Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Desktop won't boot

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Banzai600

MrFrisp wrote: »
    Thanks for that..

When I start it up, it stays on, it don't switch off, unless I turn it off.

I done a good bit of cleaning to it, but might have to do more.

I'll just keep at it until I get fed up with it, but that could be a while yet, lol.

you can get cables to transfer drive data from one machine to another, id back up what you need just in case. good luck with it

btw i am on my second HP desktop at home, they are great, solid and dont cost the moon either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Hi guys, so just to update this.

I've had the PC in a shop a few days, and got a call earlier.

Sadly, it is indeed the motherboard that has failed. 😥😥

So, going to look at what, or if I have any options.

Thank you all for your input, and views.

Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭newmember2

Hi guys, so just to update this.

I've had the PC in a shop a few days, and got a call earlier.

Sadly, it is indeed the motherboard that has failed. ����

So, going to look at what, or if I have any options.

Thank you all for your input, and views.

Much appreciated.

TBH you already knew it was the mobo from your testing so leaving it into a shop is just wasting money for them to tell you what you already knew, especially seeing as your budget is tight. People here will help you for nothing.
    As already stated, it's a fairly worthless old machine that is now dead - take your drive out of it and save your data and budget for a replacement. There's similar working machines being given away for free every day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Even if fully working it wouldn't be worth more than about €20 so it does not make sense to replace motherboards or even pay something to look at it.

Just buy another PC. You will get one on Ebay or Adverts for about €40-50 to get something similar, or maybe about €100 to get one that's actually a big upgrade.

Thanks Newmember and Homelander.

I just put it into a shop to be 100% certain that it was the mobo.

At the end of the day it cost me nothing, as it was a No Fix No Fee.

Yeah, I think I'll strip it down. I'll keep the drive and add it to whatever I pick up next, and the same with the DVD drive, the RAM and the PSU. Might even keep the fans as well.

The same shop that checked it for me offered me a replacement PC, updated, more or less the same spec for €199.00.

It'll take me a few weeks to get those funds together, so I have time to think over my options.

Thank you both for your input.

• Advertisement

Don't pay 199. Honestly you would get the same PC for about €40 on Ebay or a much better one for €70-80. Can get bargins on Adverts as well.

Homelander wrote: »
    Don't pay 199. Honestly you would get the same PC for about €40 on Ebay or a much better one for €70-80. Can get bargins on Adverts as well.

Really??
    Ohh, ok.. I'll have a look.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

the ram is most likely DDR3 which won't work in modern motherboards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Skerries wrote: »
    the ram is most likely DDR3 which won't work in modern motherboards
    DDR2

that's surprising in an 8 year old system

• Advertisement

that's surprising in an 8 year old system
    I think 546 was The last of Inspirons that come with DDR2
    Following 560(Intel) and 570(AMD)was already DDR3

OP might be owns it ~8 year, but actual model is from ~2009

That really makes the PC essentially value less. Very surprised you could have bought a new machine using DDR2 in 2012. The last time I bought a PC was in 2011, even at that point DDR2 was considered pretty antiquated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I have had this problem before on a Dell desktop PC.

What is the type and model?

Dell actually have very good system diagnostic aids by means of LED fault codes on the case. These give you a steer to identify and rectify the problem when the computer fails to boot or POST at all.

In my particular case I had a Dell Optiplex 755. Powering on resulted in a brief fan spin, then flashing amber power button (known as the ODOL, orange light of death). Between one thing and another it turned out to be a faulty PSU. There might be a test button on the back of the PSU - there is a procedure to test and narrow down the cause. I got a second hand PSU on ebay for a tenner and it worked perfect again.

I would be reasonably confident that this can be brought back to life with a little research and effort.

Every time, EVERY TIME, i have asked here for advice on repairing or refurbishing older PCs, I get bombarded with responses like "not worth fixing, you'd be mad, forget it, lost cause, not worth the effort, you'd get a better one for €50, don't waste your time, worthless, valueless, etc, etc, etc"

Yeah maybe so, but I have an interest in rescuing and revitalizing old or cast off computers that many on here have written off. indeed, I have recently refurbished & upgraded old laptops from as far back as 2008 and got them running windows 10 suitable for basic day to day use, much to their respective owner's delight.

As the saying goes, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

I'd be happy to help you fault find and give guidance on this if you would still like?

Dell actually have very good system diagnostic aids by means of LED fault codes on the case. These give you a steer to identify and rectify the problem when the computer fails to boot or POST at all.

In my particular case I had a Dell Optiplex 755. Powering on resulted in a brief fan spin, then flashing amber power button (known as the ODOL, orange light of death). Between one thing and another it turned out to be a faulty PSU. There might be a test button on the back of the PSU - there is a procedure to test and narrow down the cause. I got a second hand PSU on ebay for a tenner and it worked perfect again.

I would be reasonably confident that this can be brought back to life with a little research and effort.

Every time, EVERY TIME, i have asked here for advice on repairing or refurbishing older PCs, I get bombarded with responses like "not worth fixing, you'd be mad, forget it, lost cause, not worth the effort, you'd get a better one for €50, don't waste your time, worthless, valueless, etc, etc, etc"

Yeah maybe so, but I have an interest in rescuing and revitalizing old or cast off computers that many on here have written off. indeed, I have recently refurbished & upgraded old laptops from as far back as 2008 and got them running windows 10 suitable for basic day to day use, much to their respective owner's delight.

I'd be happy to help you fault find and give guidance on this if you would still like?

I had it checked at a repair shop. They went through everything and concluded that it's the motherboard that has failed.

It's a Dell Inspiron 546.

Other than the psu, which failed a few years ago and I replaced with a 500w model, it never gave trouble up to now.

When switched on, the fans spin, and just a constant amber light at the front. The drive spins, but that's it. No display, no power to the keyboard, or mouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I'd be skeptical enough of repair shops. They are only interested in easy fixes and selling you stuff. They don't want to spend the time or effort investigating, diagnosing and repairing a problem. Sure lookit, I don't blame them - they are running a business and aren't going to take on jobs which are uneconomic.

as theboyconor said if it is an amber light it usually means PSU on Dells

as theboyconor said if it is an amber light it usually means PSU on Dells

Error codes were linked in post #9

Error codes were linked in post #9

Error codes(beeps) don't apply here, as I'm not getting any.

No beeps at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭jj880

A power surge fried my PC just before Christmas. Well i think so. Lights were flickering in the house and next morning PC was dead with just a solid green light on the mobo. Turned out to be the PSU which I got replaced (had to get corsair 650w psu for the longer cables) but ive now got everthing running off a 4 socket surge protector. Cost 7 euro in my local co-op but id be sickened if the psu or mobo got fried after another surge. Lesson learned.

Error codes(beeps) don't apply here, as I'm not getting any.

No beeps at all..
    You might not if your system not fitted with "beeper", this where LED codes come in.

• Advertisement

You might not if your system not fitted with "beeper", this where LED codes come in.

Its fitted alright.

Used to beep when it was running fine.

Its fitted alright.

Used to beep when it was running fine.
    ... another indication that some not right with board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Ok I mean nothing as in, the monitors are working fine, it's just when it tries to boot, no activity other than the screensaver on the monitors.
    I have tried wired keyboard and mouse, but no difference.

I have this same issue on a brand new (refurbished) laptop. The screensaver comes on but it stops there and “doesn’t sound” like it’s on.

I then have to hold the power button for 1-2 seconds to power it off then immediately turn it back on and it works.

I’m sure you have tried that but worth mentioning just in case.

If anybody knows how to fix this or what it could be please PM me.

Advertisement