Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies greatest song of the 80s - Live Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,296 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Match 1 - Blondie - Call Me. Love Blondie, they had some of the best singles of the 80s.

Match 2 - Bon Jovi - Livin on a Prayer. No real love for Bon Jovi, but if I had to choose one of their songs this would be it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Kolido wrote:
    Bon Jovi - You Give Love (A Bad Name) vs Blondie - Call Me

Bon Jovi. Not gone on this Blondie song at all.

Kolido wrote:
    Bon Jovi - Livin on a Prayer vs Eurthymics - Sweet Dreams

Bon Jovi, probably my fave 80s song.

Sweet Dreams is great, Livin on a Prayer is greater for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Call me - love Blondie
    Bon Jovi - I prefer the other BJ song

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

sKeith wrote:
    Bon Jovi Bon Jovi

Green&Red wrote:
    Call me Bon Jovi

Need reasons this round you two Yahoo's!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

sKeith wrote: »
    Bon Jovi
    Bon Jovi

A reason for each please sK, anything related at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

R4/Match 1

Bon Jovi - You Give Love (A Bad Name) Blondie - Call Me - great memories of Blondie breaking onto the scene, pop that had a bit of an edge, more punk than cheese

R4/Match 2

Bon Jovi - Livin on a Prayer vs Eurthymics - Sweet Dreams - one of the breakthrough synth-pop moments, with Annie's striking androgynous look

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Kolido wrote:
    Bon Jovi - You Give Love (A Bad Name) vs Blondie - Call Me
    Blondie, neither this or you give love a bad name are the best from their respective bands but Call me has a superior energy, and sound I don't think I could get sick of it
    Kolido wrote:
    Bon Jovi - Livin on a Prayer vs Eurthymics - Sweet Dreams
    Sweet Dreams, it sounds like the 80's man! That intro, and Annie Lennox's voice are pure quality

Blondie - call me, a far superior song, fantastic voice, & Bon Jovi are muck

Eurythmics- Sweet dreams, not crazy about this song, but, as above, her voice is fantastic, & Bon Jovi are muck

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Eurythmics. Annie Lennox is amazing, great riff, and the Bon Jovi song isn't even the best Bon Jovi left in the competition.

Blondie. Brilliantly catchy, though I wouldn't be devastated if this Bon Jovi made it through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Kolido wrote: »
    A reason for each please sK, anything related at all.

bon jovi, you give love a bad name is such a classic song.

bon jovi, this song is just brillaint, even the weird al living in a fridge is great.

• Advertisement

Bon Jovi - You Give Love (A Bad Name) 2 10 Blondie - Call Me
    Bon Jovi - Livin on a Prayer 6 7 Eurthymics - Sweet Dreams

R4/Match 3

Billy Idol - White Wedding
    vs
    Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In The Dark

R4/Match 4

Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of The Heart
    vs
    Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy

Kolido wrote:
    Billy Idol - White Wedding vs Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In The Dark

BRUCE! Cos hes a rock GOD
    Kolido wrote:
    Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of The Heart vs Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy

Bonnie Tyler. How Bronski Beat has gotten this far is beyond me its painful to listen to.

Also cos Bonnie Tyler is my pick

I don't have headphones with me so can't relisten to White Wedding to help me to decide, so I'll abstain from the first match.

Bonnie Tyler's amazing voice easily wins the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

My Votes:
    Billy Idol - White Wedding - catchy new wave tune with a sneer. Dancing in the Dark is nice, but can't quite compete.
    Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy - classic haunting synth-based pop tune with great vocals. The other song is just an abomination!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,296 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Match 3 - Bruce Springsteen - Dancing in the Dark. Not his best, but at the end of the day it's still The Boss.

Match 4 - No opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

White Wedding - shame it's up against such a big hit because I think White Wedding is probably the best song left in the comp and I want to see it progress.

Total Eclipse of the Heart - it's just epic '80s pop ballady stuff, so easy vote for me here.

#3 - Both great songs worthy of their place here but Bruce is a bit of a legend (even though I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan) and Dancing in the Dark is a fab feel good tune with a tinge of melancholy in the lyrics, so I'm voting for Dancing in the Dark.

#4 - This choice mostly comes down to the vocals - as much as I respect Smalltown Boy (good tune, great lyrics, heartfelt video) I just can't get on board with Jimmy Sommerville's falsetto. Whereas Bonnie Tyler's epic croak is an icon of power balladry*. My vote is for Total Eclipse of the Heart.

*may note be a real word

Oh wait - Dancing in the Dark for Courtney Cox. Why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

2. Sweet Dreams - That synth and those vocals.
    3. Dancing in the Dark - Bruce beats Billy nine times out of ten for me
    4. Smalltown Boy Again, synth beats big hair for me every time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

white wedding - If there were 3 shovels leaning against a wall, and I was told to take my pick, i'd choose white wedding.

Total eclipse of the heart - when i first heard this song I went down a rabbit hole and read up all about total elclipses and where and when they can be seen on earth, fascinating stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,416 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

R4/Match 3
    Billy Idol - White Wedding
    My pick and a brilliant song

R4/Match 4
    Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of The Heart
    Bonnie's husky voice

Billy Idol - White Wedding have loved Billy Idol since i was very young, & although I do like Bruce, I think he has better songs than this one

Bonnie Tyler - Total eclipse of the heart, an absolute classic, love her voice, love that she sounds totally different when she talks! also, cant stand Jimmy Sommervilles voice, grates on me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

R4/Match 3 Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In The Dark
    Because he's The Boss!

R4/Match 4 Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy
    Not pushed on either, but this is the song I'd like to listen to more of the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

R4/Match 3
    Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In The Dark - Big fan of the Boss, really got into him around the time this song came out.

R4/Match 4
    Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy - Prefer this song and i always liked the video for it.

Bon Jovi - You Give Love (A Bad Name) 2 10 Blondie - Call Me
    Bon Jovi - Livin on a Prayer 6 8 Eurthymics - Sweet Dreams
    Billy Idol - White Wedding 5 7 Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In The Dark
    Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of The Heart 7 4 Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy

R4/Match 5

Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes
    vs
    The Clash - Should I Stay Or Should I Go

R4/Match 6

Ultravox - Vienna
    vs
    Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart

#5 - Bette Davis Eyes
    That unmistakable synth plus Kim Carnes's gorgeous husky voice equals '80's pop perfection.

#6 - Love Will Tear Us Apart
    One of the best anti-love songs of all time. Gloomy but beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Billy Idol - White Wedding - beacuse I love the Wedding Singer and Billy Idol appears in the end of the film
    Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy - such a powerful song and video too (don't mind if Bonnie wins either, two great 80s tunes).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Bette Davis Eyes - such a tough choice as these two are both final worthy, but I listen to Bette Davis Eyes all the time and it never gets old or stale no matter how many times I hear it.

Love Will Tear Us Apart - it's a great song and the one I would actually listen to given the choice, and its not that I think Vienna is bad, it just still doesn't do anything for me.

Advertisement