Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise on leaving win7 Pro to ubuntu

Options
  • 02-01-2020 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Just like some thoughts on leaving win7, I have tried win 10 and I am not very impressed plus all the troubles of upgrading reported by various sources leave me a bit worried. I am using a 4 year old laptop, mainly for browsing, e-mail,paying bills light usage . I did have a try run of ubuntu and it was different but manageble. I would appreciate your thoughts/advice.( oh and I should say that I am in my 70's-if that matters)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ultimately given how much of what we do has moved online into browser-based applications, then moving to Ubuntu shouldn't be a big deal for you. It'll take a little while to get used to some of the more subtle differences, but it should be straightforward enough. Your age doesn't matter. The fact that you even know what ubuntu is and were able to try it out, tells me that you'll be well able for it.

You can get both Firefox and Chrome on ubuntu which means that 99% of what you do won't change. If you have any Windows-specific applications (like Microsoft Office), then you'll need to find replacements.

The only things that cause difficulty are really specific applications like games, photo/video editing or programming. Even then you can usually find alternatives that are at least good enough, sometimes better.

Download ubuntu desktop and the whole install process should be really simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭david65

Thanks Seamus for the vote of confidence, I have tried ubuntu a few times and it does seem logical to me. I do't play games etc and my programming days are long over. Libra office, when I can used to it will take care of my needs.
    Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Likewise with what Seamus said. As an extra suggestion, give this a try rather than the regular Ubuntu:

https://zorinos.com/download/

Try the "Core" edition or "Lite" (free). Based on Ubuntu but uses a much more traditional desktop setup. Lovely and stable distro, and as far as I know, started by some Irish lads. Hope you enjoy your Linux adventure, its the way of the future! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Another option to consider is to keep Windows 7 and dual boot into whichever Linux distribution you decide on. Then you have the option to use windows if required, especially for excel files that might take a bit of getting used to in other spreadsheet programs.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I quite like Kubuntu (KDE desktop enviornment): https://kubuntu.org/. I was using Mint but wasn't to impressed with Gnome interface and it didn't handle scaling too well in my dual monitor setup (4k monitor :) ). I'm currently using Kubuntu for my development work OS and apart from the odd glitch its perfect and quite windowsesque

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭david65

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Another option to consider is to keep Windows 7 and dual boot into whichever Linux distribution you decide on. Then you have the option to use windows if required, especially for excel files that might take a bit of getting used to in other spreadsheet programs.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I might actually go down this route

Advertisement