Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair deal information please

• 01-01-2020 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,

Happy New Year

A friend of mine is 83 and I am applying for the fair deal scheme on her behalf.

Her memory has got very poor she suffers from depression and is feeble on her legs.This feebless stops her going out to cards which she loved and thus feeds her depression.

She does not own the property she lives in it is owned by her deceased husbands grandmother.She gets state benefit of €255 per week and has savings of €46000

She is doing a memory test to try and get her assessed by a geriatrition so she can get a months restbite care. Like all people she understandably will not want to go into a nursing home but I am hoping she will like this rest bite care and she will stay on a nursing home

Any information or advice would be great .I cannt find a help line number and as far as I can see the only advice available is through companies who submit your application and charge high fees I was quoted €750

Regards and thank you

Noel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You would need to establish who does own the property - it seems unlikely that she has a grandmother-in-law still living? Unless there are other arrangements through her husband; her memory is failing, is it possible that she/her husband was left the property at some stage? Otherwise she is, to the best of my knowledge, not eligible for fair deal on a rented property.

Does she have a solicitor? You will find yourself very limited in what you can do for her without being a relative or carer. Certainly make some preliminary enquiries though.

Please excuse me pointing it out, but you will be using the word a lot, its respite care, not rest bite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭TrixIrl

What county does she live in and I'll get you a contact number for the Fair Deal Officer?

Bear in mind that if she does not want to go to a nursing home there is nothing that can make her unless she is assessed by a geriatrician to have no capacity to make decisions/is a risk to herself. And if this is the case, only her legal NOK can make decisions for her so this may be something to look into.

Would some home support and maybe a day centre be of help to her if she's reluctant regarding a nursing home? It may help her etya home for longer. Both of these can be organised by her PHN if she has a medical card.

Also Noel, please please do not look at using one of those companies to submit an application. If your friend qualifies and needs care her application will be approved (subject to waiting list etc) but if not she won't. A private company will make no difference other than to cost you 750!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Noelcork

TrixIrl wrote: »
    What county does she live in and I'll get you a contact number for the Fair Deal Officer?

Bear in mind that if she does not want to go to a nursing home there is nothing that can make her unless she is assessed by a geriatrician to have no capacity to make decisions/is a risk to herself. And if this is the case, only her legal NOK can make decisions for her so this may be something to look into.

Would some home support and maybe a day centre be of help to her if she's reluctant regarding a nursing home? It may help her etya home for longer. Both of these can be organised by her PHN if she has a medical card.

Hi there thank you for information

Where would I get a number for fair deal officer please I'm based in Cork

Happy new year
    Noel

Noelcork wrote: »
    Hi there thank you for information

Where would I get a number for fair deal officer please I'm based in Cork

Happy new year
    Noel

Hi Noel

Cork and Kerry