Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health & Diet warning

• 02-01-2020 9:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

If you went to a doctor and you were sick. And they said there was a drug that works in 5% of people and in 95% of people the symptoms would be worse in two years. And of the 5% 50% of those would have some sort of disorder. Would you take it.

They are the statistics for dieting. Please please don't do it. I have of course tried and they've all 'worked' at the start and I've gained it all back and more. I am a typical person.

Three years ago I said this is the year I'm doing it for once and for all. So I googled why weight loss doesn't work and tried to figure out why it wasn't working for me. I'm a successful person and am usually able to achieve my goals .

Anyway I can across intuitive eating which is basically anti diet. It's the best thing ever. I haven't weighted myself in years I eat guilt free, I no longer binge, no longer eat in secret ad my cholesterol is down. I am happier as a result.

Please check it out and stick with it, it's a total shift in mindset from what we've grown up with in diet culture.

I know I'm going to get loads of counter arguments here that's I've done this that and it worked all I'm saying is give it 2-5 years. Well done to anyone who has been successful by the way I wish it worked for more people.

Best of luck and happy New Year

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭Esse85

People regain weight because over time they stop doing the actions that led them to lose weight in the first place.

You sound like your burying your head in the sand by not measuring yourself anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Clockpics

Esse85 wrote: »
    People regain weight because over time they stop doing the actions that led them to lose weight in the first place.

You sound like your burying your head in the sand by not measuring yourself anymore.

I have never been overweight just a but chubby. The scales is demotivating as your weight naturally fluctuation.

I'm in no way burying my head in the sand. I have accepted I won't be stick insect and I am healthier as a result. I used binge eat sometimes purge. I now longer do either sounds like a better outcome to me.

Please look it up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Losing weight is individual. There's no one size fits all. If a diet didn't work, is because it wasn't sustainable (for you) changes to your diet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Diet culture is bad.
    If you're overweight and start dieting and exercise, you can lose 5kg in a week. Then 2kg the following week. Then .5kg the following week.. and the simplest way to see the needle on the scales going town is apparently to eat fewer and fewer calories. After a few months, your clothes will fit you better and you'll get more compliments. You may begin to feel stress or anxiety, you'll probably be malnourished, and you'll have an unhealthy attitude towards food and weight.

Eating healthy, working out and exercising self control is common sense.

Dieting for weightloss is a mug's game if you're not eating well and doing some exercise.

To lose weight, it is calories in v calories out. There is no reason for a calorie deficit to be unhealthy, lead to undernourishment or an unhealthy relationship with food. On the contrary, calorie counting makes it very obvious that less processed food is less calorific more often than not (only nuts and seeds, and breads with higher seed content, that are more calorific than alternative options).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Clockpics

Macy0161 wrote: »
    To lose weight, it is calories in v calories out. There is no reason for a calorie deficit to be unhealthy, lead to undernourishment or an unhealthy relationship with food. On the contrary, calorie counting makes it very obvious that less processed food is less calorific more often than not (only nuts and seeds, and breads with higher seed content, that are more calorific than alternative options).

Yes this is true I'm not denying it. But my point is it doesn't work just look at the statistics. Humans view withholding food as starvation and they then overeat at some point when their animal brain takes over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Clockpics wrote: »
    Yes this is true I'm not denying it. But my point is it doesn't work just look at the statistics. Humans view withholding food as starvation and they then overeat at some point when their animal brain takes over.

That's because they haven't changed habit or tried to address food quality as well as quantity. There are diets and there is changing your diet. The word 'diet' isn't the one thing.

Macy counted calories and doubtlessly improved food quality.

But there absolutely are people that will do The **** Diet and have great results in the X weeks but because it's not a long term change, they slip back into old ways and put that weight back on.

There are many ways to skin a cat in a sustainable way that sees weight come off and stay off. Some people go low carb or ketogenic, some count calories, some do intermittent fasting or tine restricted eating etc etc. They're all effectively the same insofar as they create a calorie deficit but different ways work for different people in the longer term and don't feel like a 'diet'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Everybody is on a diet, a few years ago MY diet was sh1t, no breakfast, too many visits to the chipper, to many pizza's being delivered, too many chocolate chip cookies, crisps etc etc, I was 86kg

So I stopped that in January 2016 & replaced MY above diet with MY new diet of porridge/shredded wheat, fruits & natural yoghurt & honey, good quality meat & vegetables, & used a bit of common sense as regards portion size,, this morning I was 68.2kg, took me 9-12 months to get to 70kg, weight has been stable for a couple of years now, since December 2016

Cut out the crap stuff (you know what they are), cut out the sugar, stay out of the Chipper/Chinese/Pizza hut & eat more salad,

It's not that complicated really, I made poor food choices over a number of years, now I make better ones, still enjoy a pizza & an Indian from time to time but more as a treat not a daily occurrence, you just really need to develop different eating habits & make better food choices & not go hungry, absolutely no need to be hungry at all.

Male 5'8"

I'd always be very clear that what works is very individual. I couldn't do IF, as I get to hangry, and I'm not convinced by the scientific back up of the other claimed benefits (yet - some are interesting, just don't have the evidence). I couldn't do low carb, as I like carbs and I train so need the fuel - but mainly because I like carbs.

The mindset of moving away from it being a diet, to a change of diet is why people fall down. It has to be sustainable (and in my experience) that means gradual changes rather than a big bang, not excluding foods or food groups you enjoy to eat, everything in moderation.

I see it in work, people going from a breakfast roll to a fruit salad for a few weeks, and then they fall off the wagon - they could've gone scrambled eggs on wholemeal toast with rasher medallions and still cut a substantial amount of calories without going so extreme straight away.

My diet is nothing like it was when I started, or even a year ago. I'm always trying new foods, or options, looking at improving my nutrition and food quality. But I still enjoy my tea and toast in the evening, my weekend beer and crisps night, my pudding after our Sunday roast, I'm really enjoying my daughters home baking! For me, I eat it, track it, move on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,127 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Clockpics wrote: »

The statistics are uneven because of what people consider a 'diet' to be, which may include just losing a few pounds in advance of a holiday or event, and then putting those few pounds back on after.

Either way, as others have said, what people who want and need to lose a decent amount of weight need to focus on is changing their food intake long-term and not thinking of it just as a diet (ie. clean eating until you hit a goal and then revert back to your previous eating habits) but rather changing those habits and making better, more sustainable choices for the future. The diet doesn't fail, it's people returning to the bad habits/foods that made them overweight in the first place that causes them to put back on the weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Just because you failed in your attempts doesn't mean that it won't work for other people, and you don't need to come on here to "warn" people in what is really an attempt to justify your failure to achieve your own goals. Plenty of us have been able to achieve our goals, and we are here to help others on their way to achieving their goals.

Advertisement