Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WandaVision - Disney+ (***Spoilers***)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I can definitely see Kathryn Hahn returning in a future MCU installment given how well received she was in WandaVision. I can see her taking on a similar role to Loki as a recurring antagonist but not necessarily the primary villain.

I really liked the finale especially the logical debate between the two Visions as a way of finishing a duel. Very appropriate for the character.

I think the only misstep in the whole show was Evan Peters casting not having any real consequence because that meant it was just stunt casting without any substance behind it.

Overall, I think some of the writing for the whole show was very poignant and Olsen, Bettany and Hahn were fantastic (especially Olsen who was really given a chance to stretch her acting skills). Looking forward to seeing her return in the next Dr Strange movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Absolute load of pish. I'm really annoyed at myself for not quitting on this show early on.

Sure enough, it was a pathetic bait-and-switch on the part of the writers to tease X-Men involvement and then not deliver on it. The show descended into something I've heard Mark Kermode bring up when referring to the MCU: whenever there is an interesting story to be told it invariably fizzles out with a CGI light show in the final act. That's exactly what happened in this episode.

And then I almost fell out of my chair when we were subjected to that laughable bit of dialogue between Monica and Wanda. 'They'll never know what you sacrificed for them'. What was that? Giving up a phony and fictitious family that necessitated them all being incarcerated for weeks in a hellhole where they had their minds controlled? Where they will have probably been traumatised so badly it will affect them for the rest of their days? GTFO out of here. And then Wanda Pissemalloff doesn't even have the decency to apologize for her outrageous selfishness.

I can't help but wonder how these writers would fare had they not got millions of dollars to blow on CGI effects, and had to actually put more thought into crafting storylines that had to make some sort of sense. Overall, this was a dreadful show that relied on cheap gimmicks early on, as well as teasing their audience, in order to mask what was, ultimately, a very bland, boring storyline involving bland, boring and mostly made-up characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭newirishman

Absolute load of pish. I'm really annoyed at myself for not quitting on this show early on.

Sure enough, it was a pathetic bait-and-switch on the part of the writers to tease X-Men involvement and then not deliver on it. The show descended into something I've heard Mark Kermode bring up when referring to the MCU: whenever there is an interesting story to be told it invariably fizzles out with a CGI light show in the final act. That's exactly what happened in this episode.

And then I almost fell out of my chair when we were subjected to that laughable bit of dialogue between Monica and Wanda. 'They'll never know what you sacrificed for them'. What was that? Giving up a phony and fictitious family that necessitated them all being incarcerated for weeks in a hellhole where they had their minds controlled? Where they will have probably been traumatised so badly it will affect them for the rest of their days? GTFO out of here. And then Wanda Pissemalloff doesn't even have the decency to apologize for her outrageous selfishness.

I can't help but wonder how these writers would fare had they not got millions of dollars to blow on CGI effects, and had to actually put more thought into crafting storylines that had to make some sort of sense. Overall, this was a dreadful show that relied on cheap gimmicks early on, as well as teasing their audience, in order to mask what was, ultimately, a very bland, boring storyline involving bland, boring and mostly made-up characters.

Nah, I think you are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I think Wanda's actions will come back around, look at how the people of Westview looked at her when she was walking through town after the Hex had gone, fully aware and now knowing what she did to them, due to her own combined trauma and grief since she was introduced in the mid credits of The Winter Soldier, then the grief of watching Vision die twice in Infinity War, then being snapped out of existence, then blipped back mere weeks later for her, she made them suffer with her, that in itself feels like foreshadowing for anti mutant hatred, whenever the X-Men are introduced...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I think Wanda's actions will come back around, look at how the people of Westview looked at her when she was walking through town after the Hex had gone, fully aware and now knowing what she did to them, due to her own combined trauma and grief since she was introduced in the mid credits of The Winter Soldier, then the grief of watching Vision die twice in Infinity War, then being snapped out of existence, then blipped back mere weeks later for her, she made them suffer with her, that in itself feels like foreshadowing for anti mutant hatred, whenever the X-Men are introduced...

