Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Big improvement today.

Well to start the weather was better and the cob webs were gone. Basically hit 1 bad shot and 35 good ones for level par over 9 holes.

Delighted - was out with friends too. Hadn't seen them obviously - both love their golf.

Ball was travelling serious distances - again you can see an unusual secondary growth on the greens making them more full ,like us all, the greens seem to be doing their own growth and hair cuts. The general look of the fairways and course is incredible.

So many things to be positive about at present. Won the skins -but can't get the fiver.

Just open a zip pocket on your bag and the lads can stick it in themselves, that's what we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Just open a zip pocket on your bag and the lads can stick it in themselves, that's what we do.

How long does this thing last on a surface.

Isn't the principle of this and golf at present, you literally touch nothing someone else has touched ?

All that , then exchanging anything seems to miss the point.

How long does this thing last on a surface.

Isn't the principle of this and golf at present, you literally touch nothing someone else has touched ?

All that , then exchanging anything seems to miss the point.

How are you touching anything anyone else has touched?. They drop it into a pocket, pocket zipped up, Bob's your uncle.

I still have some cash in a pocket in my bag from before the lockdown started.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pakman

Two rounds in two days and great to be back out.

31 points off 16 on the first day with a lull in the middle and great last few holes where i dropped three +20 ft putts back to back. If i have one in a round usually I'll be amazed so the score card flattered being honest.

Today was similar with 13 points through the first 6 and then 5 one pointers in the same middle 6 holes had me a little dejected. Again the final holes came to my rescue with 3 pars and a birdie to give me 13 points in the last 4 holes and giving me 37 points for the day.

Highlight was driving the green comfortably on the 17th par 4, tied only with all members of our three ball, rossyd2005 in attendance, smashing our drives miles down the middle past the three ladies letting us play through. Cue swaggered walks down the fairway.

Everyone on the course seemed to be doing the right thing so hopefully this can continue. Evening 9 holes after work ahead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

We have a comp between us and winnings are transferred by revolut

• Advertisement

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    We have a comp between us and winnings are transferred by revolut

Great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Not clear until stage 3 restrictions are lifted.

200.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doublecross

Great to be back. Managed to get out yesterday and finished up with 33 pts. Not bad considering. Ball striking was solid but putting was poor, couldn't get the pace. Anyway, onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 faffingaround

So I was booked in to play 9 this morning at 8.40am. In the back of my mind I have a meeting at 3.00pm with preparation to do! So I only have time for 9.
    Started off with a par, double, bogey and then went on a real roll...
    Parred the par 3 fourth hole and then hit an 8 iron 140 yards with a perfect fade off the desert/sand area!! Unbelievable shot! Got another par and followed up with two more!

Lined up at the 600 yard par 5 eighth knowing I was 3 over for 7 holes! Unheard of! Had a couple of bad swings but it's so long I literally have to hit four really good shots to get to the green! Water twenty yards wide runs across at the 300 yard mark..
    So I hit a treble and par the last and I have hit 41 shots for 9 holes on a par 35 track!

Of course the meeting goes to the back of my mind and I tee up at the 10th which is the first hole but the yellow tees come into play and are way harder...

Par 10!, Double bogey on the horrendous 11th and on the 12th hole try to crack a 7 iron and it goes horribly wrong! Pick up the sand wedge and with a full swing from 85 yards knock it to 15 inches!!! 13th hole I hit the green and 3 putt for a bogey! Needless to say I'm nervous now and getting tired!

It has to be said I'm not in Ireland and I shamelessly have been playing regularly but because of the meeting I have had a smoothie and coffee all morning! I have some nuts in the bag but I'm starving and have no food! At this stage too it's 35 degree heat!!!!!

Line up at the 420 yard par 4 14th hole and I swing poorly! Skyball! I'm about 350yards back and I nail a seven iron across the sand/waste area to that magic range! 140! Hit a cracking 8 iron to the green and with an easy two putt I am 10 over through fourteen holes!

