Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

35 off 13 in first comp this year. Was playing well and hoping for a cut. Poor putting including 4 three putts (long ones to be fair) put an end to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

What you say is absolutely true. If I was 50 metres off a green and ended up leaving myself a nasty putt I'd mark it as a dropped shot from the pitch. Whereas if I was on the long index 1 into the wind in two and left myself a length of the green putt, if I ended up with a bogey I wouldn't mark it as any shots dropped.

Often the cause of the problem is not at the end point. So you might have someone taking an above average number of putts. But it could be because they keep hitting greens in regulation, compared to the person who misses them and has loads of up and downs. Or if you're missing the greens in regulation, maybe you're drives are inaccurate and you're hitting in from the rough or maybe they're short and you're hitting in with long irons / woods.

It's like the hurling team that leaks too many goals. Invariably the full back gets blamed. But maybe the rest of the defence leaves him far too exposed. Or maybe the problem is the ball comes back down from the forwards too easily.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

My 3 putting has been cut down massively by my improved approach play. Anything within 120 yards, and i'd pe pretty confident of getting it close enough to 2 putt at max. It still happens, but the amount it happens has been cut down quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Yes i agree with all the above. I play off 12 for a reason but some people look at my game and I get a lot of comments saying you are better than that etc. etc. I reckon not being a great putter over the years has about a 4 shot impact on my handicap. I'm told regularly by someone who sees an awful lot of high level golf that I'm the best 12 handicapper in the world. A nice compliment but I'd much rather be an average 6 handicapper :D

Yesterday 2 out of my 5 3putts were from different postcodes. I hit both them on good lines, just not hard enough. I should have done better.
    The other 3 were bad 3 putts.... I hit one of them way to soft and the other 2 way to hard, both on good lines though.

The 4putt was uphill from about 25 foot and I burst it maybe 10 foot past, the one back was not downhill enough that i shouldn't of gotten it close, it probably went 5-6 foot past and then I missed that!

So I look at it as 7 opportunities missed. Yes 2 of them were probably harder chances of getting down in 2, but I still should have done better with them.
    I look at it as somewhere that I can improve my score. I'm not expecting to putt like the best pros, but if you think about it, it is a lot easier to hit putts like Tiger Woods than to hit some of the other shots he pulls/ed off.

Actually I wasn't that disappointed with my putting yesterday. Recently I have been disastrous, I was pushing and pulling the putts soooooo bad it wasn't funny. But I have started to control that. Judging distance has always been one of my better putting skills, but we all have days where we just cant get the pace right. I had one yesterday. I pretty much hit all my putts yesterday on good lines, some very close to dropping. Much more important for me at the moment is not to be hitting a line 6 foot wide!

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Seve OB wrote: »
    Yes i agree with all the above. I play off 12 for a reason but some people look at my game and I get a lot of comments saying you are better than that etc. etc. I reckon not being a great putter over the years has about a 4 shot impact on my handicap. I'm told regularly by someone who sees an awful lot of high level golf that I'm the best 12 handicapper in the world. A nice compliment but I'd much rather be an average 6 handicapper :D

Yesterday 2 out of my 5 3putts were from different postcodes. I hit both them on good lines, just not hard enough. I should have done better.
    The other 3 were bad 3 putts.... I hit one of them way to soft and the other 2 way to hard, both on good lines though.

The 4putt was uphill from about 25 foot and I burst it maybe 10 foot past, the one back was not downhill enough that i shouldn't of gotten it close, it probably went 5-6 foot past and then I missed that!

So I look at it as 7 opportunities missed. Yes 2 of them were probably harder chances of getting down in 2, but I still should have done better with them.
    I look at it as somewhere that I can improve my score. I'm not expecting to putt like the best pros, but if you think about it, it is a lot easier to hit putts like Tiger Woods than to hit some of the other shots he pulls/ed off.

Actually I wasn't that disappointed with my putting yesterday. Recently I have been disastrous, I was pushing and pulling the putts soooooo bad it wasn't funny. But I have started to control that. Judging distance has always been one of my better putting skills, but we all have days where we just cant get the pace right. I had one yesterday. I pretty much hit all my putts yesterday on good lines, some very close to dropping. Much more important for me at the moment is not to be hitting a line 6 foot wide!

Have you had a lesson?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Have you had a lesson?

plenty.

i just dont practice and that the big problem

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jalock20

32 points off 22 in Balcarrick today only my fourth round since getting back into it for the first time in years after just tipping around on the driving range the last few months.

Guessing I’m at around a 22 hcap as been playing with a few at that level and beating or equalling them and not far off the magical 36 points which I’m told is a good indicator of hcap?

Had 34 points on a round last Friday and 17 in a 9 hole round last week as well so coming on a bit.

What’s really killing me though is inconsistent driving it’s liable to go anywhere. Distance is good but accuracy is a killer.

All in all though pretty happy and hoping to get it down to around 17/18 before the summer is out.

