Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are these?

Options
  • 02-01-2020 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭

Hi

What are these and where can I buy them. Can’t even figure out the name for me to search?

I’m getting an automatic wire stripper and a billion of these. Hanging lamp shades is NO fun.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

karlitob wrote: »
    Hi

What are these and where can I buy them. Can’t even figure out the name for me to search?

I’m getting an automatic wire stripper and a billion of these. Hanging lamp shades is NO fun.

Thanks

And the pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

And the pic.

They are just wire end ferrules

Hi

Thanks
    Why do you need these?? You will also need a ferrule crimper to use these

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

TheBully wrote: »
    Why do you need these?? You will also need a ferrule crimper to use these

They keep the conductor strands together making it easier to make a good termination. A crimper is required.

2011 wrote: »
    They keep the conductor strands together making it easier to make a good termination. A crimper is required.
    I know what they are, I’m just asking why he needs them really! He said he’s hanging a light shade!

• Advertisement

I know what they are, I’m just asking why he needs them really! He said he’s hanging a light shade!

Well for the lampshade and a few other things as I build up my collection of tools and knowledge of how to maintain my home.

In this instance, I have a massive lampshade - that’s fairly heavy. And it’s quite a challenge to strip wires, hold up the shade to the terminal blocks and then fiddle with the wire when it strays after I twist it. I want to make sure that I get a good connection.

It is an unreasonable thing to have in the house?

They are just wire end ferrules

Thank you.

2011 wrote: »

I have this crimper? Would that suit?

Also
    - are these what I’m looking for.

https://ie.rs-online.com/mobile/p/crimp-bootlace-ferrules/2114280/

Thanks in advance to you both.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I have this crimper? Would that suit?

Also
    - are these what I’m looking for.

https://ie.rs-online.com/mobile/p/crimp-bootlace-ferrules/2114280/

Thanks in advance to you both.

Something like this would be better:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crimping-IDESION-0-25-10mm%C2%B2-Self-Adjustable-Terminal/dp/B07D7V9RC6/ref=asc_df_B07D7V9RC6/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=375498143972&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12901663739814777004&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=20476&hvtargid=pla-467897338938&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=76297946145&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=375498143972&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12901663739814777004&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=20476&hvtargid=pla-467897338938

The crimper you have won't work with ferrules and to be honest I see no reason for anyone to own a set of those as I wouldn't trust anything crimped by them. Either put it back in the toy box or bin it...but never use it on any cable that will carry more than 12 volts.

Well for the lampshade and a few other things as I build up my collection of tools and knowledge of how to maintain my home.

In this instance, I have a massive lampshade - that’s fairly heavy. And it’s quite a challenge to strip wires, hold up the shade to the terminal blocks and then fiddle with the wire when it strays after I twist it. I want to make sure that I get a good connection.

It is an unreasonable thing to have in the house?

Why are you trying to wire the light with the lampshade attached or am I missing something? In my experience it is almost always possible and a good idea to screw the light to the ceiling and then put the wires in the terminal block.

• Advertisement

aido79 wrote: »
    Why are you trying to wire the light with the lampshade attached or am I missing something? In my experience it is almost always possible and a good idea to screw the light to the ceiling and then put the wires in the terminal block.

I must be missing a trick. It’s a pendant light like below - the wire is entwined in the supporting chain. So after I put up the new bracket to take the weight of the pendant, I fit the wires to the terminal block. It’s only after both ends of the wire is in the terminal block can I then hang the light off the bracket.

The biggest pain is stripping the wire and getting it into the terminal block - which is why I’m keen on strippers (wire strippers, that is) and ferrules to make it easier.

Am I missing something? Any advice to make it easier.

Thanks for advice. It’s definitely one of those tools everyone has and no one knows how to use it or what’s it for. Will bin it.

One more question on the ferrules - would they be too bulky ...it’s just they don’t look like the one I have in m6 original post.

Thanks.

I must be missing a trick. It’s a pendant light like below - the wire is entwined in the supporting chain. So after I put up the new bracket to take the weight of the pendant, I fit the wires to the terminal block. It’s only after both ends of the wire is in the terminal block can I then hang the light off the bracket.

The biggest pain is stripping the wire and getting it into the terminal block - which is why I’m keen on strippers (wire strippers, that is) and ferrules to make it easier.

Am I missing something? Any advice to make it easier.

Can you attach a picture?

Thanks for advice. It’s definitely one of those tools everyone has and no one knows how to use it or what’s it for. Will bin it.

One more question on the ferrules - would they be too bulky ...it’s just they don’t look like the one I have in m6 original post.

Thanks.

Yes they are too bulky for most lights and I have never seen them used in domestic wiring. They are more commonly used in industrial applications.

Found this for others searching on boards. Thank you.

https://youtu.be/yKCSbpFmpo0

Can you attach a picture?

It’s fitted now unfortunately - not going near it again!!

I put a link to a similar pendant in the last post if that’s any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I need to do some crimping for a small task I have to complete.

My wire stripper (https://www.screwfix.com/p/c-k-automatic-wire-stripper/97204?tc=NA1&ds_kid=92700022887989575&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1244066&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2M6S4tmr6AIVCbLtCh0IVgoHEAQYASABEgKtmPD_BwE) has a single crimp on it whereas the specific crimping tools are able to put multiple crimps into the ferrule.
    Not a problem, I can do multiple crimps with my stripper. However, if I decide to get a crimper at some stage what is the best type to get?

There seems to be two main types, an open jawed version and one with a central square which encompasses the ferrule and crimps it into a square shape. Which is best or are they much of a muchness?

Do most people just twist the strands and work away or do most sparks using stranded cables use end ferrules?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

Just twist the strands together and cover in a light layer of solder.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Cerco wrote: »
    Just twist the strands together and cover in a light layer of solder.

Well that's what I would have done previously but I've read now that that is not a good idea as the solder can creep and lead to a bad connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Can’t see any reason why you wouldn’t use ferrules provided they are crimped correctly,

The crimper in the amazon link is pretty good

• Advertisement
Advertisement