Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The case of the racist blackcurrant drink

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Tower Hamlets.

The whole of Tower Hamlets is a no-go area? This is laughable. For whom is it a no-go area? The hipsters getting p*ssed in Shoreditch? Or perhaps the thousands of tourists a day mobbing Brick Lane. What about all the bankers in Canary Wharf?

Tower Hamlets has a population of about 250k people, it has a lot of deprivation but nowhere there can remotely be considered a “no go area”, nothing approaching it. I worked in a community century in one of the poorest areas with the most issues and it was a busy thoroughfare and interchange in which all types of people lived and worked.

The fact is people like yourself and some other posters here genuinely want there to be no-go areas and as such make up this utter b*llocks to reinforce your world view that our biggest problem is being swamped by the dreaded immigrants or whatever.

Omackeral wrote: »
    You never see gangs of Chinese youths going on like this. Why not?

You do in some countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

There's some horrid stuff from both sides. Very disturbing, could get a lot worse too. This could be prove to be very divisive in the future.

Absolutely, awful comments on both sides.

And people like Ebun Joseph deepen the divide with her ridiculous hyperbole

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭TwoMonthsOff

It will be to the detriment of her own people in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭emo72

The journal reported it this morning. No mention of the type of event it was. Comments are disabled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

You never see gangs of Chinese youths going on like this. Why not?

Few years it happened in Dublin. Some triad gangs with swords. Back then you could call a spade a spade and garda put a stop to it without being labeled racists

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

KilOit wrote: »
    Back then you could call a spade a spade

Careful now ♠️

• Registered Users Posts: 9,752 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Few years it happened in Dublin. Some triad gangs with swords. Back then you could call a spade a spade and garda put a stop to it without being labeled racists

Outside the rotunda? Jesus I remember that, was working in the ilac at the time, all thought they were in enter the dragon till the sirens and the batons hit.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

tuxy wrote: »
    I've just realised something perhaps it was obvious.
    In the U.S grape drink is something that is associated with poor black families.
    Ribena is the closest thing we have to grape drink, this is why it was racist!
    I was really struggling to find the link to racism but I finally got there.

At one stage blackcurrant growing was banned in parts of America, as there was concern that a disease which affects blackcurrant bushes could damage certain types of pine trees

• Registered Users Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

She's creating a divide where one never existed before. We don't have the imperialist baggage of Britain or the baggage of slavery the United States has but she's keen to make the people of Ireland feel they share in the responsibility for crimes committed by other people with a similar skin tone.
    What she is engaging in unbridled racism herself.
    Irish people have been treated as badly if not worse than black people have been treated in history and she wants to import ideologies of division and hatred from other places into this country.
    Are there white Irish people who are racist? Of course, they are idiots and in the minority, we simply don't have the problems people like her are looking to create in this country,no matter how much she would like to make us think we do at least for now, as she is playing a part in creating racial division, thanks in no small part to her "qualification" in social justice ideology.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

. Back then you could call a spade a spade and garda put a stop to it without being labeled racists

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=spade :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Ready4Boarding

Irish people have been treated as badly if not worse than black people have been treated in history...

This is outrageous nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭TwoMonthsOff

tuxy wrote: »

You really had to look that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

FTA69 wrote: »
    You do in some countries.

Not here though. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

nullzero wrote: »
    She's creating a divide where one never existed before. We don't have the imperialist baggage of Britain or the baggage of slavery the United States has but she's keen to make the people of Ireland feel they share in the responsibility for crimes committed by other people with a similar skin tone.
    What she is engaging in unbridled racism herself.
    Irish people have been treated as badly if not worse than black people have been treated in history and she wants to import ideologies of division and hatred from other places into this country.
    Are there white Irish people who are racist? Of course, they are idiots and in the minority, we simply don't have the problems people like her are looking to create in this country,no matter how much she would like to make us think we do at least for now, as she is playing a part in creating racial division, thanks in no small part to her "qualification" in social justice ideology.

In her defense, she is but one person plying her trade in the ever expanding victim industry.

Grievance studies courses churn out more and more graduates each year

The media lap it all up

• Registered Users Posts: 51,687 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

grogi wrote: »
    The currant was black?

If that’s the case then we’ll be forced to change from “accident black spots” to “accident spot”. This whole episode is ridiculous.

Not here though. Why?

I dunno mate, but in places like Vancouver and San Francisco etc you'll find Chinese youth doing the fool. Crime isn't based on race, being a Somali or a Kurd or a Ghanaian doesn't give you some racial predilection to crime.

London earlier was used an example as how multiculturalism leads to crime etc and people seem to blindly then concur that is the only factor in things like gangs and knife crime. These sort of things are to a far greater degree rooted in social and economic conditions such as poor housing, overcrowding, austerity, low wages, lack of youth facilities and the like than they are drill music and all that other sh*t. That stuff is symptomatic, not the cause.

This is outrageous nonsense.

How so?

We were occupied for centuries before colonial occupation of Africa began.

We were dehumanised by our colonial masters and left to die en masse in the 1840's.

