Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bathroom tap can't get off

• 02-01-2020 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Hi folks any help on when u take the handle off and top of their is a Phillips screw on top and brass nut on bottom I have tried every Phillips screwdriver I can't turn the screw , the brass nut won't budge am doing something wrong

Yes the waters off and only 2 years on lot of lime

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

Have you tried lube?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭torrevieja

NSAman wrote: »
    Have you tried lube?

No I didn't but it seems quite new and turns when u turn handle

Any particular lube

torrevieja wrote: »
    Any particular lube

I just used wd40 still won't turn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭wiz569

Put up a picture of the situation, might be something else stopping it unscrewing.

• Advertisement

wiz569 wrote: »
    Put up a picture of the situation, might be something else stopping it unscrewing.

Ok here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Brass nut can be quite tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭wiz569

Try spraying it liberally with WD40 and leave it a couple of hours, you might need to use two spanners/wrenches ,one on the nut and one on the spout to hold against. Failing that you might need to take out the whole tap and stick it in a vice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I had trouble changing one of those a couple of weeks back. I had to use a vise grip in the end. Next step after that would have been a deep socket, but the vise grip did the job.

do i have to open the phillips screw and is this a cartridge or just a rubber ring needed ?

• Advertisement

What exactly is the issue with the tap?

pablo128 wrote: »
    What exactly is the issue with the tap?

It's dripping every so often

It's dripping every so often

It looks like a quarter turn tap. They don't have a replaceable washer like the normal type of tap so the insert has to be replaced. As the hot and cold turn different ways, it's probably best to replace the pair.

At this stage, the Philip screw is not preventing you removing the insert. It only holds the tap head on.

I had serious trouble with the cold tap for some reason. There are a few different sizes too. If it's viable, bring the old insert with you when buying the new ones. Woodies or b & q have them.

pablo128 wrote: »
    It looks like a quarter turn tap. They don't have a replaceable washer like the normal type of tap so the insert has to be replaced. As the hot and cold turn different ways, it's probably best to replace the pair.

At this stage, the Philip screw is not preventing you removing the insert. It only holds the tap head on.

I had serious trouble with the cold tap for some reason. There are a few different sizes too. If it's viable, bring the old insert with you when buying the new ones. Woodies or b & q have them.

Yea and they keep moving around so hard to tighten underneath

I'll try again but the brass nut wouldn't budge and it's anticlockwise I turn

I had to get a nephew actually to open the difficult one as I was only 2 weeks after an operation and it was hurting me, so I know how stuck they can be. Once it 'cracks' though, it just spins out easily.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Have you tried running a few gallons of very hot water through the tap to heat everything up before trying to open it. A bit of heat often helps.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote: »
    Have you tried running a few gallons of very hot water through the tap to heat everything up before trying to open it. A bit of heat often helps.

Yes i did That...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

There is what looks like a small hole in the spout side of the white plastic part. Might there be a small grub screw there for locking the screw you're asking about? If there is, you'll probably need a small scredriver or allen key to open it.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=498937&d=1577999528

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Up Donegal wrote: »
    There is what looks like a small hole in the spout side of the white plastic part. Might there be a small grub screw there for locking the screw you're asking about? If there is, you'll probably need a small scredriver or allen key to open it.

No it doesnt

Up Donegal wrote: »

no thats were the screw goes in that attaches to handle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Drench a small cloth in limescale remover spray the tap in it and then wrap the tap in the cloth.

Leave over night.

anyone know what size cartridge in it , hoping to get it off tomorrow, have to turn water off from mains, will water p??s out of it if i take out cartridge ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,723 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

anyone know what size cartridge in it , hoping to get it off tomorrow, have to turn water off from mains, will water p??s out of it if i take out cartridge ??

As it's a bathroom tap it will likely be fed from the tank - so the tank will need emptying after the mains is turned off - unless you have a cut off seperately on the 2 water feeds to the sink
    When unscrewing the brass bolt just go slowly so you can tighten a bit more if you suddenly get sprayed

fritzelly wrote: »
    As it's a bathroom tap it will likely be fed from the tank - so the tank will need emptying after the mains is turned off - unless you have a cut off seperately on the 2 water feeds to the sink
    When unscrewing the brass bolt just go slowly so you can tighten a bit more if you suddenly get sprayed

Just got it out gave it a wipe out the limescale remover on it

Since I put the old one back in it's not dripping
    Should I still get it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,723 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If it's not dripping then no, unless its in bad condition

Advertisement