Interesting take. It would be welcome if they were doing a slow burn on Wanda's powers, eventually revealing they're borne from part Witch, part latent "malfunctioning" gene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Interesting take. It would be welcome if they were doing a slow burn on Wanda's powers, eventually revealing they're borne from part Witch, part latent "malfunctioning" gene.

Especially now seeing as she's so OP'd in universe, it'd make sense to slow burn her powers, get a better understanding of what she can actually do, which is how I think she'll fit in and assist Doctor Strange in his next film..

I mean originally wasn't The Falcon & The Winter Soldier supposed to be the first new Marvel show to premier on Disney+, but circumstances forced Marvel to rejig their plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

So the rabbit turned out to be just a rabbit? :D

And where is agatha now after Wanda got rid of the hex? Is she still under wandas spell and just part of the town now? Would the other townsfolk not remember who she was?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Tefral

Penn wrote: »
    His memories were unlocked and he was regaining his sentience and consciousness, but it seems that given how SWORD messed with his programming he needed to go off until he's fully himself again, in case he was still under their control.

My guess. Wakanda....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Think that was a mixed bag.
    Fantastic show with so many unnecessary red hearings.

The final was great, but I just kept thinking about Jimmy’s POI, Dottie, why Even Peters? Who that mystery cameo was gonna be, the other big bad, Darcys science friend... and that’s only some of the things I can remember now, they deliberately did this, so you can’t blame people for expecting some big reveals, so yeah, it was a bit frustrating.

On the other hand, it was a great episode. As an AoS fan I loved seeing the Darkhold. The Incredibles family team up was deadly. The wizard of Oz bit was funny. olison and bettany smashed it again. A good season of television that I wish I had of binged over a week rather than two months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

kerplun k wrote: »

On the other hand, it was a great episode. As an AoS fan I loved seeing the Darkhold. The Incredibles family team up was deadly. The wizard of Oz bit was funny. olison and bettany smashed it again. A good season of television that I wish I had of binged over a week rather than two months.

Pity it isn't the same one though, it looks different?

Darkhold means Blade will be introduced too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Finished! Overall, really good series! They did Wanda and her improvised Universe and TV shows and the stories she created for them based on her memories of her youth really well. Looking forward to more of her powers.

9: That was cool. Great to see Wanda taking her Omega level powers at a more refined level. Wondering what's gonna happen with Vision. Like he remembers so.. I assume he'll look for Wanda.

Those 2 credits scenes! Especially the last one, Woah!
    Slydice wrote: »
    4: That was great! What I'm really wondering at the moment is whether
    the kids were conceived before Vision was killed and that's gonna explain their rapid aging.

Now I'm really wondering!

So I liked it but not amazing. Agatha being trapped by Wanda was cruel imho and I wish that it hadn't turned out that Agatha was an outright villain. The fight sequences for the most part felt tacked on for the most part, I'd have prefer to have watched elaborate philosophical arguments between the visions, I really liked that scene.

I think the villain side of Wanda is interesting but I wish this was standalone to some degree where it felt like there was a conclusion.

Was the skrull appearance the Obi Wan level cameo or what? :pac: Also the final post credits scene was filmed in Ireland. Anyone recognise the location?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

Going into it my other half had told me that Mephisto was going to be in (She had seen a funko pop of him apparently), The Paul Bettany interview where he talked about working with someone he always wanted to work with and assuming that Doctor Strange to pop up.

When none of these things happened, I didn't mind. I enjoyed it without any of that stuff.

The only thing is a couple of nagging questions. Who put the letter in Wanda's car, telling her to go to the house? and Quicksilver casting leads to nothing really.

Watching the post-credit scene, I got evil dead vibes, I know Rami doing Doctor Strange 2, so probably why it poped into my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Where has white Vision gone off to,what happened to the rabbit too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

White Vision being served was entertaining but his regained thoughts was a tad too easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Weirdly... I think the finale was a _little_ underwhelming, but I reckon when you watch the whole series as a whole, it will be wholly satisfying. If that makes any sense at all, I’m not sure. But still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,984 ✭✭✭paulbok

So I liked it but not amazing. Agatha being trapped by Wanda was cruel imho and I wish that it hadn't turned out that Agatha was an outright villain. The fight sequences for the most part felt tacked on for the most part, I'd have prefer to have watched elaborate philosophical arguments between the visions, I really liked that scene.

