Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WandaVision - Disney+ (***Spoilers***)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 paulie1983

The beginning of the latest episode was Malcolm in the Middle

I know are you saying Malcom In The Middle was a 90s show ? Its a 00s show it never aired in the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The beginning of the latest episode was Malcolm in the Middle

Technically MitM first aired in 2000 but it was clearly a product of the 90s. It's not like there is a cut off where culture automatically stops and evolves over night.

For the record it didn't bother me that WandaVisiom "skipped" the 90s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

paulie1983 wrote: »
    I know are you saying Malcom In The Middle was a 90s show ? Its a 00s show it never aired in the 90s.

It was filmed in the 90s and showed 90s life... We all understand. But to drive it home, maybe its more like Clarissa Explains It All, if that's what you want to hear :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭madalig12

If they dont do 'friends' im gonna be pissed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,835 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

How I met your mother could be a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Going off the promo below, from a few weeks ago, it looks very much like they are doing Modern Family next

Don’t see the evidence in that clip. They can’t do how I met your mother, friends, etc. as it has to be a family show.

I’ve never seen Malcolm in the Middle but it’s a likely candidate if it dies the mockumentary style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭shawki

Sitcoms I would have liked to see:

Home Improvement
    Married with Children
    Happy Days
    The Middle
    Animated series like Flintstones/Jetsons
    Boy meets World

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Don’t see the evidence in that clip. They can’t do how I met your mother, friends, etc. as it has to be a family show.

I’ve never seen Malcolm in the Middle but it’s a likely candidate if it dies the mockumentary style.

45 seconds in they have Wanda doing the speaking to the camera mockumentary bit, and her lines are delivered a lot like Phil did in Modern family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,984 ✭✭✭paulbok

I think this might be the end of the sitcom format. There's nowhere to really go with it now.

I'm surprised they didn't go for a Friends style 90's intro. Starting at the 50's there were 9 decades to reference for 9 episodes.
    Maybe next week has a flashback or Wanda tries to reset everything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Their take On Malcolm In The Middle didn't really work at all. It didn't capture any of the humour of MITM at all

siblers wrote: »
    Their take On Malcolm In The Middle didn't really work at all. It didn't capture any of the humour of MITM at all

They spent a lot less time on the sitcom element, and apart from the opening credits not sure there was much intent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,136 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't think at this stage it's really meant to. The sitcom aspect is being truncated more and more because Wanda is trying to replicate an idyllic American family life for her and Vision (and now the kids) using sitcom styles as a sort of framing device, but now she's losing control over it all so it's just becoming an intro to the style and time period of world she's trying to create.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

It worked as much as the others for me, but it’s the period that seemed off. The title sequence, particularly the font, were 90s... but then you’d a single cam, wall breaking setup that was really the 00s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,852 ✭✭✭✭klose

I'm surprised they didn't do a friend's themed episode, probably the most famous sitcom of all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

I think it says a lot for the quality of this episode when most comments are about what decade the comedy was aping..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

klose wrote: »
    I'm surprised they didn't do a friend's themed episode, probably the most famous sitcom of all?

They’re only parodying family sitcoms now.

Loughc wrote: »
    They’re only parodying family sitcoms now.

Maybe it's mirroring Wanda's changing circumstances, couple sitcom, family sitcom and when it all starts to unravel, Breaking Bad and then GOT when she goes full dragon queen. :D

It worked as much as the others for me, but it’s the period that seemed off. The title sequence, particularly the font, were 90s... but then you’d a single cam, wall breaking setup that was really the 00s?

Malcolm often broke the 4th wall, like Deadpool.
    Just saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,405 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

paulbok wrote: »
    Maybe it's mirroring Wanda's changing circumstances, couple sitcom, family sitcom and when it all starts to unravel, Breaking Bad and then GOT when she goes full dragon queen. :D

Well I’d say your actually pretty right, it’s her current circumstances. She portraying the life she wants using reference points from tv for how her life would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

The homage was most clearly to Malcom in the Middle which started in 00. The credits and the boys talking to the camera was 100% Malcolm. Breaking the 4th wall in sitcoms was reasonably common in the 90s too. With Clarissa Explains it All, Saved by the Bell and occasionally Fresh Prince doing it. I feel the last two episodes have been blended decades. Last week the sitcoms portrayed in the credits were Family Ties (80s), Growing Pains (mid80s-early90s) and Full House (late80-mid90s). This week was more late90-early00s in feel.

