Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WandaVision - Disney+ (***Spoilers***)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I think it was just an all round better executed episode. The comedy actually landed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭larchielads

I love Lucy musta been a big hit in sakovia when Wanda was growing up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

3rd episode gets pretty dark, pretty quick

Very enjoyable show

Half recognised the Doctor and his voice was most definitely something I remembered from recently.

Did a rewatch of Star Trek: Enterprise, recently, he's Degra in season 3. So I could not vibe the voice with a 20 year older man

It has me hooked. Knowing that it was all a sham, so far, easily got me through the first 2 episodes (yes they would have been a single 40min episode).

Now we're seeing the cracks appearing and we've a super powered Truman Show, brought to us by SWORD, to contend with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Foxtrol wrote: »
    We're apparently at most one sixth of the way through the series (other sources say we aren't even that far). All signs point to the black and white elements being over now and the second episode was already a big step away from the basic sitcom format that we saw in the first.

What you're saying is akin to complaining that the ads in the run up for a 2 hour movie showed the characters in space and then giving out that they haven't left earth after the first 20 minutes.

You're entitled to your opinion but it just seems there is a complete lack of patience

I wasn't complaining I was agreeing with the poster I quoted, echoing the amount of advertising they did showing how the show would move beyond the sitcom parodies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think it was just an all round better executed episode. The comedy actually landed.

I don't think the comedy landed at all and nor did it in any of the episodes.

Also I don't think it's supposed to so I don't get why people are talking about the comedy elements of the show.

It's clear to me how the laughter track is used so often, even when nothing funny is said that they're showing that this is some sort of fantasy world either created by Wanda or maybe Hydra (sorry, I'm not big into Marvel lore).

That being said, thought E3 really picked up the levels and the layers of the fantasy world are starting to unravel and i've glad I stuck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I was thinking the hedge trimmer is pretty tough to cut through the wall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Ridley

murpho999 wrote: »

Also I don't think it's supposed to so I don't get why people are talking about the comedy elements of the show.

It's clear to me how the laughter track is used so often, even when nothing funny is said that they're showing that this is some sort of fantasy world either created by Wanda or maybe Hydra (sorry, I'm not big into Marvel lore).

That being said, thought E3 really picked up the levels and the layers of the fantasy world are starting to unravel and i've glad I stuck with it.

The comedy is definitely supposed to be funny.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

A much better episode in E3, the payoff is definitely going to be worth it.

The final shot just shows the scale we are dealing with.

• Advertisement

Ridley wrote: »

Not the impression I get at all, because it's simply not funny.

Laughter track added to moments too that are just not funny either, like doctor saying she was pregnant.

It's more cheesy to me and deliberately so to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Ridley

Not the impression I get at all, because it's simply not funny.

Laughter track added to moments too that are just not funny either, like doctor saying she was pregnant.

It's more cheesy to me and deliberately so to me.

The gag where a doctor diagnoses a visibly pregnant woman as pregnant isn't supposed to be funny?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Yes otherwise are we meant to sit through it stone faced waiting for the "ooooh the mask drops" moments.

They brought Dick Van Dyke on as a consultant for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

3: That episode was freakin brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Holding out a lot of hope for e3 as 1 and 2 are the most self indulgent crap i have ever seen and that is from someone who loved Bewitched growing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,134 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think the "comedy" is supposed to be more cheesy and representative of the types of shows they're emulating rather than just "funny". I don't think most of us would laugh at too much of Bewitched or The Brady Bunch these days.

That said there have been bits I have laughed at, as cheesy sometimes works, and I'm enjoying their performances of it.

Also I think someone else already posted that most of the first two episodes at least weren't laugh tracks, but filmed in front of an audience. But even then, the laugh tracks where used is where they would have been used in these types of shows anyway, and are no less egregious than the likes of The Big Bang Theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Penn wrote: »
    I think the "comedy" is supposed to be more cheesy and representative of the types of shows they're emulating rather than just "funny".

This is exactly it.

