Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Very sick cat gone off his food

• 01-01-2020 9:35pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for suggestions on how to make my my 10 y.o. cat more comfortable while I wait to bring him back to the vet tomorrow.

He has, among other things, very severe kidney issues. He's been off his food, lately, and I can see he has serious trouble eating, but there are no obvious sore areas in his mouth. He's been seen by the vet no more than two weeks ago, he got an ultrasound to see if he had any growths in his stomach, but that came back negative. His throat and oesophagus weren't scanned, though. He got some blood tests which were showing his kidney disease had progressed. I've been giving him wet kidney food (not just mashed up, but actually reduced to purée with a food processor, and diluted with some water), but over the past few days he's been swallowing "on empty" more and more often, and he's been gagging when presented with different foods. He'd been eating (well, sort of drinking) small amounts of puréed tuna as well, as I'm afraid he'll develop lipidosis of the liver is he doesn't eat, too, but tonight he's been gagging when presented with food. He had about a quarter of an egg, too, earlier on, but couldn't finish the rest. A few days ago he drank small amounts of lactose-free milk, but now he's refusing it. I know these aren't probably the best things for his kidneys, but I figured "damned if you do and damned if you don't", so I'd try at least. He did get some medications from the vet, but they haven't made a blind bit of difference, only made him even weaker (he looks way more subdued shortly after he's taken them).

Is there anything else I can try to give him to make sure he eats something? Does anyone have any constructive suggestion on how to make him more comfortable? As I said, I'll bring him to the vet tomorrow, but I was hoping to make his night easier.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Asitis2019

New Home wrote: »
    I'm looking for suggestions on how to make my my 10 y.o. cat more comfortable while I wait to bring him back to the vet tomorrow.

He has, among other things, very severe kidney issues. He's been off his food, lately, and I can see he has serious trouble eating, but there are no obvious sore areas in his mouth. He's been seen by the vet no more than two weeks ago, he got an ultrasound to see if he had any growths in his stomach, but that came back negative. His throat and oesophagus weren't scanned, though. He got some blood tests which were showing his kidney disease had progressed. I've been giving him wet kidney food (not just mashed up, but actually reduced to purée with a food processor, and diluted with some water), but over the past few days he's been swallowing "on empty" more and more often, and he's been gagging when presented with different foods. He'd been eating (well, sort of drinking) small amounts of puréed tuna as well, as I'm afraid he'll develop lipidosis of the liver is he doesn't eat, too, but tonight he's been gagging when presented with food. He had about a quarter of an egg, too, earlier on, but couldn't finish the rest. A few days ago he drank small amounts of lactose-free milk, but now he's refusing it. I know these aren't probably the best things for his kidneys, but I figured "damned if you do and damned if you don't", so I'd try at least. He did get some medications from the vet, but they haven't made a blind bit of difference, only made him even weaker (he looks way more subdued shortly after he's taken them).

Is there anything else I can try to give him to make sure he eats something? Does anyone have any constructive suggestion on how to make him more comfortable? As I said, I'll bring him to the vet tomorrow, but I was hoping to make his night easier.

Thanks.

I'm not an expert, but maybe best to leave him be.

Very sad to say it, but you need to do the responsible thing and have an honest conversation with the vet tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Kidney failure results in the toxins in the blood that would normally be removed by the kidneys remaining in the body, and this makes them feel really crappy and not feeling like eating. They want to eat, and will try, but end up just licking the gravy and leaving the meat.

The thing with kidney issues with cats is that they can survive for ages on minimal kidney function, but one it drops below a certain level, the changes can be very sudden and dramatic.

Just try and make him as comfortable as you can tonight and see what the vet says tomorrow. My heart goes out to you as I've just gone through the same thing myself just before Christmas. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MMXX

Does anyone have any constructive suggestion on how to make him more comfortable? As I said, I'll bring him to the vet tomorrow, but I was hoping to make his night easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

I’ve been through this with a cat too. In my case, the lack of eating was the first sign that anything was wrong, and by that stage her kidney values (toxins) were sky high.
    Unfortunately it sounds like your cat is extremely unwell. The toxins in his blood are making him feel sick and I dont think you'll have any luck with getting him to eat. The vet may admit him and put him on a fluid drip to try and flush out the kidneys.

Edited to add... a vet nurse trick to encourage animals to eat is to warm the food up slightly in the microwave, just to make the smell stronger. You could try this, although it sounds like he’s just too sick to eat at the minute.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Does anyone know if there's any gelly-only cat food?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Could you make up some stock?

I lost Lucy last week to kidney disease :( We did fluids at home for months which made a big difference so I don’t know if that’s an option for you? In the end I let her have whatever she wanted - which was raw meat. She wanted what Bailey was having so I just let her have it and loads and loads of treats to get something into her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

I’ve never seen the jelly only stuff, only the “soup”. Theres a few different brands of soup, some are more liquid then others. You may need to try syringe feeding him to get something into him. Fluids are the most important at this stage, for the kidneys.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

tk123 wrote: »
    Could you make up some stock?

