Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WandaVision - Disney+ (***Spoilers***)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭joficeduns1

I'm not so sure about a alternate timeline Vision. I think she has essentially re-animated Visions dead body. He clearly is able to think independently and has all of his usual powers (phasing, computational, speed, strength etc.) I think she has assisted in giving him life, but if her reality is destroyed he'll go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Penn wrote: »
    Watched new episode this morning. I'm still enjoying it anyway. I think it's a good mix of utter cheese with sinister overtones in how the veil is slowly being lifted (more in this episode too). Maybe people would have found it more palatable if they'd combined the first two episodes into a 45 minute episode and cut out a bit of the fluff, but I'm enjoying the slow burn of it too.

I don't believe cutting 25% off the first 2 episodes would change a thing for the people who are complaining and it would have rushed us getting to understand the world they are in. Covering their home life, work, and building the relationships with the neighbors in 45 minutes would be extremely rushed. I believe the same people would still feel it dragged and wouldn't be unless the sitcom element was for about the first 5 minutes and then never seen again.

In episode 3 we're already getting a level of payoff from how the characters are now acting compared to the baseline we saw in the first and second episodes. It was another step up on the previous two episodes, if it can maintain that progression then we'll have a great tail end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

The length is right for each episode it's the week long wait in between them that is killing it for me.
    Not because I'm used to binge watching, but there is no hook yet, I don't know or care for any character!

I have not being told any information yet, with a binge watch you get there quicker.

This show in isolation would you have watched past ep1 probably not.
    Def half way through ep 3 I was alright enough with the we are looking at a sitcom from the 50's, 60's,70's!!
    Give me meat now I need to start getting a little pay off.
    Which they threw with the "I was a twin line"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

There were a few "hooks" in ep 3...
    The neighbour cutting through the wall, the Vision rewind, the twins and "Ultron killed him" moment, "No one ever leaves", the scene with the two neighbours... "is Geraldine in there", and then Geraldine being evicted and we see the real world

Ep 3 ramped things up a notch. Odds are, ep 4 will continue to ramp it up.

Bacchus wrote: »
    There were a few "hooks" in ep 3...
    The neighbour cutting through the wall, the Vision rewind, the twins and "Ultron killed him" moment, "No one ever leaves", the scene with the two neighbours... "is Geraldine in there", and then Geraldine being evicted and we see the real world

Ep 3 ramped things up a notch. Odds are, ep 4 will continue to ramp it up.

Agree - to me those were all 'pay off' moments that wouldn't have meant nearly as much if they happened in episode 1, before we spent some time getting to know where they are and the new characters.

For proper pay off for each of those moments there is an argument that it could have needed an even slower burn for the show - like getting to know the neighbours for longer. However, given the vocal reactions of some here to the pace they're going at now they probably pushed the slow burn as much as they could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I have a theory ... Or at least half a theory. I'm going to spolier tag it.
    Herb was about to say something in episode 3 "she came here because we're all ...", I think they're all dead. The sign for the town looked old and not well looked after, I wonder if maybe a small town got destroyed during the final battled in Endgame. Wanda is the Avenger who has experienced the most personal trauma and so to see this small innocent town completely obliterated combined with her grief for Vision, she's recreated the town and the people. I'm not sure why Agnes would be trying to hide it, maybe she's afraid they'll die again. I think maybe SWORD think someone is doing to Wanda, has trapped her and they're trying to infiltrate to save her, not knowing she's doing it to herself.

Sorry but why do you need to spoiler a post for your own theory in a thread full of spoilers?

Spoiler tags are so annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

murpho999 wrote: »
    Sorry but why do you need to spoiler a post for your own theory in a thread full of spoilers?

Spoiler tags are so annoying.

Most of the spoilers you mention are for things that have already happened. I think anything that hasn't yet happened or is speculation should be spoilered as some people may only want to discuss episodes already aired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

I lost any interest in this show. I got Disney + for this and not going to renew it when the month comes up. I'm sure the second half of this show will pick up but I find this show a failure of storytelling.
    You can say all you want about slow-paced, but they're just dragging things out. They have gone out of their way to recreate these classic American sitcoms which mean next to nothing to most foreign and younger audiences. I haven't laughed once at any of the attempts at comedy and there no attempt at moving the main story forward.
    I worried about the Dinsey+ going down the Marvel Netflix route, but at least the Marvel Netflix would start strong and then hit the brakes in the middle, Wanda-Vision is still in the car park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Most of the spoilers you mention are for things that have already happened. I think anything that hasn't yet happened or is speculation should be spoilered as some people may only want to discuss episodes already aired.

I don't see the need to spoiler stuff that may never happen and people can scroll past what they don't want to read.

It makes page impossible to read on mobile devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I don't see the need to spoiler stuff that may never happen and people can scroll past what they don't want to read.

