Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WandaVision - Disney+ (***Spoilers***)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of superhero stuff at all, and had to Google MCU. Will this still be accessible to me?

I’ve seen some of the films (not all) and I don’t think I get it at the level loads here do. I don’t go looking for connections and hidden clues for example.

Still enjoy it

I would say though that if you aren’t even aware of the MCU, then diving into a superhero tv show probably isn’t for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I read something today that's mad... Mephisto already exists within the MCU and was known to be an accomplice of SHIELD

Super-nerds slowed down every frame of each movie and found this, people are unreal :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Zardoz

flazio wrote: »
    I'll be honest, I reckon a decent editor could make a coherent motion picture out of what we have seen so far without reshoots. This has been made into a series for the sake of getting 2 months worth of Disney+ subscriptions out of Marvel fans.
    I'm enjoying it, but I don't think it has rewatch value in this format.

Agreed.

I don't think much of the show if I'm honest.
    The sitcom element is forced, tedious and not funny.
    You could nearly fast forward through those parts, its just padding and a distraction.

Olsen and Bettanys acting is good and convincing but the supporting characters outside the town like Darcy, Monica, and Jimmy Woo are one dimensional.
    They act like they are teenage sleuths solving a mystery.
    Their dialogue is so corny and cliched, it constantly undermines any dramatic tension.
    Every one of them is doing a bad impression of Robert Downey Jr. doing quips as Tony Stark.
    Their acting is pretty woeful too.

The series is like a twin episode of the Twilight Zone or the Outer Limits dragged out to 3 hours plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭tbahh

A brilliant episode. I think we all knew something was up with Agnes. Her intro song was fun and catchy, too. It all has to "kick off" now. I don't really see Agnes sticking around after the show ends, either. Probably replaced by the 'real' villain of the next phase.

I wonder now that we know who Agnes is, will they stop doing the comedy-show pastiches? Apart from the obvious The Office and Modern Family references, the end part reminded me quite a lot of Desperate Housewives. In a way, Wanda has become one now. The show (DH) is also part of ABC's (i.e. Disney's) repertoire, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Don'tforgetabout dottie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,405 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of superhero stuff at all, and had to Google MCU. Will this still be accessible to me?

I’m the same as you and really enjoying it. I read some of the stuff on here and haven’t a clue what anyone is talking about outside of what’s actually shown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Another great episode.

I feel sorry for those with no patience who stopped watching after 2 or 3 episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Ridley

I like that the song as credited is named "
    It Was _____ All Along
    ."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Not the first time Kathryn Hahn has been involved in a big Marvel plot twist. In the movie "Into the Spider Verse" she voiced Doctor Olivia
    Octavius, AKA Doc Ock
    To be honest I thought they were going to do a Bo Katan here and bring a cartoon character to real life with the voice actor. Now that would have been a plot twist to cap Quick Silver

I also think Wandavision has achieved something that Marvel hasn't tried before, smaller villains like Agnes being used in inventive ways and there's plenty of characters to dip into. Other thing I've noticed is that Wandavision seems to constantly border into far darker themes than their other Marvel ip. Really does feel Marvel is in a place where they should contemplate making that darker Marvel content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I also think Wandavision has achieved something that Marvel hasn't tried before, smaller villains like Agnes being used in inventive ways and there's plenty of characters to dip into. Other thing I've noticed is that Wandavision seems to constantly border into far darker themes than their other Marvel ip. Really does feel Marvel is in a place where they should contemplate making that darker Marvel content.

I'm certain they said Multiverse of Madness was to be a horror-esqu movie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

They did however with Scott Derickson's departure I wouldn't expect too scary, I think he left creative differences suggesting maybe they were trying to reign in his horror tendencies. Pure speculation on my part, they did after all replace him with Raimi but Raimi seems more at ease blending horror with family friendly, see the Doc Oc surgery scene in SM2.

But certainly with the likes of Blade on the horizon I'm expecting darker from future films. They're at point where they have to keep the kids who grew up with these films interested while also gaining new fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,060 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

FunLover18 wrote: »
    They did however with Scott Derickson's departure I wouldn't expect too scary, I think he left creative differences suggesting maybe they were trying to reign in his horror tendencies. Pure speculation on my part, they did after all replace him with Raimi but Raimi seems more at ease blending horror with family friendly, see the Doc Oc surgery scene in SM2.

But certainly with the likes of Blade on the horizon I'm expecting darker from future films. They're at point where they have to keep the kids who grew up with these films interested while also gaining new fans.

Marvel confirmed they are keeping Deadpool R-Rated so next phase Marvel and the MCU are branching out.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Marvel confirmed they are keeping Deadpool R-Rated so next phase Marvel and the MCU are branching out.

True, I'd just hope they're willing to branch out in the darker directions that Daredevil and Punisher went on the TV shows too. There's that entire Marvel Max domain that's such a ripe opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Ridley wrote: »
    I like that the song as credited is named "
    It Was _____ All Along
    ."

Thats song is going to be stuck in my head for days :pac:

Not a major surprise at the end but a brilliant reveal all the same.

Really enjoyed
    Monica coming into her powers too, some great soundbites from CM, and it seemed to be her voice that was driving her on. Looking forward to seeing more of her powers in action

And that clip at the end, despite how quick it was
    pretty much confirms something is properly "off" with Peter/Pietro. At this stage we can either assume Agatha is controlling him or he's someone else. Mephisto maybe?

Will be interesting to see how this all started now we have more of an idea of what's going on.

