Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are there two river rescue patrols in Waterford City rather than one?

Options
  • 02-01-2020 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

I saw some comments online from people giving out about Waterford Marine Search and Rescue. It was under a WLRFM article. It prompted me to ask why is there two river rescue services rather than one unified structure?

There was very unfair criticism aimed MSR and it was disappointing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

WMSAR is a volunteer run service,and the Waterford fire brigade have a service on the river also.

Can you link to the article on WLR please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I cant see anyone giving out on those comments ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I cant see anyone giving out on those comments ?

They've been deleted. I saw some of them and they were in very bad taste it seemed to me

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Tarzann

I was told that the original group Waterford City River Rescue was not active enough for some of their members, with too much emphasis on politics and a lot of talking rather than doing.

WMSAR was set up as a result of this and has grown at an incredible rate, including the superb suicide patrols year-round on weekend (and other busy) nights.

https://www.wlrfm.com/2020/01/02/busiest-christmas-for-waterford-volunteer-rescue-group/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Number of lives saved over the Christmas, top professional work from all volunteers involved,

It's a disgrace they have to raise their own funds for this essential service ,with no help from wcc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What's the dynamic between the two organisations? Do they both respond? As for the number of times they are needed it's pretty dismal.

Dark days, drink, despair and a handy river.

Advertisement