Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies greatest song of the 80s - Live Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

R2/Match 13
    Communards - Don’t Leave Me This Way – prefer this song

R2/Match 14
    The Police - Dont Stand So Close To Me – Love The Police, great song

R2/Match 15
    They Might Be Giants - Birdhouse in Your Soul. Love TMBG even before this song made them better known.

R2/Match 16
    The Bangles - Manic Monday. Manic Monday was a good song, and anything is better than that Cher song!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

According to my calculations, one is left to fill.

I vote for The Police's Don't Stand So Close to Me. Catchy. The other one by Aha is just alright .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

According to my calculations, one is left to fill.

I vote for The Police's Don't Stand So Close to Me. Catchy. The other none is just alright by Aha.

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

R2/Match 13 Eurthymics - Sweet Dreams
    R2/Match 14 The Police - Dont Stand So Close To Me
    R2/Match 15 They Might Be Giants - Birdhouse in Your Soul
    R2/Match 16 The Bangles - Manic Monday

quickbeam wrote: »
    R2/Match 13 Eurthymics - Sweet Dreams
    R2/Match 14 The Police - Dont Stand So Close To Me
    R2/Match 15 They Might Be Giants - Birdhouse in Your Soul
    R2/Match 16 The Bangles - Manic Monday

You're in luck. All of the songs have already been decided and they happen to be the ones you wanted to vote for!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I vote for The Police's Don't Stand So Close to Me. Catchy. The other one by Aha is just alright .

YESSSSSSSSSSSS

• Registered Users Posts: 21,906 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Necro wrote: »
    YESSSSSSSSSSSS

:(

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Eurthymics - Sweet Dreams 6 Communards - Don’t Leave Me This Way
    The Police - Dont Stand So Close To Me 6 5 A Ha - The Sun Always Shines on TV
    They Might Be Giants - Birdhouse in Your Soul 6 2 Queen - A Kind Of Magic
    Cher - Turn Back Time 4 6 The Bangles - Manic Monday

Will be back later with more, taking a break for awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

YESSSSSSSSSSSS

I don't get the A-Ha hate. The two songs of theirs that are in the competition couldn't sound any further apart from each other. As far as pop bands go, I've always thought that they're really creative and under-rated and the vast difference between those two songs outline that.

The Sun Always Shines On TV is up there with their best imo - fantastic production - a proper wall of sound. To each their own guess!

I don't get the A-Ha hate. The two songs of theirs that are in the competition couldn't sound any further apart from each other. As far as pop bands go, I've always thought that they're really creative and under-rated and the vast difference between those two songs outline that.

The Sun Always Shines On TV is up there with their best imo - fantastic production - a proper wall of sound. To each their own guess!

Hear, Hear! Well said.

• Advertisement

I'm not one of the people who hate Aha. However, I grew tired of both this song and Take On Me. They have had much better songs in my opinion. I like Hunting High and Low, I've Been Losing You, You are the One, The Living Daylights and Stay on These Roads, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I'm not one of the people who hate Aha. However, I grew tired of both this song and Take On Me. They have had much better songs in my opinion. I like Hunting High and Low, I've Been Losing You, You are the One, The Living Daylights and Stay on These Roads, for example.

To be fair most songs on the list are bands biggest hits and that's not much different for A-ha.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,298 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I don't get the A-Ha hate. The two songs of theirs that are in the competition couldn't sound any further apart from each other.

Funny, to me both songs just sound like typical 80s synth-pop, most of which I couldn't stand. I don't dislike A-ha any more than I dislike The Human League or Erasure, for example, but I'd always vote against them if they were up against something I prefer. If they were up against each other I'd abstain.

Zaph wrote: »
    Funny, to me both songs just sound like typical 80s synth-pop, most of which I couldn't stand. I don't dislike A-ha any more than I dislike The Human League or Erasure, for example, but I'd always vote against them if they were up against something I prefer. If they were up against each other I'd abstain.

It would be interesting if The Human League were up against Heaven 17. The latter was formed by two of the original members of The Human League!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Sweet Dreams - I remember playing it on my brother's Now That What's I Call Music (the original one) vinyl

Don't Stand So Close To Me - not the best from the Police, but a good one all the same

Birdhouse In Your Soul - catchy

Manic Monday - classic jangly pop

It would be interesting if The Human League were up against Heaven 17. The latter was formed by two of the original members of The Human League!

I never knew that. That said, unless it was Temptation, which I think is an excellent song, that would be another one of those match-ups that I'd abstain from as I wouldn't have been a fan of Heaven 17 either.

I really only know those two A-ha songs and they're grand, not my favourite 80's songs but far worse out there. I prefer The Sun Always Shines on TV over Take On Me given a straight up choice between the two. Wouldn't pick either to win this competition but would easily take either/or any day over some of the other songs left (Bryan Adams, Bon Jovi, The Police being the main offenders coming to mind).

I never knew that. That said, unless it was Temptation, which I think is an excellent song, that would be another one of those match-ups that I'd abstain from as I wouldn't have been a fan of Heaven 17 either.

The Human League were quite a different sounding band when they first started - much more experimental under the influence of Martyn Ware and Ian Craig Marsh. They fell out with vocalist Phil Oakey. The original lineup appeared on some programme, possibly Tomorrow's World, and they had one appearance on Top of the Pops in 1980, when they were in the Top 60! Later that same year, The Human League had their breakthrough hit Sound of the Crowd with Phil Oakey, his mate from the previous lineup Philip Adrian Wright, a new musician and the two new female vocalists. Martyn and Ian formed Heaven 17 with the help of vocalist Glenn Gregory. As time went in, Heaven 17 evolved into a soulful synth band.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

I think I know what you mean - certainly bands that used synths will sound of that time and that's fair enough if it's just not your thing.

That doesn't mean that those bands weren't creative though and I don't for a moment think that their output sounds alike or is derivative.

Plus I really can't think of another song from the 80's that sounds like The Sun Always Shines On TV.

I think I've made a decent argument for TSASOTV's re-inclusion on a wild card.

Kolido make it so! :D

Necro explodes

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

How are ye nearly finished another round already

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Sure, but Take On Me loses its slot, everyone is happy then :P

I think I know what you mean - certainly bands that used synths will sound of that time and that's fair enough if it's just not your thing.

That doesn't mean that those bands weren't creative though and I don't for a moment think that their output sounds alike or is derivative.

Plus I really can't think of another song from the 80's that sounds like The Sun Always Shines On TV.

Necro explodes

I would second that

Necro explodes

I would prefer a wildcard of Aha's The Living Daylight, Stay on These Roads, Hunting High and Low, You are The One or I've Been Losing You!

Necro explodes

Well, if Another Brick In The Wall gets disqualified then I guess we now know what's gonna take its place. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,552 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Sure, but Take On Me loses its slot, everyone is happy then :P

Ahhh.........No!

Necro explodes
    Well, if Another Brick In The Wall gets disqualified then I guess we now know what's gonna take its place. :p

If Aha are to be added as a wildcard, a "neutral" song should be chosen!

giphy.gif

Just in. Is there any matches still to reach 6 votes?

I think I’ve lost a few today :(

Will continue shortly

• Advertisement

R2/Match 17

Wang Chung - Dance Hall Days

vs       

Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight

R2/Match 18

Queen - I Want to Break Free

vs