Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Garlic/Onion

Options
  • 01-01-2020 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I took a donation of some soil to my garden and have since been plagued with wild garlic/onion shoots growing. They look like smaller version of scalions from shops and are quite strong in smell when I pull them - they are easily oulled up and have a small bulb attached below ground. I've just been oulling them up every few weeks. Will I eventually get them all in this manner or will I be plagued for years with them? They seem pretty hardy and even as of writing this post they are still growing. Any help or advice appreciated. This is in an area of my garden currently just as soil - I plan to plant grass in spring so want rid of them!

Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

possibly three cornered leek/garlic?
    http://www.wildflowersofireland.net/plant_detail.php?id_flower=283&wildflower=Garlic,%20Three-cornered

we were given some bulbs in error (thinking they were actual wild garlic) and i was pulling them up last year as they appeared. i don't how long or if that tactic will work though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Could it be Ornithogalum Umbellatum?

800px-Ornithogalum_umbellatum_close-up2.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ornithogalum_umbellatum

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Thanks for the replies. Either way I will be putting grass down and want rid of them. I'd like them gone before putting grass down as if I need to go at it with weed killer would prefer not to damage the grass.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

Ultra invasive .Get rid of them all asap! Going to have to dig deep .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you're planning on putting grass down, you won't have to worry. they won't survive regular mowing.

• Advertisement

I'd like your problem :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

wild garlic great for adding to food

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

If it's any consolation, they say the leaves are edible.

But you'd never eat the amount that this plant produces: very invasive. A most enthusiastic spreader.
    You'll see the flowers bend their little heads down and plant the little bulb-lets straight into the soil. Pull off every flower you see, and just relentlessly keep digging up the bulbs wherever you find them.

Mowing WILL discourage them. But they are liable to spring merrily back up in odd corners of the garden.
    Keep a wary eye out!

My homeplace is covered in wild garlic but only under forest cover, I've never seen it spread to grass, assumed that the grass would overpower it

And it is delicious, leaves and flowers in salads, bulbs in day to day cooking

just to clarify - 'actual' wild garlic looks quite different to what the OP mentioned. it has much broader leaves, and a stronger garlic taste and smell than three cornered leek/three cornered garlic:

http://www.wildflowersofireland.net/plant_detail.php?id_flower=220&wildflower=Ramsons

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Wife brought some garlic home from a local forest and planted it in our hedgerow.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I've seen big bunches of it for sale in markets in Spain.

Thanks for all the replies. I have gone with the approach of attempting to dig out as much of them as possible. I already filled half the brown bin this week with soil - I have gone a few inches below ground so hopefully after a few attempts I'll have dug must out of them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭asgaard

whodafunk wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. I have gone with the approach of attempting to dig out as much of them as possible. I already filled half the brown bin this week with soil - I have gone a few inches below ground so hopefully after a few attempts I'll have dug must out of them out.

Do u still have "Wild garlic" or did u dig out all of them?

asgaard wrote: »
    Do u still have "Wild garlic" or did u dig out all of them?

A few (less than 10) sprouted up a week or two ago. I removed them but would not be at all surprised to see more in the coming weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭asgaard

whodafunk wrote: »
    A few (less than 10) sprouted up a week or two ago. I removed them but would not be at all surprised to see more in the coming weeks!

Let me know if u noticed them, are u close to Kildare at all?

if they're three cornered leek, you almost certainly don't want them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Advertisement