On the 15th the enormity for me sinks in and I hit two really **** nervy shots and bone a wedge to 20 yards but I am calm because my putting has been really good! Then I clam up and leave my putt 5 yards short! That horrible feeling washes over me where I think I'm going to blow a good round again!

So adrenalin or something kicks in and I roll in the 15/16 footer! That has me really positive before the last three holes! The 16th hole from the yellow tees is 175 yards with OOB on the left and water all on the right! It's known as the score crippler!!! I choose a 7 iron to lay up and I am blessed to nudge off a stone on the right and I can chip on for an easy two putt!

Drive poorly on the 17th and I am 180 from the water... Take out the 5 iron and put the ball back in my stance, I swing easily and catch it absolutely perfect. Way too perfect in fact as it hurtles to the water that splits that disgusting hole! I can't believe what I have done!!! However when I get up there, I'm short! Never went in!!! On the green in 5 and then hole a 16 footer up hill for a six!!! Excellent!

Last tee I know anything except a complete and utter disaster helps me break 90 comfortably for the first time ever! And I have had some last hole disasters...

Its a 338yard hole from the yellows but with an 80 by 40 yard triangle of water guarding the green! It's an easy 4 or 5 and it can be an easy snowman!!! The second shot is beyond crucial! I'm tired and nervous and hit a half swing driver that only goes about 140 yards! I lay up but that is **** too and I'm 143 yards back!

I can lay up again to 60-70 yards and lob on for a two putt six! I reckon though with the way I am hitting the 8 iron plus the pressure of a half swing wedge not guaranteeing anything, I will go all in...

All I'm thinking about is swinging easy... and I strike... I feel a rush and it's a disaster... for the 12 handicap who I now know I have beaten!

Two putts give me a 85 on a par 70 and it's up there with any sporting day any championship medal any day If I'm being honest!

What a sport!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

So I was booked in to play 9 this morning at 8.40am. In the back of my mind I have a meeting at 3.00pm with preparation to do! So I only have time for 9.
    Parred the par 3 fourth hole and then hit an 8 iron 140 yards with a perfect fade off the desert/sand area!! Unbelievable shot! Got another par and followed up with two more!

Lined up at the 600 yard par 5 eighth knowing I was 3 over for 7 holes! Unheard of! Had a couple of bad swings but it's so long I literally have to hit four really good shots to get to the green! Water twenty yards wide runs across at the 300 yard mark..
    So I hit a treble and par the last and I have hit 41 shots for 9 holes on a par 35 track!

Of course the meeting goes to the back of my mind and I tee up at the 10th which is the first hole but the yellow tees come into play and are way harder...

Par 10!, Double bogey on the horrendous 11th and on the 12th hole try to crack a 7 iron and it goes horribly wrong! Pick up the sand wedge and with a full swing from 85 yards knock it to 15 inches!!! 13th hole I hit the green and 3 putt for a bogey! Needless to say I'm nervous now and getting tired!

It has to be said I'm not in Ireland and I shamelessly have been playing regularly but because of the meeting I have had a smoothie and coffee all morning! I have some nuts in the bag but I'm starving and have no food! At this stage too it's 35 degree heat!!!!!

Line up at the 420 yard par 4 14th hole and I swing poorly! Skyball! I'm about 350yards back and I nail a seven iron across the sand/waste area to that magic range! 140! Hit a cracking 8 iron to the green and with an easy two putt I am 10 over through fourteen holes!

On the 15th the enormity for me sinks in and I hit two really **** nervy shots and bone a wedge to 20 yards but I am calm because my putting has been really good! Then I clam up and leave my putt 5 yards short! That horrible feeling washes over me where I think I'm going to blow a good round again!

So adrenalin or something kicks in and I roll in the 15/16 footer! That has me really positive before the last three holes! The 16th hole from the yellow tees is 175 yards with OOB on the left and water all on the right! It's known as the score crippler!!! I choose a 7 iron to lay up and I am blessed to nudge off a stone on the right and I can chip on for an easy two putt!