There’s also a Stepford Wives/Truman Show vibe too (ie the ‘picket fences’ America as portrayed in these shows at that time didn’t really exist)

As I said earlier the dark crept in pretty quickly in episode 3.

i think there's a "banana taped to a wall" sort of vibe from some of the reviewers here:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Episode 3 was really good, the look and feel of it is amazing, I am guessing they are going to jump to 80s sitcom next week?
    Really clicked into gear in last 10 minutes I thought, it cranked up the sinister side of things.
    more references to sword?, I guess they need a replacement for shield after it kinda fell apart in films. Is there anymore meaning to the ads other than little nods to the MCU (hydra this week)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭shawki

I think some people are just looking for sequel to endgame and are annoyed that isn't the case.

This show was always going to be a slow burn.

• Advertisement

The gag where a doctor diagnoses a visibly pregnant woman as pregnant isn't supposed to be funny?

Very first scene, doctor has stethoscope on and says "mmm" and there's laugh track then he says "yep, definitely pregnant" and more laughing.

There was anything funny about it but I think they're deliberately adding the track as I think its an idealised version of a comedy but not real.

shawki wrote: »
    I think some people are just looking for sequel to endgame and are annoyed that isn't the case.

Agree with this, it's building up and setting the scene now.

I'm sure when complete that these will all make sense and then we'd appreciate them more.

shawki wrote: »

Definitely not, as a stand alone show its even worse, certainly didn't expect anything like the film's, we all seen the trailers and knew what it was, just didn't realize that the trailer was all it was. It being part of marvel is probably the only reason I didn't turn it off after 5 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

The 3rd episode was very good, big imrovement... almost Legion levels of nuts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Very first scene, doctor has stethoscope on and says "mmm" and there's laugh track then he says "yep, definitely pregnant" and more laughing.

There was anything funny about it but I think they're deliberately adding the track as I think its an idealised version of a comedy but not real.

Pretty much its because all sitcoms do this; add laugh tracks to the almost every utterance from the characters, no matter how pointless or unfunny. And its not a new thing for shows to make fun of this trope, I have to say "Simpsons did it!" decades ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Not feeling the love for this at all

The whole slapstick/comedy is putting me off - not something I would watch normally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭pah

Snotty wrote: »
    . It being part of marvel is probably the only reason I didn't turn it off after 5 minutes.

I don't get this argument. Isn't that the whole point? It's not aimed at an audience that don't know what the MCU is IMO. It's a marvel story with characters we know, leading to a larger setup in the MCU to come.

I'm enjoying the slow burn and the old sitcom callbacks etc The mystery is there and I'm looking forward to how it pans out. 30mins isn't much of a commitment either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,405 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

pah wrote: »
    I don't get this argument. Isn't that the whole point? It's not aimed at an audience that don't know what the MCU is IMO. It's a marvel story with characters we know, leading to a larger setup in the MCU to come.

I'm enjoying the slow burn and the old sitcom callbacks etc The mystery is there and I'm looking forward to how it pans out. 30mins isn't much of a commitment either.

Oddly I have very little interest in marvel, probably only saw 2/3 of the movies and whilst I found the first episode a bit of a slog there is an intrigue that has me interested. I enjoyed the third episode today and whilst I wouldn’t say it’s great or anything I’m very keen to see where it’s going.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Thought this episode was better. The sitcom part wasn't as poor as the first 2 episodes but still pretty bad. Seeing more of the real world and mystery side of things also helped a lot. I really like the bit near the end where the two neighbours changed to their sitcom personas instantly. The black guy (can't remember his name) goes from looking borderline terrified to happy and jovial in a flash. 'Catch you on the flipside, Vision'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭shawki

Snotty wrote: »
    we all seen the trailers and knew what it was, just didn't realize that the trailer was all it was.

But that’s not all it is, there’s 6 episodes left. The trailers actually show there’s a hell of lot more to the story than what they’ve showed so far.

This isn’t a throwaway series for casual viewing,
    its been confirmed that it’s going to have ramifications for the next Spider-Man and Dr. Strange

Advertisement