The only theories people should maybe tag is ones related to the comics which I imagine a lot here haven't read, regular out of the air theories based on what we've seen MCU wise is a bit more clear imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

So we've had 3 episodes of generational sitcoms....we get it.... there's a coma situation or somesuch...it's all very unnecessary & could turn many people off the series....it's not just androids that can cry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,351 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

jface187 wrote: »
    I lost any interest in this show. I got Disney + for this and not going to renew it when the month comes up. I'm sure the second half of this show will pick up but I find this show a failure of storytelling.
    You can say all you want about slow-paced, but they're just dragging things out. They have gone out of their way to recreate these classic American sitcoms which mean next to nothing to most foreign and younger audiences. I haven't laughed once at any of the attempts at comedy and there no attempt at moving the main story forward.
    I worried about the Dinsey+ going down the Marvel Netflix route, but at least the Marvel Netflix would start strong and then hit the brakes in the middle, Wanda-Vision is still in the car park.

Why didn't you wait until it was all up? :rolleyes:

I use the mobile site on my phone all the time and I've never found spoilers annoying. As I said some people may just want to discuss or read stuff about what has already happened, I'd rather make it easier for them to avoid stuff as it's something I myself appreciate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

Birneybau wrote: »
    Why didn't you wait until it was all up? :rolleyes:

Cause I wanted to watch week to week to avoid spoilers, but since clearly much isn't going to happen and the show will have dropped off the radar by the time things ramp up, I can just wait till Falcon & Winter Solider comes out and watch the rest of it then.

So we've had 3 episodes of generational sitcoms....we get it.... there's a coma situation or somesuch...it's all very unnecessary & could turn many people off the series....it's not just androids that can cry

How can building a world, the characters in it, and their relationships be deemed 'very unnecessary'?

In three 25 minute episodes Wanda has given birth to twins fathered by a dead android. We knew there were going to be 9 episodes so I'm not sure what pace people were expecting.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    How can building a world, the characters in it, and their relationships be deemed 'very unnecessary'?

Because when we are introduced to the real world when she awakes..all these characters either disappear...or they are incorporated into the real time scenario, as maybe hydra agents and fellow abductees.
    Something that could be done in 15 mins in 1 episode.
    As I alluded to a few days ago, its somebody's "oh look at me, aren't I clever" moment with the direction it's going...and I'm afraid it's just not working for me...
    Compare it to Jessica Jones & Daredevil..not even in the same ballpark re production, storyline, building and connecting characters....
    I am of course going to stick with it.. but at the moment it just seems to be all so unnecessary

Because when we are introduced to the real world when she awakes..all these characters either disappear...or they are incorporated into the real time scenario, as maybe hydra agents and fellow abductees.
    As I alluded to a few days ago, its somebody's "oh look at me, aren't I clever" moment with the direction it's going...and I'm afraid it's just not working for me...
    Compare it to Jessica Jones & Daredevil..not even in the same ballpark re production, storyline, building and connecting characters....
    I am of course going to stick with it.. but at the moment it just seems to be all so unnecessary

Jesus that would have been awful!! Where's the drama in that? Those kinds of reveals have to have a dramatic impact for the audience and the characters, there's literally no consequences at all if someone the audience and Wanda have known for 15 minutes turns out to be a hydra agent or a figment of her imagination. The show is literally building and connecting characters, something you claim to want and we don't know who will be left standing or what side they'll be on when this reality all comes crumbling down. The introduction to the real world has to mean something to the audience and the characters, there has to be stakes. This is a very different type of show to the Netflix shows but I'm actually at a loss as to how you could think the production is of a lower standard.

Jesus that would have been awful!! Where's the drama in that? Those kinds of reveals have to have a dramatic impact for the audience and the characters, there's literally no consequences at all if someone the audience and Wanda have known for 15 minutes turns out to be a hydra agent or a figment of her imagination. The show is literally building and connecting characters, something you claim to want and we don't know who will be left standing or what side they'll be on when this reality all comes crumbling down. The introduction to the real world has to mean something to the audience and the characters, there has to be stakes. This is a very different type of show to the Netflix shows but I'm actually at a loss as to how you could think the production is of a lower standard.

Well we are still guessing as to what the big reveal will be...there's actually no guarantee that any of these people will play any part in the final reveal after the 80's and 90's episodes.
    And if anyone is being honest, it's obvious the production so far is of a lower standard...it's not even close.
    But as I said, I will stick with it... only in the hopes that the show will finally redeem itself in the second half

You're entitled to your opinion but I have seen more character, relationships, and worldbuilding in a single episode of children's cartoons than what you are asking for.

I'm really happy they haven't gone your direction as not only do I believe it would be absolutely rubbish, it would have made the whole dream/sitcom piece completely pointless. From what we've seen so far, the investment we're making in the dream scenes have direct real world consequences, something that is normally lacking from these and drives me crazy about them.

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »

I'm really happy they haven't gone your direction as not only do I believe it would be absolutely rubbish, it would have made the whole dream/sitcom piece completely pointless..