Drive poorly on the 17th and I am 180 from the water... Take out the 5 iron and put the ball back in my stance, I swing easily and catch it absolutely perfect. Way too perfect in fact as it hurtles to the water that splits that disgusting hole! I can't believe what I have done!!! However when I get up there, I'm short! Never went in!!! On the green in 5 and then hole a 16 footer up hill for a six!!! Excellent!

Last tee I know anything except a complete and utter disaster helps me break 90 comfortably for the first time ever! And I have had some last hole disasters...

Its a 338yard hole from the yellows but with an 80 by 40 yard triangle of water guarding the green! It's an easy 4 or 5 and it can be an easy snowman!!! The second shot is beyond crucial! I'm tired and nervous and hit a half swing driver that only goes about 140 yards! I lay up but that is **** too and I'm 143 yards back!

I can lay up again to 60-70 yards and lob on for a two putt six! I reckon though with the way I am hitting the 8 iron plus the pressure of a half swing wedge not guaranteeing anything, I will go all in...

All I'm thinking about is swinging easy... and I strike... I feel a rush and it's a disaster... for the 12 handicap who I now know I have beaten!

Two putts give me a 85 on a par 70 and it's up there with any sporting day any championship medal any day If I'm being honest!

What a sport!

That..... was a journey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Hard to follow that epic post. First day back, it was great to be out!!!!
    Steady golf, 35 pts off 16. 1 scratch.
    Happy out :)

Roll on Sunday and we go again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

What a sport!
    what a post!
    you in the Carolina's somewhere?

The Middle East- The home of Golf!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

The Middle East- The home of Golf!

what course you playing?

Seve OB wrote: »
    what course you playing?

Abu Dhabi City Club.
    It's not the Abu Dhabi club where Lowry won last year which is unreal but only the third best course in the city after Saadiyat and Yas! Two beautiful brutes!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Shot 37 points today. Played unbelievably well on the first 9, with 23 points, including my first every eagle on the 5th. Nice long drive, not so great 3 wood to around 40 yards just right of the green, 54 degree into the hole...most satisfying shot of my life :D Unfortunately had 5 double bogeys on the last 6 holes, due to a mixture of tiredness and my new shoes bloody killing me again, but i didn't care as I was still riding that eagle high.

God i love this game :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Two 12 holes today and Monday

Monday 15 points off 15
    Today 25 points off 15

Monday was horrendous. Drove ball straight down middle on first and then put a 7 iron out of bounds

Today was much better. Driving was only a little off before lockdown. Touch was either back or I was very lucky. No 3 putts

1 birdie
    2 pars
    8 bogies
    1 double

Playing off my Golfshot handicap which is 4 lower than gui. Need qualifying soon or winter gains won’t be realised

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

Played my first 18 yesterday after taken the day off for golf :D Didn't really want to play on my own so stuck my name down at 1.30pm with 2 lads I didn't know. A bit late for me but I had a few bits to do around the house. Headed to course and seen the 2 lads in car park introduced myself etc To be politely told they are waiting on there mate and we cant play 4 balls etc (Yea thats right lads and you have to put all names on timesheet too). and theres a lad on time sheet at 2.15 if I want to play with him (it was 1.15) They asked my name and said oh I look you up and play with you again.. I tell yea I had to hold my breath golf snobbery at its finest! So I just headed out on my own but I find it hard to keep concentration for 18 when on your own as I wanted to post a bit of a score!

Ended up with 25pts not 1 GIR struggled with driver the whole round which didnt help but the rest of my game was very solid smashing my long irons, plus chips and pitches were stopping dead with check and all. Good to see Harrington's tips paying off on social media ..lol..