A lesson will probably go a long way though tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

This game is crazy. Topped 4 drives. Iron play was really not good but got away with so much. Putter was pure solid, prob first time I didn't 3 putt. Made a lot of par or 2 point bogey saves with solid solid putting.

Its usually good iron play and mediocre putting
    Today the total opposite
    39 points of 13. It was a comp so hopefully I'll drop down to 12 now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭finglashoop

33 off 16 in first comp back
    3 pars
    Chipped in for a birdie being the highlight.

Weather was miserable all morning but played ok. Missed some atrocious putts. Really killing the scorecard

33 today as well. Poor back 9, and got a bit over confident when i went 3 up against a fried in our first game for a while. Ended up all square after a few really bad shots, especially on 16 and 18. Really enjoyed the round though.

Weather is shocking at the moment. Guess we had our fun in April/May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

33 points off 19 on Tuesday in Seapoint. Was 17 after 8 but two silly shots and my swing was never right after

1 On index 1 5th, on the way back I convinced myself I had teo much club and sliced out of bounds. Managed to drop an commit to shot and walk away with a 6
    2 On par 3 9th I took way less club than i usually world. Thought distance was right but hey what do I know

From there on I just never really played well. Still managed 16 home. But it was very unconvincing!

CSS was 35 so i should really have been cut

Then that was followed up by some awful play

20 off 19 for effectively 12 holes. I walked off after 14 after not been able take anymore and was soaked right through

Played with a new member who was somehow given 17. He then proceeded to comment on every shot telling me he was better than that. Commenting on all my shots. He told me my worst put of the day was a great putt and I ended up 3 putting

He didnt hit one fairway all day. Was constantly reloading. Had two tee shots not reach the ladies tee box.

Wait for it then, when we reached 9, he started giving out to the group that it was horrendous that we were 2h10. Conditions were horrible and one of the other new members was worse than him!!

Looking for his score on howdidido as I suspect it might be inflated......I really dont believe he put a score in to get 17

Anyway rant over.

I am so disappointed as I had a few 40+ rounds including a 48 pre lockdown. Not striking ball well but had reduced my handicap to 15 and still broke 36 a fair few times

Now I have a 4 day old baby coming home and I fear I am never going to get advantage of work put in over winter

And I played atrocious in Portmarnock!!

Sure more fool him if he put in a fake card to get a low handicap. The only outcome of it is he won't be able to compete until he can play to it or his handicap comes up.

And a 4 day old? You'll get the benefit of Harry practice alright. But maybe not for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

39 point off 17 in the lashings of rain yesterday evening. I was all over the place from tee to green(3 GIR), some huge putts helped me to that score. My regular playing partners reckon I'd be of 14 by now it weren't for lockdown, another way of calling me a bandit :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,172 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

First competition in about 4 years.

36 points off 14, nice and steady... or maybe not. Only 6 2's in there. 4 scratches thrown into the mix, mainly down to some horrific short game episodes. Some really good golf outside of that though.

Single figures might just be achievable this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bamayang

gypsy79 wrote: »

Anyway rant over.

I am so disappointed as I had a few 40+ rounds including a 48 pre lockdown. Not striking ball well but had reduced my handicap to 15 and still broke 36 a fair few times

Now I have a 4 day old baby coming home and I fear I am never going to get advantage of work put in over winter

And I played atrocious in Portmarnock!!

Perspective...

blue note wrote: »
    Sure more fool him if he put in a fake card to get a low handicap. The only outcome of it is he won't be able to compete until he can play to it or his handicap comes up.

And a 4 day old? You'll get the benefit of Harry practice alright. But maybe not for a few years.
    Yeah, that was a whole other drama!! Wife getting out tomorrow so was taking one of few chances I will have. I havent finished one year lower than I started since my cancer diagnosis and if it wasnt for Covid 19 I would have been so low due to a string of 40+ points off 19 that I wouldnt be able to play enough golf to not be lower at end of this year

And sure as sure can be. I checked his score on howdidido and it appears he entered himself for a 3 on a hole where he miraculously found his definitely lost ball and wedged over the trees back out into play. Now I think I would remember someone wholing out from 170 yards on a stinking wet day!!

How would people approach this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

With a new kid on the way home, avoid him on the time sheet and play with people I enjoy the company of and let it go.

Probably not what you want to hear but I can't see anything coming from it, committee won't care unless he's winning comps so it would just be wasted effort.

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    With a new kid on the way home, avoid him on the time sheet and play with people I enjoy the company of and let it go.

Probably not what you want to hear but I can't see anything coming from it, committee won't care unless he's winning comps so it would just be wasted effort.

But with the extra addition that I would like to think I am the best 19 in our club and was on our number 1 team for All Ireland 4 ball. Judging by how great this guy thinks he is, i will definitely come across him as he will try play on teams next year. I cant play with a cheat. I will be in a similar situation next year assuming I put in even reasonable amount of work over winter

And due to health situation I am in priveleged situation where wife will proactively encourage me to play golf as it is my main exercise and is good for everyone in the house as when I don play I am useless at home too!!

