Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIC and DMP to be commemorated this month

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

fundi wrote: »
    And were 40% of bosses in Jamaica black? No. But 40% of senior officers in the RIC in 1919 were Catholic.

Facts please ,followed up by links.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

And were 40% of bosses in Jamaica black? No.
    So you see the Irish as slaves? That is a fascinating insight on your mindset.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

And were 40% of bosses in Jamaica black? No. But 40% of senior officers in the RIC in 1919 were Catholic.

Was 2% Catholic officers. 53% of slave bosses in Jamaica were black.

See that, we can all make facts up.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Remind again why the fact they were Catholic is important?

They were RIC/DMP. They weren't attacked because they were Catholic or Protestant, they were attacked because they were members of a brutal arm of the British state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭fundi

Facts please ,followed up by links.

Google is your friend, it will come up on the first page for you. Takes all of 5 or 10 seconds.
    jmcc wrote: »
    Remember that a huge swathe of the Irish people only became eligible to vote in the 1918 election.

The vast majority of countries in the world had not Universal Suffrage in the early 20th century. For example, women only got the right to vote in France in the 1940's.
    The first political entity to grant universal suffrage to all its population was the the territory of New Zealand, in 1893.

The next political entity, an Independent Democratic country, to introduce voting for all was Norway, which added Universal Suffrage to its constitution in 1913.

• Advertisement

Google is your friend, it will come up on the first page for you. Takes all of 5 or 10 seconds.

The vast majority of countries in the world had not Universal Suffrage in the early 20th century. For example, women only got the right to vote in France in the 1940's.
    The first political entity to grant universal suffrage to all its population was the the territory of New Zealand, in 1893.

The next political entity, an Independent Democratic country, to introduce voting for all was Norway, which added Universal Suffrage to its constitution in 1913.

Soz dude but you made a claim , the onus is on you to back that **** up. Remember to deal with Ireland.

Quote " French women were disenfranchised at all levels before 1944. Women could vote from 1945, but only if literate. Restrictions on women's suffrage were lifted in 1965."

Fact

Quote " French women were disenfranchised at all levels before 1944. Women could vote from 1945, but only if literate. Restrictions on women's suffrage were lifted in 1965."

Fact

So what?

So what?

A**holes have ran out argument.

The vast majority of countries in the world had not Universal Suffrage in the early 20th century.
    You don't seem to understand. The first time that the Irish people got the chance to vote en-masse, the Irish people voted for Independence not Home Rule.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭mattser

Peace and reconciliation ?? Jog on lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

The re-education project isn’t going very well. Same tedious irrelevancies wheeled out. Around and around.

mattser wrote: »
    Peace and reconciliation ?? Jog on lads.

Well a few people here led by Charlie Flanagan are saying that Peace and Reconciliation will only come if we indulge in Pretence and Revisionism.

Well a few people here led by Charlie Flanagan are saying that Peace and Reconciliation will only come if we indulge in Pretence and Revisionism.
    The best way that FG supporters can indulge in Peace and Reconciliation is to revise their support for Charlie Tan'agan. That would be an extremely popular form of revisionism and could even get them some votes. :)

That performance by Josepha Madigan on TWIP looked like sheer panic over the damage that the Black and Tans issue was doing to FG. (Both Pearse Lisa Chambers/FF and Doherty/SF made the point about the Black and Tans being part of the RIC).

Regards...jmcc

That performance by Josepha Madigan on TWIP looked like sheer panic over the damage that the Black and Tans issue was doing to FG. (Both Pearse Lisa Chambers/FF and Doherty/SF made the point about the Black and Tans being part of the RIC).

Regards...jmcc

Nobody is buying, either here or anywhere else.

They are now backtracking so fast she is going to have to say she and the government do not condone the names going on the Glasnevin Monument.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭mattser

The best way that FG supporters can indulge in Peace and Reconciliation is to revise their support for Charlie Tan'agan. That would be an extremely popular form of revisionism and could even get them some votes. :)

Regards...jmcc

Don't like that Tanagan thing. It's too personal for me. Even if I agree with some of what you say.

mattser wrote: »
    Don't like that Tanagan thing. It's too personal for me. Even if I agree with some of what you say.
    Yep. It looks like FG is putting the boot in on Flanagan in an attempt to limit the damage but it is too late.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

J Mysterio wrote: »

Gosh, a government decides that a certain type of commemoration would be inappropriate.

I thought that only happened in nefarious, cultureless, languageless republican Ireland??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Being discussed on Newstalk now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

McMurphy wrote: »

tbh I turned off once the ex guard claimed his little group were non-political

I bet HAARP attend Easter rising commerations given that they were decent Irish lads same as the RIC.

Such guff.

Good or bad for FG?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭buried

Complaining about the 'selectiveness' of history yet only has details about his own side.
    "How many did the RIC kill?"
    " I dont know Pat"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭buried

Let them keep it up. Making a show of themselves. "We want to remember our own" Well have at it then. I'm sure they are some people in France who want to remember some of the Vichy boys and girls but you'll be a long time waiting to see the French state remember them on the 14th of July every year.
    Laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭corner of hells

buried wrote: »
    Let them keep it up. Making a show of themselves. "We want to remember our own" Well have at it then. I'm sure they are some people in France who want to remember some of the Vichy boys and girls but you'll be a long time waiting to see the French state remember them on the 14th of July every year.
    Laughable.

Wait till I tell ya what that Macron fellah did recently.

Didn't he only go and praise Petain ,, generally credited with saving France winning a particular series of battles in 1916 , being promoted to marshal of France.

Marcon the fecker, forgot that Petain was the leader of Vichy France in WW2 and was afterwards imprisoned for life.

From here to zero.

Imagine if Leo had forgotten about 1916 or Michael Collins.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,056 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

buried wrote: »
    Laughable.

we are going to remember them, we're just not having a commemoration, it would be the height of ignorance to "forget" our history.

22 retired RIC were murdered. And a hundred and something were murdered ( I cannot remember the exact figure ) when on their bicycles. And a lot murdered when unarmed or with their families.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,898 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

22 retired RIC were murdered. And a hundred and something were murdered ( I cannot remember the exact figure ) when on their bicycles. And a lot murdered when unarmed or with their families.

Did you ever hear about those the RIC threw out of their houses during the so-called famine?

Took them a while to figure out not to get on their bikes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

So in this new regime that FG espouse can I look forward to the Orange order commemorating the army of James II next July.

Advertisement