I think the villain side of Wanda is interesting but I wish this was standalone to some degree where it felt like there was a conclusion.

Was the skrull appearance the Obi Wan level cameo or what? :pac: Also the final post credits scene was filmed in Ireland. Anyone recognise the location?

Doesn't look like anywhere in Ireland? Seen New Zealand filming credits as well so would fit if it was there.

Can any of the AoS fans give a brief history of that book?
    Any particular season of AoS to watch to sus it out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

White Vision being served was entertaining but his regained thoughts was a tad too easy.

For a second there, I’d the fear we were heading towards a Kirk style logical paradox takedown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭eggy81

paulbok wrote: »
    Doesn't look like anywhere in Ireland? Seen New Zealand filming credits as well so would fit if it was there.

Just finished watching Aos over about a month. Absolutely brilliant tv. In aos reading the dark hold gives the reader the knowledge to basically create new worlds and life itself. The knowledge to achieve eternal life even. Think it’s season 4 and 5 that deal with it.

Yep I read on den of geek that it was Ireland but don't think it was. I jumped to conclusions when I saw the financing from the Irish government in credits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Also the final post credits scene was filmed in Ireland. Anyone recognise the location?
    the house could be just on a stage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Yep I read on den of geek that it was Ireland but don't think it was. I jumped to conclusions when I saw the financing from the Irish government in credits.

I think one of the VFX houses was based here.

On Reddit it's been put down to visual effects being done in an Irish studio. The media would have been all over any filming being done here

In the final end credit scene when
    the Scarlet Witch astral form was reading the book it sounded like her kids were calling out to her for help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

In the final end credit scene when
    the Scarlet Witch astral form was reading the book it sounded like her kids were calling out to her for help?

Yeah, I reckon she's finding them in another universe.

Yeah, I reckon she's finding them in another universe.

After it was just explained to me what that book can do, maybe she creates the multiverse?

Damn it, I'm not going down the rabbit hole again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Well I really enjoyed it. It had an original hook, a story that ties in well with the MCU and a fantastic cast.

While others hate the Erik Peters casting, it was a nice nod from my perspective. People get so worked up. Xmen, when they are introduced, should be a clean slate with a new cast. The QS nod was cool, and people expecting more expect too much.

Loved the Vision v Vision debate.

Overall a fine series which had me hooked and wanting more. Happy with the end product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭quokula

This won’t be a popular opinion but by the end the whole arc the show struck me as falling into some pretty sexist tropes. Female superhero turns out to literally be a witch, also creates the whole mess because she couldn’t control her emotions and really just wanted to live happily ever after with husband and kids.

I say this as someone who’s never read the comics and saw most of the films but barely remembers the details as I view them as light and breezy popcorn flicks. So I guess there’s certain obligations to being somewhat faithful to decades old source material, which is somewhat ironic when they used the early sitcom episodes to call out some of those old fashioned attitudes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭pah

jface187 wrote: »
    The only thing is a couple of nagging questions. Who put the letter in Wanda's car, telling her to go to the house?

It was on the passenger seat of her car if I recall. Nothing to suggest it was left by anyone else or that she was surprised by it. I assume it was something Vision had given her before the events of Infinity War.

• Advertisement

quokula wrote: »
    This won’t be a popular opinion but by the end the whole arc the show struck me as falling into some pretty sexist tropes. Female superhero turns out to literally be a witch, also creates the whole mess because she couldn’t control her emotions and really just wanted to live happily ever after with husband and kids.

I say this as someone who’s never read the comics and saw most of the films but barely remembers the details as I view them as light and breezy popcorn flicks. So I guess there’s certain obligations to being somewhat faithful to decades old source material, which is somewhat ironic when they used the early sitcom episodes to call out some of those old fashioned attitudes.

Oh god.....

Really?

Advertisement