There was know one on their own after them either.. *****rs..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

WOW, that is disgraceful
    did you report them?

you were lucky that the sheet was not full and you were able to get out. though having said that you would have been entitled to play with the 2 lads and leave their mate in the car park but not sure how much fun that would have been

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

benny79 wrote: »
    Played my first 18 yesterday after taken the day off for golf :D Didn't really want to play on my own so stuck my name down at 1.30pm with 2 lads I didn't know. A bit late for me but I had a few bits to do around the house. Headed to course and seen the 2 lads in car park introduced myself etc To be politely told they are waiting on there mate and we cant play 4 balls etc (Yea thats right lads and you have to put all names on timesheet too). and theres a lad on time sheet at 2.15 if I want to play with him (it was 1.15) They asked my name and said oh I look you up and play with you again.. I tell yea I had to hold my breath golf snobbery at its finest! So I just headed out on my own but I find it hard to keep concentration for 18 when on your own as I wanted to post a bit of a score!

Ended up with 25pts not 1 GIR struggled with driver the whole round which didnt help but the rest of my game was very solid smashing my long irons, plus chips and pitches were stopping dead with check and all. Good to see Harrington's tips paying off on social media ..lol..

What a pair of priccks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

What a pair of priccks

After more than two months away they force you to play on your own despite you being booked on the timesheet for your first game.

Livid. I'd want to see them removed from my course if that sh1t was pulled on me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

I was down in a 2 ball yesterday with the brother in law and we ended up playing with a randomer as well who seemed to be left down by his mates. Jesus he was slow. To the point that the brother in law and I were boarderline rude to him in the bluntness of our hints to hurry up. But we'd a 14 minute headstart on the threeball behind us and they had to wait for us to clear on the fifth tee box. Thankfully they must have looked for a ball and we dragged the guy along a bit and didn't hold them up again, but still, by the time we we on the 15th tee box the group ahead of us were on the 17th green.

On the round - very mixed. Had a socket on the par 3 4th hole. Played 3 off the tee and got the bogey. 5 pars overall playing off 14, so okay. The highlight was creaming a drive down the 8th fairway. It was downwind and on links fairway so got a good bit of run. It ended up about 2 yards shy of the green. I didn't get up and down though unfortunately! But that was as good a drive as I'll ever hit - probably about 280m.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

That's appalling behaviour. You should report them to the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Glad to see a few more struggling away. Made my return last night. Brutal. Could not keep Driver on the course. Surprisingly the short game was ok. Teesheet rammed but went up late and got 15 in at the best time to play golf. Course (Newlands) is baked. Only a member since last year so never seen it like that and plays completely differently. Really feels like mid July of a hot summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

In a club with low members that’s a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

To be honest I quickly got over it. I was just a bit shocked and looking forward to some social interaction as much as the golf. In a club with small members if I reported it nothing would probably happen for 1 and 2 they'd know I would have reported them. So be more awkward and hassle than its worth. As most them know each other.. Just dont get why he couldn't put his name down takes 2 seconds on app and my club is not enforcing the 5 k.

You get dickheads in all clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Should have insisted on playing with them. Then revel for the whole round in their hostility.

Only joking, maybe not. It was going to be crap for you either way at least this way you'd make it crap for them too. Pricks is right. Sorry to hear you had your first round back ruined like that. By fellow club members! ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

That’s disgraceful.

You’d have been entitled to say, listen I’m playing at 1.30. That’s the time I booked, if you want to join me then join me. If you wanna play with someone else then do that.

The balls on them to take you out of your tee slot and try to move you back an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Neewollah

Got back out yesterday evening. Delighted with how I played. 35 points off 7 with a birdie on the first!! 1 scratch. Hit the ball really well and no 3 putts. Looking forward now to the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

To be honest I quickly got over it. I was just a bit shocked and looking forward to some social interaction as much as the golf. In a club with small members if I reported it nothing would probably happen for 1 and 2 they'd know I would have reported them. So be more awkward and hassle than its worth. As most them know each other.. Just dont get why he couldn't put his name down takes 2 seconds on app and my club is not enforcing the 5 k.

You get dickheads in all clubs

fair play for being calm around them as that's some cockwomble **** they pulled.
    karma hopefully sorts them out in the long term.

Advertisement