The very fact that my direction would not include any dream sequence whatsoever seems to have escaped you
    I could maybe have taken 15 mins to set a tone for forthcoming episodes... but that would have been more than sufficient

The very fact that my direction would not include any dream sequence whatsoever seems to have escaped you
    I could maybe have taken 15 mins to set a tone for forthcoming episodes... but that would have been more than sufficient

That hasn't escaped me at all. In this thread I've repeatedly stated that though I'm not a fan dream sequences, nearly every minute of the entire MCU and nearly every minute that is lined up for the future is in the 'real world', so I'm open to them trying something different here. It isn't like they snuck it in, it was advertised heavily.

To me the worst thing would be for them to completely half ass the dream scenes and do them for part of an episode or two and it all just be some nod to her mental state or to set 'a tone' and have zero 'real world' impacts. Time we're investing in the dream scenes look to actually mean something, I'm definitely coming around to it more as the episodes go on.

Well we are still guessing as to what the big reveal will be...there's actually no guarantee that any of these people will play any part in the final reveal after the 80's and 90's episodes.
    And if anyone is being honest, it's obvious the production so far is of a lower standard...it's not even close.
    But as I said, I will stick with it... only in the hopes that the show will finally redeem itself in the second half

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the production is of a lower standard but I feel I should point out that the show is aiming for the production values of the sitcoms it is mimicking, so the sets are studio sets as they would be for a multicam sitcom and the outdoor scenes are shot deliberately on a back lot. In the last episode I think they were in a studio with painted backgrounds, again this isn't bad production, if anything it's the opposite, they're just committing to a format which would not usually have high production standards. The costumes and hair has been spot on too and it's changing from episode to episode, even the layout of the house has changed three times now to match the era. Personallly I think the production is amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

I think it comes down to plot vs characters. Vision was used sparingly in her movies. Wanda a bigger role, but their romance in endgame was very much a "oh they've been dating for ages now". Its nice to actually get to know the characters a bit more, particularly for those who don't get their own film.

If you want the mystery box opened and the problem solved, I understand why you might be frustrated with the show. Me, I'm enjoying the characters. I didn't know vis was a family man, that he could gum up his parts, that he is not as slick as iron man with distraction. Similarly I didn't know Wanda was so maternal, how much she wanted to fit in, how deeply pietros death affected her. I have an idea of this now.

I like breaking bad, but Jesus it was slow. But it meant we got to realise skyler was a bitch, Walts slow turn, and that he had the capacity for great evil. That's what the show is trying to do. I like it. Means at the end myself and the wife actually discuss the show.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Smacruairi wrote: »
    I think it comes down to plot vs characters. Vision was used sparingly in her movies. Wanda a bigger role, but their romance in endgame was very much a "oh they've been dating for ages now". Its nice to actually get to know the characters a bit more, particularly for those who don't get their own film.

If you want the mystery box opened and the problem solved, I understand why you might be frustrated with the show. Me, I'm enjoying the characters. I didn't know vis was a family man, that he could gum up his parts, that he is not as slick as iron man with distraction. Similarly I didn't know Wanda was so maternal, how much she wanted to fit in, how deeply pietros death affected her. I have an idea of this now.

I like breaking bad, but Jesus it was slow. But it meant we got to realise skyler was a bitch, Walts slow turn, and that he had the capacity for great evil. That's what the show is trying to do. I like it. Means at the end myself and the wife actually discuss the show.

This really shouldn't be compared to Breaking Bad. Breaking Bad was slow at times but it was amazing. I actually don't think Wandavision is slow. The pace is decent and it is revealing more about the mystery in each episode. However, it is also not amazing. Quite the opposite, so far it has mostly been rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

This really shouldn't be compared to Breaking Bad. Breaking Bad was slow at times but it was amazing. I actually don't think Wandavision is slow. The pace is decent and it is revealing more about the mystery in each episode. However, it is also not amazing. Quite the opposite, so far it has mostly been rubbish.

The comparison to breaking bad was for those who want to truncate the series. How many shots of Walter Jr eating breakfast did we need. Patience was my point. And no, this isn't prestige TV, but I still think its rather good. But different opinions are OK. (unless it's about star trek discovery, which is muck)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Smacruairi wrote: »
    The comparison to breaking bad was for those who want to truncate the series. How many shots of Walter Jr eating breakfast did we need. Patience was my point. And no, this isn't prestige TV, but I still think its rather good. But different opinions are OK. (unless it's about star trek discovery, which is muck)

Please don't insult muck like that. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭joficeduns1

Agree on the production quality being exactly what it needs to be. The authenticity for the "period" sets is tribute to the time they're representing. The budget for WV is $150m if I remember correct. So far I'd say we've seen a very small fraction, with the later episodes ramping up in sets, CGI, and action sequences.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I haven't seen a single episode of the show, yet this thread has been kinda fascinating to read for the back & forth. A "divisive" show by the looks of things but nice to see Marvel at least know how to make something a bit off their beaten track all the same ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

They have some previews for tomorrow's episode on youtube so I'd say it will definitely pick up the pace tomorrow

Advertisement