Africans were sold into slavery but weren't left to die of starvation. Irish people who fled to America also found themselves being sold as slaves.
    If we were any colour but white anto Irish discrimination would be a massive taboo.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MMXX

THIS
    . If, by any chance - you happen to be reading this thread, Ms. Joseph - THIS is the single most important piece of information contained within.

Read this. Take this in.

Understand this.

Irish people didn’t exist as chattel slaves.

However; it is fair to say and I’ve often had to do so - that Irish people and Ireland did not benefit from the system of colonialism and imperialism and slavery etc. In fact we were victims of it, to be fair most people from the Caribbean get this but over the years in England I’ve often found it impossible trying to explain this to people of African heritage who assume we have the same history of the rest of Western Europe.

I once had a Nigerian actor sounding like an aristocrat who goes to drama school off her old man’s dollar and grew up in a house with servants waving her hand at me shouting at me about privilege and colonialism. You couldn’t make it up.

• Advertisement

How so?

We were occupied for centuries before colonial occupation of Africa began.

We were dehumanised by our colonial masters and left to die en masse in the 1840's.

Africans were sold into slavery but weren't left to die of starvation. Irish people who fled to America also found themselves being sold as slaves.
    If we were any colour but white anto Irish discrimination would be a massive taboo.

Dear god. It's like talking to a fantasist. There's nothing I can say to change your mind, so ingrained is your victim complex. It is pathetic beyond measure that you are accusing someone of exactly what you yourself are guilty of.

Dear god. It's like talking to a fantasist. There's nothing I can say to change your mind, so ingrained is your victim complex. It is pathetic beyond measure that you are accusing someone of exactly what you yourself are guilty of.

I don't have a victim complex.

These are historical facts.

What am I guilty of exactly?

The Africans living in Ireland have no grounds to claim that this country is inherently racist because it isn't, I merely pointed out that Ireland's history of oppression and mistreatment at the hands of the same people who carried out similar crimes against people in Africa is even longer.

You haven't even tried to say anything to change my mind, that is pathetic beyond measure.

You my friend are displaying a fundamentally racist mindset by blindly assuming that by virtue of skin colour one group has suffered more than the other you hypocrite.

Glazers Out!

You my friend are displaying a fundamentally racist mindset by blindly assuming that by virtue of skin colour one group has suffered more than the other you hypocrite.

It's worse than I thought. You are a pathetic little simpleton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

FTA69 wrote: »
    Where in London is a no-go zone?

A lot of areas in SE London, areas in Woolwich, Lewisham, Kidbrooke was recently knocked as it was so bad. Areas in Bow, Hackney Dalston etc

Fwiw I lived and worked there for 10 years so I kind of know

There is a huge difference between Irish rough areas and UK rough areas. They are not comparable.

I attended a funeral within n the last few years in a SW London area. 20 years ago I would have happily gone out had a few drinks and stumbled home tipsy. Now you can't even look forward when walking as if you catch the eye of the wrong person god help you.

Not good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

The Irish were definitely treated badly but I doubt they were ever treated WORSE than black folk.

Black folk are not treated badly here though overall/as a matter of policy. There are racist incidents - the poor girl Mia in Tipperary - but I still think Ireland is welcoming in general.

I see you were banned for the radio forum for being abusive in the RIP thread for Marian Finucane, at least you're consistent, I think that's as complimentary as I can be towards you. As for retorting to the above, you offer no insight whatsoever and are incapable of backing up your ridiculous opinions and instead act like a spoilt child and indulge in preposterous abusive mud slinging.

EDIT. While is was posting I see the quoted user was infected, if my post needs to be removed let me know.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭emo72

You're very rude. Would you say something like that to someone in real life? I should hope not.

A lot of areas in SE London, areas in Woolwich, Lewisham, Kidbrooke was recently knocked as it was so bad. Areas in Bow, Hackney Dalston etc

Fwiw I lived and worked there for 10 years so I kind of know

There is a huge difference between Irish rough areas and UK rough areas. They are not comparable.

I attended a funeral within n the last few years in a SW London area. 20 years ago I would have happily gone out had a few drinks and stumbled home tipsy. Now you can't even look forward when walking as if you catch the eye of the wrong person god help you.

Not good

There is nowhere in Woolwich or Hackney that are “no go areas”; there are parts of these areas that have issues with crime. That’s it, that doesn’t constitute a “no go area”. If being in an area that has a dodgy reputation constitutes a “no go area” then you may as well apply that term to Dublin or Limerick or Cork. It’s hyperbolic and it’s silly. Dalston a “no go area”, the gaff is one of the most gentrified parts of East London and is full of a million and one hipster outlets. You’re talking breeze I’m afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,468 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

He has belittled the experience of millions of Africans sold into slavery.

Were those the lads fighting outside the Red Cow?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MMXX

He has belittled the experience of millions of Africans sold into slavery. Yes, I would happily call him that in real life.

No, he definitely didn't do that. I think he's pointing out the the Irish, unlike much of Europe - have NOT raped the continent of Africa.

And as such, we don't deserve a single ounce of hatred - spewen our way.

Advertisement