I lost Lucy last week to kidney disease :( We did fluids at home for months which made a big difference so I don’t know if that’s an option for you? In the end I let her have whatever she wanted - which was raw meat. She wanted what Bailey was having so I just let her have it and loads and loads of treats to get something into her.

He's had kidney issues on and off since 2013, but it all came to a head last year.

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried with the stock, he gagged as soon as he smelt it. Last night I gave him kitten food in sheer desperation, and he licked all the gelatine off of that. He seemed to be more sprightly this morning, but I know full well not be fooled by that. Hopefully the vet can do something to ease his condition, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Our vets had a sort of mouse food we tried with ours when it had mouth lesions, but syringing was the only doodle she got really, at advice of vet.

Was to no use in the end, 3yo died from mouth cancer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

+ 1 on the cat soup, also something else to try is Lik-e-lix. It's a yoghurt based paste that we used successfully to get our cat to eat more of her wet food after she'd licked all the he gravy or jelly off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I was going to suggest maybe looking on a renal FB group for tips BUT I just found them so upsetting and turned off notifications for the dog ones I joined - in Lucy’s case she didn’t have the tell tale symptoms and basically wasn’t dying compared to all these other dogs. Every day it was dog after dog dying :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Asitis2019 wrote: »
    I'm not an expert, but maybe best to leave him be.

Very sad to say it, but you need to do the responsible thing and have an honest conversation with the vet tomorrow.

Same happened to my cat just before the end but I, not knowing what to do, left it too long and the cat had to suffer a whole final night.

I believe the "not eating" is normal toward the end however mine could drink water for a while. The cat had horrible breath a few days in advance which was what actually alerted me as well.

I agree, sad as it is OP, you need to consider whether it's best to put him/her to sleep.

All the best. It's a terrible choice to have to make based on the advice the vet will give you.

FWIW the vet I dealt with asked whether she could give the cat some sort of shot - I asked how long would that give her - to which the reply was 3 - 6 months.

I said no, knowing it would be the same horrible situation again possibly in just a matter of weeks, and was comfortable it was the right choice.

But it's a horrible decision that requires careful consideration.

The jelly versions of whiskas sachets could be tried in very small small quantities. I remember a cousin who had a cat with a poor appetite did a little better when offered pâté from the delicatessen as suggested by the vet, but when kidney function deteriorated beyond a certain point it is not compatible with life, and the blood pressure rises to a degree that a stroke can ensue.

It is the most bitterly difficult part of pet ownership.

PTS

I have considered all that since he first took ill (and that was before someone - may they rot in hell - took a pitchfork to his neck...), I'm not burying my head in the sand, believe me. I can recognise the signs and symptoms because we've been dealing with them for years.

He's really had a tough life, that's why I was asking for advice on how to make him more comfortable. I'm sorry if I come across as curt, but I'm upset enough as it is seeing him so sick, and being told to face reality (when I'm already doing that) while not providing any concrete advice isn't really helping.

Thanks to all who did try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Poor little cat, and poor you. The feeling of powerlessness when you cant help a loved pet is just so hard. All you can do is provide a comfy bed, and lots of love

How did you get on at the vet?

Thanks aonb. He's repeating the blood tests and putting him on fluids by IV. We're re-evaluating tomorrow. Not looking good, all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Thanks aonb. He's repeating the blood tests and putting him on fluids by IV. We're re-evaluating tomorrow. Not looking good, all the same.

Fluids will help him feel less unwell hopefully. Hes in the right place. Its absolute hell when you know things arent looking good, but you love your cat, you will do what you have to do. Take care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

tk123 wrote: »
    I was going to suggest maybe looking on a renal FB group for tips BUT I just found them so upsetting and turned off notifications for the dog ones I joined - in Lucy’s case she didn’t have the tell tale symptoms and basically wasn’t dying compared to all these other dogs. Every day it was dog after dog dying :(

I had the same experience tk, I found those sites so upsetting and hopeless. I stopped looking too, because for every piece of good info, there were 5 bad outcomes.

Sorry about your cat newhome, unfortunately the prognosis is not good with kidney disease (and I hate to be even saying that cos it doesn’t help).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I lost a much loved Siamese cross years ago to kidney failure. The vet said let her have whatever she wants.

Made up rehydration fluid; pint water, tbs sugar, tsp salt and syringed it into her. Just to keep her comfortable

Loved her all the way; as now getting her to a vet was nigh impossible so I nursed her and cared for her at home. It would have been a total trauma for her.

I know you will do what is right for you and for your cat, New Home. As I did with Pandora... Was with her until the very end...quietly at home... Just know you are in my heart and prayers.

Advertisement