Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job - not being taxed?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,999 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

You are incorrect. It is the employer's obligation to deduct tax but you are correct in saying that it can be deducted from the employee in certain situations such as
    "Revenue Commissioners, on being satisfied that the employer took reasonable care to comply with the provisions of these regulations and that the under deduction was due to an error in good faith, may direct that the amount of excess shall be recovered from the employee"

Have a read of these.

S.I. No. 559/2001 - Income tax regulations, 2001
    S.I. No. 345/2018 - Income tax (employments) regulations 2018
    TCA 1997 part 42

And as the previous poster has said, I also have not seen an employee being pursued for under payment of tax except for incorrect credits/ cut off point being claimed.

It is in the employee's interest to get this sorted but it is certainly the employer's responsibility to ensure the correct deduction of tax.

I don't see anything to suggest the OP is a contractor, or the employer is treating them as one. The OP is not invoicing them, no mention of IT returns, previously employed before taking this current role. Employer likely paying them with regular frequency with consistent amounts.

Some people around these parts think they know more than qualified people. Even if we keep telling them, they will not believe us.

Advertisement