Anyway, I'm off to listen to that song ten more times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭joficeduns1

A great episode, but not the best. I enjoy the sitcoms homages but you can tell they're just not to the same quality of the originals, nor should they have to be. For example they used a music score throughout the "episode" today in some places where in its source material (i.e. The Office/Modern Family) it's the absence of a score that makes the comedy fall right.

Loving the story though, so many revealed elements tonight. We're in for a banging final two episodes.

Disappointed about the aerospace engineer reveal, if that was really it? Seemed a strange thing that caught so much speculation to not have a payoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

murpho999 wrote: »
    Another great episode.

I feel sorry for those with no patience who stopped watching after 2 or 3 episodes.

Is this going to be the tagline of this show forever?

Who really gives a sh1t if people stopped watching? If it wasn't for them it's not a big deal, it certainly doesn't need to be posted after every episode.

I liked this episode anyway, the reveal at the end works well as trolling those of us who didn't believe the character was a baddie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Is this going to be the tagline of this show forever?

Who really gives a sh1t if people stopped watching? If it wasn't for them it's not a big deal, it certainly doesn't need to be posted after every episode.

I liked this episode anyway, the reveal at the end works well as trolling those of us who didn't believe the character was a baddie.

Sorry to upset you.

First time I posted it.

For me it's not about it's "not for them" it's just with some shows you get a slow burn or scene setting or character development but a lot of people want constant action and plot development and they then lose patience and then miss out on the big pay off.

It was the same with Breaking Bad a few years ago, some of my favourite episodes was slower stuff ("The Fly") is one example but people labelled them filler but then called it amazing when someone got killed or they robbed a train.

Anyhow, glad to see we're both enjoying Wandavision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Really liking how this series is shaping up, look forward to it every friday.
    I am really glad it's weekly, there is a lot packed into each episode.
    Opening titles again a lot of fun.
    Kathryn Hahn terrific as usual, she is such a versatile actress,
    the TV montage about Agatha was particularly amazing...she killed sparkie!!!!
    Also on a side note...Elizabeth Olsen does an excellent Claire Dunphy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

murpho999 wrote: »
    Sorry to upset you.

First time I posted it.

For me it's not about it's "not for them" it's just with some shows you get a slow burn or scene setting or character development but a lot of people want constant action and plot development and they then lose patience and then miss out on the big pay off.

It was the same with Breaking Bad a few years ago, some of my favourite episodes was slower stuff ("The Fly") is one example but people labelled them filler but then called it amazing when someone got killed or they robbed a train.

Anyhow, glad to see we're both enjoying Wandavision.
    I think most people who watched from the beginning understood what the show was trying to do and as you say it was a slow burn mystery, but the thing about slow burns is that do they have enough to keep the attention during the more quieter moments?

You used Breaking Bad as an example and I'll follow suit by using Better Call Saul; the latter was arguably a slower burn than BB, but it had enough about it to keep the viewer interested. I would say Wandavision probably took a bit too much for granted in the early episodes but it's inconsequential at this point.

• Advertisement

Would make sense given some of the directors previous films

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

gmisk wrote: »
    Really liking how this series is shaping up, look forward to it every friday.
    I am really glad it's weekly, there is a lot packed into each episode.
    Opening titles again a lot of fun.
    Kathryn Hahn terrific as usual, she is such a versatile actress,
    the TV montage about Agatha was particularly amazing...she killed sparkie!!!!
    Also on a side note...Elizabeth Olsen does an excellent Claire Dunphy!
    So Agatha killed Sparky...
    John Wick coming to the MCU confirmed
    :pac:

The whole cast has been exceptional, sad to say that it took WandaVision to be my introduction to Kathryn Hahn, she's been a revelation...

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    So Agatha killed Sparky...
    John Wick coming to the MCU confirmed
    :pac:

The whole cast has been exceptional, sad to say that it took WandaVision to be my introduction to Kathryn Hahn, she's been a revelation...

Hahn is such a wonderful comedy actor, think I first encountered her in Parks and Rec. Hope this opens up more roles for her, she has wonderful range.

Hahn is such a wonderful comedy actor, think I first encountered her in Parks and Rec. Hope this opens up more roles for her, she has wonderful range.
    Totally agree, loved that character.
    PONCHO!

If you haven't seen Mrs Fletcher before it is well worth a watch she is front and centre in it, still classified as comedy seemingly but a world away, she is brilliant in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

7: Oh I wasn't expecting
    that line about killin Sparky! That turned it from a fun jingle to a WHAT!!?!?

Thought the credits scene was good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

To be honest I'm not really feeling this so far, it has its good moments but overall I could take it or leave it. Seeing as it's seven episodes in, I'll watch the rest of the season. Not a big fan of the sitcom style but I like all the little easter eggs or nods to other stuff. Kind of feels like this could have been a film and it would have done the same job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Was this the first ep with a mid credit scene?

I think there being an mid/end credit scene in this episode signifies that Wanda's sitcom vision is over. We're now back in the MCU and the MCU has these scenes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭brevity

Elizabeth Olsen is very pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

PsychoPete wrote: »
    To be honest I'm not really feeling this so far, it has its good moments but overall I could take it or leave it. Seeing as it's seven episodes in, I'll watch the rest of the season. Not a big fan of the sitcom style but I like all the little easter eggs or nods to other stuff. Kind of feels like this could have been a film and it would have done the same job

If its done the same job of a film then that's mission accomplished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

brevity wrote: »
    Elizabeth Olsen is very pretty.

That's a given. What is more evident is that Elizabeth Olsen is an amazing actress.the tone changes had made her a real stand out for me

Advertisement