Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Satellite Broadband Opinions

• 01-01-2020 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Just looking to get any thoughts or opinions on satellite broadband from anybody who has experience with it. I am in a rural area where I can get around 3mb through fixed line. Trying to figure out if I should wait for fibre (in 2050, probably) or is satellite or other worth a shot.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Neilinhio wrote: »
    Just looking to get any thoughts or opinions on satellite broadband from anybody who has experience with it. I am in a rural area where I can get around 3mb through fixed line. Trying to figure out if I should wait for fibre (in 2050, probably) or is satellite or other worth a shot.

Are any fixed wireless providers available in your area?
    That would be a better bet than satellite which will be painfully slow.

Imagine, disgiweb, ripplecom etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

What part of the country are you in ?

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Neilinhio

Are any fixed wireless providers available in your area?
    That would be a better bet than satellite which will be painfully slow.

Imagine, disgiweb, ripplecom etc.

I had never checked ripplecom but it seems they may have coverage in the area. Imagine and DigiWeb are not an option. There is another local provider of a similar service but I am not sure about the coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Neilinhio

Marlow wrote: »
    What part of the country are you in ?

/M

I am in Waterford.

Neilinhio wrote: »
    I am in Waterford.

Total Broadband cover Waterford with fixed wireless. Not sure, what they are offering, but worth checking out.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

anything is better than Satellite. Only go with Satellite if there is really is nothing else in your area such as wireless or mobile internet. Your 3meg fixed line is probably better than satellite which has an immense response time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Sorry for pulling this up.....

I have mobile BB at the moment, getting about 7-10mb at most. I was looking at satelitte which says circa 21mb. Just reading commetns and do people have a poor experience>

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Sorry for pulling this up.....

I have mobile BB at the moment, getting about 7-10mb at most. I was looking at satelitte which says circa 21mb. Just reading commetns and do people have a poor experience>

Satellite broadband is crummy and last resort at all.

However, a lot of people mistake fixed wireless broadband for satellite broadband. Fixed wireless works well, when done right.

So the first thing you need to do, is to find out, what you're actually trying to buy.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Marlow wrote: »
    Satellite broadband is crummy and last resort at all.

However, a lot of people mistake fixed wireless broadband for satellite broadband. Fixed wireless works well, when done right.

So the first thing you need to do, is to find out, what you're actually trying to buy.

/M

This is what I was looking at

https://bigblu.ie/

Multiple different companies all seem to be selling the same thing

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    This is what I was looking at

https://bigblu.ie/

Multiple different companies all seem to be selling the same thing

That is in fact satellite broadband. It should be your absolute last choice.

The speeds look ok, but the ping times will be brutal. That means anything realtime/streaming is going to be either iffy or not working. That's Youtube, Netflix, VoIP, Gaming and various other things not working right or not working at all.

/M

• Advertisement
Advertisement