Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche cost Dublin

Options
  • 01-01-2020 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    We're due our first in May this year. Trying to get all our ducks in a row re budgeting etc, but as we're blow-ins to Dublin I just want to get an idea of creche costs in North Dublin city. From reading on various sites it would appear to budget for €1000 a month at least, so was thinking of budgeting about €1100 (not sure where we'll find it but needs must).
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I would say 1100eur a month is roughly about right.Assuming 5 full days a week, and not counting for any deductions that there might be under the childcare scheme etc.

Obviously once the baby comes and you get to the stage of needing childcare, you may find yourself considering other options, alongisde creches like a childminder, grandparents, a shorter work week or whatever.But not much point in getting too worried about that now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

We are paying €1600 odd for two after discount. If the creche is Tulsa registered you will are entitled to a minimum subsidy of about €20 per week per child but could be more depending on income. We are based in west county Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Cheers folks, thats a really good starting point.

Kinda panicking now that some places wont take a 6 month old but we'll sort something out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

budhabob wrote: »

Kinda panicking now that some places wont take a 6 month old but we'll sort something out.

It's too expensive for crèches to take 6 month olds because of the ratios required.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Lots won’t take them until a year now as the space and staff is better used on ECCE places. You need to start looking as soon as possible and look at as many as you can, even if you find somewhere you love keep looking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yes there is this.Lots of creches have moved to only taking them from a year old.Can you or your wife take extra parental leave (unpaid) at the end of the mat leave?Also bear in mind your wife should have all the holiday days she doesn't use while on mat leave aswell.Plus any bank holiday days that occur while she is on mat leave.Those are all extra paid days that could be tagged to the end of the mat leave.

shesty wrote: »
    Yes there is this.Lots of creches have moved to only taking them from a year old.Can you or your wife take extra parental leave (unpaid) at the end of the mat leave?Also bear in mind your wife should have all the holiday days she doesn't use while on mat leave aswell.Plus any bank holiday days that occur while she is on mat leave.Those are all extra paid days that could be tagged to the end of the mat leave.

Ya, we're looking at all this now - its bloody complicated stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Ya, we're looking at all this now - its bloody complicated stuff.

It's not that complicated. 26 weeks paid maternity leave can be followed by 16 weeks unpaid maternity leave. Then annual leave and public holiday entitlements can be taken. This brought me up to about 46 weeks off with baby
    No way was I ready to go back at six months. They're still tiny really. Don't make firm plans during pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

lazygal wrote: »
    It's not that complicated. 26 weeks paid maternity leave can be followed by 16 weeks unpaid maternity leave. Then annual leave and public holiday entitlements can be taken. This brought me up to about 46 weeks off with baby
    No way was I ready to go back at six months. They're still tiny really. Don't make firm plans during pregnancy.

Each parent now has two weeks of parents leave too, so if you both mind your annual leave between this and when the baby is born, you may well make it up to the 12 months without needing a crèche. Obviously funding it all might complicate matters though!

Save as much as you can from now and if your partner is fully paid while on the 26 weeks mat leave, enough to cover the bills monthly for any unpaid time.That was my approach.I didn't save enough to cover my full monthly salary but I saved enough to cover household bills during unpaid leave and stretch the leave as far as I could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

lazygal wrote: »
    Can be more complicated than that.
    E.g. funds may not simply allow 16 weeks unpaid leave.
    I'm a teacher and so when my mat leave ran over the summer that WAS my annual leave so I couldn't simply tag on AL at the end of maternity leave. Parental leave isn't necessarily guaranteed either as the employer can refuse the first request.
    Not much help to the op but not as uncomplicated as it may first seem

Can be more complicated than that.
    E.g. funds may not simply allow 16 weeks unpaid leave.
    I'm a teacher and so when my mat leave ran over the summer that WAS my annual leave so I couldn't simply tag on AL at the end of maternity leave. Parental leave isn't necessarily guaranteed either as the employer can refuse the first request.
    Not much help to the op but not as uncomplicated as it may first seem

Exactly, when you consider all the implications: cost, leave, work policy, creche availability, personal circumstances.....there are alot of moving parts to get right, or at least figure out.

Advertisement