I was a little disappointed that we didn't get a more fully 90s centric episode with a Married With Children/Simpsons style episode. But realistically they just don't fit with Wanda's narrative. Al Bundy and Homer are not even slightly a representation of her vision of Vision.:P Al and Peg, especially, aren't great people and their marriage is toxic. While the Wilkerson family is chaotic, Hal is a great person who loves deeply and has a variety of random talents. All of the children, while unruly, are extremely intelligent or talented in some ways (Reese's cooking, Francis did a decent job on the ranch). Lois is controlling and displays anger but she is like a lioness who would destroy anyone who hurts her family. So while the fractiousness of the family represents Wanda's loss of control, it is still a family defined by it's constant, deep love.

Something I just realised, Hayward would have known that Wanda had stolen Vision's body before sending Monica to meet Woo.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

Watched Endgame again today, and noticed that Wanda, Falcon and Bucky are standing together in their own little group at the funeral. I will not be surprised if the boys show up in Wandavision.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

flazio wrote: »
    I'll be honest, I reckon a decent editor could make a coherent motion picture out of what we have seen so far without reshoots. This has been made into a series for the sake of getting 2 months worth of Disney+ subscriptions out of Marvel fans.
    I'm enjoying it, but I don't think it has rewatch value in this format.

I'm confident those arguments could be made against nearly every single TV show.

At a fundamental level every show exists to keep you watching - I'm not sure why it is an implied negative because it is on Disney+. Also, the first season of most shows (or even later seasons) could be made into a relatively tight movie. Sure at this point we've barely seen more than a long motion picture.

If a person just wants to consume things as fast as possible they might as well just watch the 5 minute breakdown on YouTube or read the Wikipedia synopsis. I get the point that this show would work as a movie but it would lose so much of what people seem to be enjoying about it - the mystery, the character development.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Watched Endgame again today, and noticed that Wanda, Falcon and Bucky are standing together in their own little group at the funeral. I will not be surprised if the boys show up in Wandavision.

I doubt it because they couldn't be of any significant help - neither would fall into the 'Strongest Avenger' discussion.

I don't think it would do too much for their credibility to carry their own show to arrive in here and be about as useful as Darcy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,136 ✭✭✭✭Penn

After that she talks with Hawkeye at the side of the lake. Doesn't mean he's likely to appear in Wandavision.

Any of them could potentially appear in each others shows, but standing beside each other in one scene in a previous movie doesn't make that any more or less likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Penn wrote: »
    After that she talks with Hawkeye at the side of the lake. Doesn't mean he's likely to appear in Wandavision.

Point well made but Hawkeye would actually fit in here a lot better than Bucky or Sam. They have history. He's probably one of the few Avengers left who could talk her down.

I'm sure it wont happen because Renner wouldn't be cheap and it would have leaked already but it's an interesting thought.

Kirby wrote: »
    Point well made but Hawkeye would actually fit in here a lot better than Bucky or Sam. They have history. He's probably one of the few Avengers left who could talk her down.

I'm sure it wont happen because Renner wouldn't be cheap and it would have leaked already but it's an interesting thought.

Renner is getting his own Hawkeye series, if they can afford him for that, I'm sure they could afford him for a cameo in this. Not that I'm saying it will happen but I don't think money would be the obstacle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Renner is getting his own Hawkeye series, if they can afford him for that, I'm sure they could afford him for a cameo in this. Not that I'm saying it will happen but I don't think money would be the obstacle.

Hawkeye series isn't based on Renners Hawkeye, it's based on Kate Bishop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,835 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Hawkeye series isn't based on Renners Hawkeye, it's based on Kate Bishop

Renner is still in it's a passing of the torch series and he is the main lead of the series.

Advertisement