Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poachers confirmed now

• 02-01-2020 11:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

So this past few mo ths I've seen probably 2 deer on my land and nor.ally I'd see hundreds
    On my walk this morning( new year new me crap healthy buzz) and I came across some ravens at a kill. Within 50 square yard area I came across 6 carcasses of deer. Some from last night I'd say and two from maybe two days ago. All young bar one large rib cage. Torn apart by dogs by the look of it with two at least been shot in the ribs as the hole was unmistakable. It's really upsetting. This land once flourished with deer now ending like this within months. If anyone can point me towards a phone number for Irish deer society I'd appreciate it. I'm not on Facebook or anything because this needs to be made aware of. It's getting worse in this country.
    Dont know how to put up pics here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

https://www.irishdeersociety.ie/report-an-incident/

Email: info@irishdeersociety.ie
    Contact no. 087 6971972

All info public from their webpage

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭kunekunesika

Maybe give Gardaí and npws a shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Were they whole carcasse's or just rib cages and bones?
    Any pelts, legs, grollochs etc?
    Do you think this was a result of lads using dogs (obviously not in the case of gun shot wounds)?
    Just asking out of my own curiosity, if I jump the gun and make an assumption that you came across rib cages, leg bones etc, etc, then what you might have is a 'dumping ground' for some one end results. Is there a road / lane near by?

I've come across two in the last week , results I'd say of poor shooting, definitely in one case (no visible wound, but the location of the animal would suggest hunting) and a possible RTA (no sign of gunshot wounding) in the other one. One was a good few days old with all soft organs gone etc and eaten to the bone in places but plenty 'semi liquid' flesh and mush around the head and other areas, the hair was falling away from the flesh. There were a couple of long bones scattered around. The other animal was less then 12 hours dead, the belly was eaten out of it, the stomach contents was fresh and green, the hair still tight and the liver looked as if it could be still fried up. The exposed rib cage showed heavy sign of predation with the short ends well chewed and broken up.
    I'd say that the foxes that were on it were curled up in the dens with full stomachs or we pushed them on with our dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

So this past few mo ths I've seen probably 2 deer on my land and nor.ally I'd see hundreds
    On my walk this morning( new year new me crap healthy buzz) and I came across some ravens at a kill. Within 50 square yard area I came across 6 carcasses of deer. Some from last night I'd say and two from maybe two days ago. All young bar one large rib cage. Torn apart by dogs by the look of it with two at least been shot in the ribs as the hole was unmistakable. It's really upsetting. This land once flourished with deer now ending like this within months. If anyone can point me towards a phone number for Irish deer society I'd appreciate it. I'm not on Facebook or anything because this needs to be made aware of. It's getting worse in this country.
    Dont know how to put up pics here

In the post section it says attach files,thats where you add pics.It seems easier sometimes on the full site not the touch site.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

If anyone can point me towards a phone number for Irish deer society I'd appreciate it.

Why them?

As said above An Gardaí and the NPWS are the ones that can actually do something about it, and not politicise it for their own agenda as many organisations seem to be doing (ala the push from some groups to ban Nightvision altogether).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Cass wrote: »
    Why them?

As said above An Gardaí and the NPWS are the ones that can actually do something about it, and not politicise it for their own agenda as many organisations seem to be doing (ala the push from some groups to ban Nightvision altogether).

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=498956&stc=1&d=1578014231

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

That's the pic I can put up the others are too high in size
    They weren't like that when I found them I just gathered them up like that to take a pic but they're all found in 50 square yard area
    Be reporting it tomorrow to a garda that works on clamping down on poaching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

I don't understand why anyone (even poachers) would kill deer and dump them. Makes no sense to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

No poacher worthy of that title would leave perfectly good meat that they would have gone to great risk to aquire it,lying around to rot.This idnt poaching,it's morons with dogs or nothing else to shoot idiots destroying a natural resource.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

I doubt anyone caught 6 deer
    In the one spot with dogs? If ones been shot most likely they’ve all been shot.

If animals were killed at separate times in the one spot get a trail cam up

• Advertisement
Advertisement