Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eirewave

• 01-01-2020 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Eirewave is celebrating its 8th birthday!

Eirewave is an independent digital radio station broadcasting 100% contemporary Irish music (i.e. Irish bands or singers).
    They champion the very best in Irish music, from breaking new acts such as Brian Deady and Little Hours to favourites such as Kodaline and Gavin James, along with the best of legends like U2, Aslan and Snow Patrol.

Jack Burnman fronted the first broadcast of URadio on Sunday, January 1, 2012. His show began at 7am with a jingle announcing, “Eirewave. Today's Best Irish Music.”

September 2013, URadio make an application to the BAI to provide a 100% contemporary Irish music radio service for Dublin and Dublin County.

February 2013, they received word that URadio will not be awarded the FM broadcasting licence for Dublin, this time around.

The radio station name has changed from URadio to Eirewave July 1, 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

RoryDublin wrote: »
    Eirewave is celebrating its 8th birthday!

Eirewave is an independent digital radio station broadcasting 100% contemporary Irish music (i.e. Irish bands or singers).
    They champion the very best in Irish music, from breaking new acts such as Brian Deady and Little Hours to favourites such as Kodaline and Gavin James, along with the best of legends like U2, Aslan and Snow Patrol.

Jack Burnman fronted the first broadcast of URadio on Sunday, January 1, 2012. His show began at 7am with a jingle announcing, “Eirewave. Today's Best Irish Music.”

September 2013, URadio make an application to the BAI to provide a 100% contemporary Irish music radio service for Dublin and Dublin County.

February 2013, they received word that URadio will not be awarded the FM broadcasting licence for Dublin, this time around.

The radio station name has changed from URadio to Eirewave July 1, 2018

I never heard of this station before. It sounds like an interesting idea though.

I did a bit of online research about this station. So far, I have found two names associated with the station as presenters.

One is Kerry Mitchell. She has been a presenter with Eirwave since November 2018. Her radio experience seems to be in the last two or three years. She was a volunteer with Dublin City FM in 2017. Kerry had internships with Radio Nova and Newstalk. Since May 2019 to date, she has been a news reporter and journalist with Spin103.

The other is Jack McCarthy, but I cannot find anything about him.

According to an article on RadioToday in September 2018, Eirewave had just been launched online. If this thread is correct, it must have in fact been its relaunch/rebranding to its old name, having been URadio for a while. The article says it "was founded by Olivier Mauxion, a Frenchman who has worked with radio stations across Europe and all around the world – including in France, Germany, Switzerland, Turkey and Russia". In fact, a quick look at Linkedin tells me that he founded URadio Ireland in August 2013 and this lasted until May 2018. Olivier's documented radio experience starts with him in April 1985 as a deejay with Frequence 1, NRU Angers, from Angers in France.

Does anybody have any more information about the people involved with Eirewave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That licence application is worth a read if you want to see how not to make a licence application

• Registered Users Posts: 20 RoryDublin

I heard 3 presenters:
    Jay-Jay: 10am-2pm
    Rachel: 2pm-6pm
    and Kenneth (weekend)
    but I cannot find anything about them...

RoryDublin wrote: »
    I heard 3 presenters:
    Jay-Jay: 10am-2pm
    Rachel: 2pm-6pm
    and Kenneth (weekend)
    but I cannot find anything about them...

Jay Jay might be Jack McCarthy. Thanks for the names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

I must be living under a rock or something, 8 years, I’ve never heard of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm suspecting the new reg OP might know a bit about them!!

Never heard of them myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It's confusing because Eirwave is only around since mid 2018. Nobody will really make the connection between Eirwave and the previous name as its not well known.

According to an article on the Cork Independant 25th July, 2019

'Although originating back to 2012, Eirewave in its current form was founded by Olivier Mauxion in 2018, and is dedicated to playing the most popular and upcoming Irish sounds.'

'Eirewave has both live and pre-recorded broadcasts 24 hours of the day, picking up 350,000 monthly listeners from France and Germany to the US, Australia and New Zealand.
    It also has a website with information on Irish artists, recently played music and gig listings for Irish artists both abroad and at home.'

'A quick listen online reveals a varied hit-list, ranging from relative newcomers like Dermot Kennedy, Inhaler and Laoise to established acts like The Coronas and Hozier, along with a sprinkling of old favourites like U2 and The Boomtown Rats'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Jay Jay might be Jack McCarthy. Thanks for the names.

Doubt it. I know of the guy JJ. He’s a presenter on Communicorp’s digital station FRQ.fm as well.

Isn’t Eirewave done in association with Ballyfermot college? I always thought that anyway.

• Advertisement

Eirewave is available on Radio Garden.

Eirewave has changed his radio format (British & Irish music) and moved to Belfast. I love this new radio format... new project?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I love your new station Rory!

Threads merged.

Please note, it's one thing to advertise a new station – that's not against the rules, necessarily. In fact, you are welcome to do so.

It is against the rules to try and do so furtively by pretending to be a punter. That kind of thing will get the thread closed.

Apparently being a fan of a Radio Station is forbidden? Sorry for that 😂

Advertisement