Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Linux computer build

Options
  • 01-01-2020 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I have been away from the computer building and upgrading scene for a while now and I know things have moved on so would like your opinion on my selection below and whether or not you would change any items (or at least highlight any incompatibilities or issues).

1. What is your budget?
    €800-900

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?
    All of the below but never running at the same time as will depend on current focus:
    • Running virtual environments (might have two VMs running at same time as host machine)
    • Development/coding
    • Image editing (low-mid level)
    • Some mid-level gaming

3. Do you need a copy of Windows?
    No, I will be using Linux

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.]
    I will re-use some large HDD drives but will need a new SSD for the OS

5. Do you need a monitor?
    No

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    N/A

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]
    No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking?
    Not too interested as stock should give me enough performance for what I need

8. How can you pay?
    Debit card or Paypal

9. When are you purchasing?
    Sometime in next week or two

10. If you need help building it, where are you based?
    N/A

My Initial thoughts are below. Not completely sure who will be the vendor will be but recommendations are welcome.

Case
    €60
    Unsure but will pick up some mid-tower ATX case

PSU
    €100
    Cosair RM750 PSU

Mobo
    €100
    MSI B360M Bazooka
    7.1 Audio | 1x M2 Slot | Socket 1151v2 | Max 64GB RAM | DDR4 SD RAM DIMM | Intel B360 Chipset

CPU
    €220
    Intel Core i5-8400
    2.8-4.0Ghz | 6 core | Socket 1151 v2

GPU
    €185
    MSI Radeon RX 570 ARMOR OC
    1268 MHz clock speed | 4 GB GDDR5 RAM | 3x DisplayPort, 1x HDMI, 1x DVI-D | PCIE x16 3.0

RAM
    €100
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
    PC4-21300 - DIMM | DDR4 | 2666 MHz Clock Speed

SSD
    €65
    Kingston A400
    480GB

OS
    €0
    Linux

DVD