Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Inset stove leaking smoke

• 01-01-2020 7:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there, I've got an ESSE 301 inset stove fitted for some time. It appears to be now leaking smoke when the door is open and from the top of the stove too. I've shut the vents down and extinguished the fire.and I'm waiting on the installer to call me back to look at it. It's in situ about five years and the chimney was recently swept.

Just wondering if anybody has any insight into what I'm dealing with here? There's no flexi flue, the stove ditches into the fireplace and up the clay liners originally installed. Could it be a case that the sweep dislodged the rope seal between the stove and the fireplace?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭crock!

Looking at the manual its says that the 301 can be fitted with the fireback still in place.(a bad idea and shouldn't be aloud)I would say to remove the throat plate and check it's not blocked.it sounds like a blockage somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Forge83

MugMugs wrote: »
    Hi there, I've got an ESSE 301 inset stove fitted for some time. It appears to be now leaking smoke when the door is open and from the top of the stove too. I've shut the vents down and extinguished the fire.and I'm waiting on the installer to call me back to look at it. It's in situ about five years and the chimney was recently swept.

Just wondering if anybody has any insight into what I'm dealing with here? There's no flexi flue, the stove ditches into the fireplace and up the clay liners originally installed. Could it be a case that the sweep dislodged the rope seal between the stove and the fireplace?

Is it actually connected to the clay liner with an adaptor or just sitting in the opening dispelling the smoke into the chimney?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Forge83 wrote: »
    Is it actually connected to the clay liner with an adaptor or just sitting in the opening dispelling the smoke into the chimney?

The latter, the smoke just exits through the top of the stove and into the void / relies on the draw to take it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Forge83

The latter, the smoke just exits through the top of the stove and into the void / relies on the draw to take it up.

Madness. There’s something somewhere blocking the draw.
    I would suggest strongly having it re installed with a flexible liner.

Forge83 wrote: »
    Madness. There’s something somewhere blocking the draw.
    I would suggest strongly having it re installed with a flexible liner.

I'll have it reswept and looked at so. Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

I'll have it reswept and looked at so. Cheers!

Can you not open the baffle and stick in a small mirror to look up the chimney? You should see daylight if it's a straight shot up?

Blowheads wrote: »
    Can you not open the baffle and stick in a small mirror to look up the chimney? You should see daylight if it's a straight shot up?

Sorted, had the installer back. The baffle has basically buckled to such a degree that nothing could escape.

New Baffle in and the exceptional draw is back and she's firing perfectly.

Ideally, I'd like her Flexi Flued but she's within regs as she is and that sort of money just isn't there at the minute. It will be done.

Cheers for the assistance. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

How the f did the baffle buckle?
    What were you burning? The sun or what..lol.. great it's sorted and best get it flexidied asap

Advertisement