Added to that I help manage the Pierce Purcell team in club so more peril to not let it go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Slight improvement in scoring but ridiculous choices on the course. Wasted at least 5 good drives with silly 2nd shots that cost me at least a shot each time.
    16/19 for 35 off 14. Putting is good again and driving has improved but like most things in golf when one problem is solved another one rises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I had 34 (17 + 17) off 16. Perfect evening for golf with little or no breeze.

Never drove as well - driver and 3 wood. I hit 12 of 14 fairways, most bang in the middle and the 2 I missed weren't far off.
    I've a problem with pulling my approach shots though and put 3 balls in the water costing me scratches. The difference between 34 points and 40 points :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Yeah, that was a whole other drama!! Wife getting out tomorrow so was taking one of few chances I will have. I havent finished one year lower than I started since my cancer diagnosis and if it wasnt for Covid 19 I would have been so low due to a string of 40+ points off 19 that I wouldnt be able to play enough golf to not be lower at end of this year

And sure as sure can be. I checked his score on howdidido and it appears he entered himself for a 3 on a hole where he miraculously found his definitely lost ball and wedged over the trees back out into play. Now I think I would remember someone wholing out from 170 yards on a stinking wet day!!

I would 100% be reporting this to the handicap/comp secretary. It may have been an accident, but it should be investigated.

We had a guy in our place doing this for a few months a year or so ago, at the low end. Went from a handicap of 5 to 1/2 over a couple of months, and equalled our course record over the period.

Turned out he'd been changing the scores on his cards after they were handed back over at the end of the round, was only caught out when someone more active in the club was playing with him & marking his card.

He owned up to it afterhe was called out, got a 6 month ban from the club and the GUI.

Didn't need to do it either, is a great golfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Horrendous medal today, I gave up counting after 8 holes. Probably would have had 100+. Thankfully playing with friends and they didn't mind me treating it as practice on the back 9. It was my 3rd day in a row playing and I think it definitely caught up with me, concentration wasn't there and I'm worn out. They've let the rough grow out a lot and it's really getting to me, I just can't seem to get it out and toward the hole in any meaningful way. I need to look at some videos on youtube or something

I would 100% be reporting this to the handicap/comp secretary. It may have been an accident, but it should be investigated.

We had a guy in our place doing this for a few months a year or so ago, at the low end. Went from a handicap of 5 to 1/2 over a couple of months, and equalled our course record over the period.

Turned out he'd been changing the scores on his cards after they were handed back over at the end of the round, was only caught out when someone more active in the club was playing with him & marking his card.

He owned up to it afterhe was called out, got a 6 month ban from the club and the GUI.

Didn't need to do it either, is a great golfer.

I'm surprised the ban was so lenient. Also, if you were caught cheating, would you stay in the club? I reckon I'd be too embarrassed.

If it's a case that the guy didn't have a score and it changed his points tally from 27 to 29, I'd say it would be next to impossible to get him for cheating. I know myself if I have a score I'll check it a million times before submitting. If I have a score in the 20s I'll check my points on front and back and overall, but I imagine a lot of people just lash it in and don't.

If I was playing with someone and signed his card for one score and then I saw another posted to make his score one that could have gotten into the prizes, I'd reluctantly be calling the club. It's the last thing anyone wants to deal with. But if he's getting 0.1 back either way I'll probably give him the benefit of the doubt and not.

34 points today in Roganstown. Had a very poor front 9, with 13 points and culminated with two lost balls on the easy par 3 9th hole. Took a few mins to calm myself down, slowed everything down, and started playing really well. 21 points on the back 9, and that was with some average enough putting. Drives started going dead straight after i stopped bending my left arm so early, and my irons were good as well.

Overall, very happy with it, as i usually fall away on the back 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

33 points of 13 on omeara course at carton house
    14/19

The greens there are super slick, at least 20% faster than what I'm used to so took me the first 9 to adjust. My FIR was very good 13/14 but my GIR was shocking 4/18. Putting was hard tho, christ those greens are so pure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

First Comp back today.

29 off 18 Drove well, no 3 Putts had a few up & downs for 1 point, & parred Index 1 from the back tees.

Approach Irons where just shocking, anything was happening with them from mad hooks and shanks with a few massive fat divots. Going to play next Tuesday with 7-Iron & putter to try and get them back working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Had a nightmare today.

13/14

Nothing good worth mentioning to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

13/19 off 14.
    It's coming lads..... Hang on to your hats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'd forgotten how different playing with a card in your hand is!
    Strokes qualifier, level par nett and didn't get within a sniff of qualifying.
    Missed a 4 ft birdie on the first and then proceeded to 4 putt the next for double.
    Had 8 putts under 3 inches, they just wouldn't drop but delighted with putting in general.

Advertisement