Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachers wages

Options
  • 01-01-2020 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Does anyone know why we were paid extra today?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Glashabui wrote: »

What extra money? Ssh. Don’t tell too many. They might want it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Glashabui

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    What extra money? Ssh. Don’t tell too many. They might want it back.

Quite a few teachers I know including myself got extra in our pay yesterday. I don’t know if it’s just those who entered teaching after 2012 or not. I wasn’t expecting any change in pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

Slight change in Additional Superannuation Contribution (pension levy) rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

In addition to the ASC changes:

1) A persons Cut Off / Tax Credits may have increased as well.

2) There were also changes as part of the stability agreement which saw from 1 January 2020 annualised salaries up to €32,000 increase by 0.5%.

Note: Some public sector employers may not have uplifted these yet and OP may be earning > threshold so may not be applicable but mentioning as another viable reason that may be.

Source: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/432f22-public-service-stability-agreement-2018-2020/

Do teachers get paid in advance?

• Advertisement

Oh I see. Thank you for that. I haven’t received my payslip yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Do teachers get paid in advance?

No my pay was from Tuesday 17th December-Monday 30th December.

Millem wrote: »
    No my pay was from Tuesday 17th December-Monday 30th December.

Exactly and that’s why it makes no sense to me. If this pay was from Jan 1 I would understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

My pay was up 6 euro
    Colleague’s was down 200 !!!!

km79 wrote: »
    My pay was up 6 euro
    Colleague’s was down 200 !!!!

I was up €5something.
    Does it have something to do with the fact there are more than 26 pay periods per year? Can’t remember the figure exactly 26.something so maybe it is to do with tax credits or bands left over?

• Advertisement

Millem wrote: »
    I was up €5something.
    Does it have something to do with the fact there are more than 26 pay periods per year? Can’t remember the figure exactly 26.something so maybe it is to do with tax credits or bands left over?

I was up €37 after tax and a colleague was up €45.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

Best guess - and it is a guess.

As you probably know, all employers were forwarding info on pay and deductions on a rolling basis to Revenue from 1st January 2019 onwards. Minor discrepancies (overpayments, underpayments of tax) can creep in for any number of reasons and perhaps the increase was a reconciliation exercise to balance the books at year end.

I was up €37 after tax and a colleague was up €45.

Nice one!
    I took some parental leave so I was paid 13 days not 14 days!

Advertisement