Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4k Race Bike 2020

Options
  • 02-01-2020 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

I'm thinking of a new race bike for 2020 with a max budget of 4k. And I'm just wondering what makes and models any of you have your eye on?

I've been looking at a Giant and looked at some Orbeas before but cant help worrying there might be some things out there beyond the usual suspects I should look at.

Just really like to hear what you all fancy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Aurelian wrote: »
    I'm thinking of a new race bike for 2020 with a max budget of 4k. And I'm just wondering what makes and models any of you have your eye on?

I've been looking at a Giant and looked at some Orbeas before but cant help worrying there might be some things out there beyond the usual suspects I should look at.

Just really like to hear what you all fancy!

What are you looking to use the bike for? Racing, sportives or just Sunday spins with a few mates?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm thinking of spending a similar amount towards the end of the year but waiting to see what happens with new Canyons - both the Aeroad and Ultimate are due updates at some stage and I'd either see the value of new ones or find a deal on an older model, looking for Ultegra Di2 disc with decent wheels at that type of price

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Croix de fer ti is the bike I won't be getting this year, but I wish I was, as I don't race!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

I'm thinking of spending a similar amount towards the end of the year but waiting to see what happens with new Canyons - both the Aeroad and Ultimate are due updates at some stage and I'd either see the value of new ones or find a deal on an older model, looking for Ultegra Di2 disc with decent wheels at that type of price

Pretty sure the new Aeroad has been spotted a few times recently. See attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Aurelian

Yep for racing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I'd be scouring the web for the best one-size-only-special-offer on a last season bike that I could find. Get yourself a 7k bike for your 4k.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I love my Rose X Lite, got it last year, best hill climb result, 1st win in a race, 1st CI points. It's not all about the bike but it certainly done no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Pretty sure the new Aeroad has been spotted a few times recently. See attached.

Oh Christ that's fcuking ugly as sin...far to much like a Propel which is the ugliest bike on the roads these days...IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

You might find something here. Canyon ex-pro bikes.
    Full balls out race bikes, absolute top spec https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/outlet-bikes/pro-bikes/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Oh Christ that's fcuking ugly as sin...far to much like a Propel which is the ugliest bike on the roads these days...IMO.

That's how it works, the more areo it claims to be the worse the styling.
    I honestly doubt aero bikes make any difference in amateur racing.
    Go for something that you like the look of and find comfortable.
    Make adjustments so your body position is as aero as possible, that's where the real aero gains are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I'd a bike like a TCR with a decent groupset and top class wheels before an aeroroad or propel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

tuxy wrote: »
    That's how it works, the more areo it claims to be the worse the styling.
    I honestly doubt aero bikes make any difference in amateur racing.
    Go for something that you like the look of and find comfortable.
    Make adjustments so your body position is as aero as possible, that's where the real aero gains are.
    I almost bought two very aero bikes at the start of the year. Settled on a lighter bike in the last moments and never regretted it. Easily overtook a lad I was on par with on one of the aero choices, your 100% right, Irish amateur racing isn't decided by aero bikes at A4, A3 or even A2 races.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Daroxtar wrote: »
    You might find something here. Canyon ex-pro bikes.
    Full balls out race bikes, absolute top spec https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/outlet-bikes/pro-bikes/

Jeez, have you looked at the closeups of the wear and tear? Those katushas have been run ragged!

Not impressed for 3999 euro. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Hmm yeah, but are you going to be hammering the crap out of them on the road or hanging them over the mantlepiece? If you're moving fast enough no one will see the scratch marks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yes but what kind of condition are all the bearings and parts like that in?

Better off getting a lower spec brand new bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

tuxy wrote: »
    Yes but what kind of condition are all the bearings and parts like that in?

Better off getting a lower spec brand new bike.

A work colleague bought an ex movistar canyon last year, it was fully serviced when he got it, few Mark's and the only complaint was the battery was flat in the pm. Worth it imo

Advertisement