, we speak the language and play their sports. We are talking a united Ireland were everyone gets a vote, something we were never offered. So what now?

I'd rather be called anti-British any day of the week than have to post anti Irish bile to try and get a win TBH.

You'd sell your fellow Irish out as well as Unionists if it was expedient for your personal circumstances.

That where you attitude is completely wrong it is not about winning or losing or selling out. It is about respecting traditions, remembering history. And compromise on both sides.
    If Paisley, Hume, Collins, Griffith, McGuinness and Adams had your attitude where would Ireland be now?
    Accepting the reality that that history is complex.

Nope. The equivalence would be a royal coming to Ireland to lay a wreath at a monument for victims of the tans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,227 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

That is a wreath laying ceremony by an 'invading country'.
    It is an apology on behalf of the people of Britain. The Queen has done that here too.

The analogy to here would be the representatives of the RIC/DMP and Black and Tans apologising to us by laying a wreath in memory of those the butchered and killed.

That where you attitude is completely wrong it is not about winning or losing or selling out. It is about respecting traditions, remembering history. And compromise on both sides.
    If Paisley, Hume, Collins, Griffith, McGuinness and Adams had your attitude where would Ireland be now?
    Accepting the reality that that history is complex.

I don't 'respect the tradition' of colonizing powers killing and butchering the citizens of an invaded country, and NEVER will.

Nope. The equivalence would be a royal coming to Ireland to lay a wreath at a monument for victims of the tans.

I answered the question that was asked you have just decided to move the goalposts because you had nowhere else to go with it.
    Rather than admit I was correct and FrancieBrady was wrong there have been comm where former enemies, show respect to each other years later in a formal ceremony.

I don't 'respect the tradition' of colonizing powers killing and butchering the citizens of an invaded country, and NEVER will.

You are going to be fairly mixed up when the comm for the civil war come around so and read how Collins was aided by those same colonizing powers - firing 16 ponder guns on his Irish people. To restore order.

The problem with Ireland is summed up with your attitude and selective memory.
    You seem to have no problem using the language of those colonising powers all the same...

I answered the question that was asked .

No you didn't. You were asked to show a country similar to ours who have commemorated formally a group like the RIC/DMP Auxs or Black and Tans. You have shown an invading country apologising.

• Advertisement

You are going to be fairly mixed up when the comm for the civil war come around so and read how Collins was aided by those same colonizing powers - firing 16 ponder guns on his Irish people. To restore order.

The problem with Ireland is summed up with your attitude and selective memory.
    You seem to have no problem using the language of those colonising powers all the same...

I won't be a bit mixed up. What happened here after Independence was tragically inevitable. There will be no lionising of either side by me.

That is a wreath laying ceremony by an 'invading country'.
    It is an apology on behalf of the people of Britain. The Queen has done that here too.

The analogy to here would be the representatives of the RIC/DMP and Black and Tans apologising to us by laying a wreath in memory of those the butchered and killed.

You mean like this?

Even that seemed frowned upon!

It is ok if it all one sided the other way.

I answered the question that was asked you have just decided to move the goalposts because you had nowhere else to go with it.
    Rather than admit I was correct and FrancieBrady was wrong there have been comm where former enemies, show respect to each other years later in a formal ceremony.

You failed chief.

You mean like this?

Onesided?

Here is the government represented by the Minister Of Justice at the annual commemoration of the RIC/DMP. I am sure he laid a wreath too.
    image.jpg

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/minister-attends-service-for-killed-ric-and-dmp-men-1.4018814?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fireland%2Firish-news%2Fminister-attends-service-for-killed-ric-and-dmp-men-1.4018814

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

You mean like this?

I posted a link earlier to the justice minister tweeting that he was proudly wearing his poppy at his 24th wreath laying ceremony in Portlaoise.

One sided it is most definitely not.

McMurphy wrote: »
    I posted a link earlier to the justice minister tweeting that he was proudly wearing his poppy at his 24th wreath laying ceremony in Portlaoise.

One sided it is most definitely not.

gormdubh long ago resorted to making things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

People moaning about one-sided?

Ireland didn't invade, occupy, ethnically cleanse and commit genocide in Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

jimgoose wrote: »
    She's originally from Kilbeggan and these days runs a phormacy in Rothgor with her husband, who's nutsack she no doubt keeps in a jar on her side of the bed. A complete Aisling. :pac:
    A nice bit of posh totty

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Zebra3 wrote: »

Ireland didn't invade, occupy, ethnically cleanse and commit genocide in Britain.

Boyzone , Westlife , Maura Higgins to name but a few we've inflicted on the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

I see that a senior unionist politician wanted a podium removed on Mary Lou in Stormont this evening as she wasn’t an MLA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Boyzone , Westlife , Maura Higgins to name but a few we've inflicted on the UK.

Heard they're loving the current number topping their charts!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Then this changed when they changed uniform and were refereed to as the Tans.
    That's a bit offside. So you agree that the Black and Tans were the RIC and the RIC where the Black and Tans. Therefore Charlie Tan'agan wanted to commemorate the Black and Tans and the idiot Instagram "taoiseach" Varadkar was just clueless on Irish history?

Did Charlie Tan'agan have relatives in the Black and Tans? Why are you defending the Black and Tan terrorists?

Regards...jmcc

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    I see that a senior unionist politician wanted a podium removed on Mary Lou in Stormont this evening as she wasn’t an MLA.

That's his culture, it should be respected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

He's also tall.
    The phone call to President really tarnished him one bad move.
    I suppose many think the same will happen Leo but they are forgetting he is the optiomy of a progressive Ireland.

Son of an Indian, Leo also happens to be gay - came out when it was politically expedient to do so. Also he is pure middle class, and can appeal to the privately educated etc
    Other parties struggle to fight back against that mixture.

Leo also knows how to play the media game not as shrewd as Bertie I think, but more polished can do the 'game-show' politics a lot better.

I don't think this proposed event and reaction is going to have much of an effect on FG - if anything it makes them appear even more progressive - just too progressive for some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

That's his culture, it should be respected.

It’s her culture to have a podium. Is Flanagan a man who has his podium or doesn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Zebra3 wrote: »

We did in Scotland about 1600 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Apologies all. Busy day, and only getting around now to catching up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I would question the assumption of a moral code tbh. It's more of a jackboot code.

Indeed. One might wonder why the French have no commemoration for the lads in the "Das Reich" division, or the vichy regime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

How do the numbers stack up :
    - people killed by the terrorist rebels
    vs.
    - people killed by the B&Ts

?
    Like the most recent conflict, it wasn't a killing competition. Another stupid input.

Are the numbers confidential? Those claiming deep knowledge of the period should presumably be able to provide simply facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Odhinn wrote: »
    Indeed. One might wonder why the French have no commemoration for the lads in the "Das Reich" division, or the vichy regime.

Perhaps this may be a reason:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oradour-sur-Glane_massacre

Advertisement