Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing from 2 to 3 ring chainset

Options
  • 02-01-2020 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭

i have a question im hoping i can get an answer on here,

Is it possible to change my road bike from having a 2 ring to a 3 ring chainset?. My bike model is a merida scultura 903 and i find there's an awful difference between the big ring and the granny ring. i think if i had a medium middle ring for small climbs it would be far easier.

Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

I'm sure those more knowledgeable than myself will have better advice but my first thought was to look at the cassette as being a cheaper option, spec for that bike shows a 12-28 t 10 speed, is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm not sure if the bike would be compatible for a new derailleur as it would require extra space to accommodate 3 rings.

You should be able to get almost the same ratios with 2 rings as with 3 by changing the cassette (and chain).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

i have a question im hoping i can get an answer on here,

Is it possible to change my road bike from having a 2 ring to a 3 ring chainset?. My bike model is a merida scultura 903 and i find there's an awful difference between the big ring and the granny ring. i think if i had a medium middle ring for small climbs it would be far easier.

Thanks in advance for any help

Triples are unpopular on road bikes these days, although you see a fair few of them in the audax crew. See https://road.cc/content/feature/191171-which-chainset-right-you for the pros and cons of various chainsets. Getting spares is awkward too, my old Veloce was 54/42/30 and I had to change to 53/39/30 last time I replaced chain rings. Probably not a great choice any more, semi-compact might be a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

It may be uneconomical to change from a double to triple as you will need-
    New chainset, new shifters, front mech.
    Plus fitting costs, new cables, bartape etc. You may also need a new rear mech and chain whilst your at it!
    Post up your cassette ratio and chainring sizes here first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Sounds like a bad idea to me. I had a triple chainset before and I found I was ALWAYS changing gear! Regardless of the gradient, there always seem to be a more suitable gear to change to. The result is you will go through cables much quicker and the shifters will wear out quicker too.

What chainset is fitted at the moment? Is it a standard 53x39, or a compact 50x36?

Changing the rear cassette might be a better option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

07Lapierre wrote: »
    ... or a compact 50x36?..
    50x34 I presume you meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭eoghan84

I love the triples myself. I feel I can climb anything steep and have the one set up for all the types of riding I might do - be that steep stuff in Ireland like coomanaspic or wet cobblestones at the koppenberg or else something in the alps or else something flat or middling. theres always an extra gear for those intimidating climbs.

but theyre not popular and alot of people will talk to you about how theyre not needed, and also the shops will try to sell the compact and a new cassette

its expensive to change from double to triple though. best way is to get the tiagra 10sp 4703

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I really hated having a triple chainset - replaced that bike with a Tiagra 50-34 & 10-34 cassette and couldn't be happier with it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

50x34 I presume you meant.

My mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

gman2k wrote: »
    It may be uneconomical to change from a double to triple as you will need-
    New chainset, new shifters, front mech.
    Plus fitting costs, new cables, bartape etc. You may also need a new rear mech and chain whilst your at it!
    Post up your cassette ratio and chainring sizes here first.

im not sure how i know that. im relatively new to cycling so havent a clue. google says the specs are: Shimano Tiagra 50-34 is that correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

im not sure how i know that. im relatively new to cycling so havent a clue. google says the specs are: Shimano Tiagra 50-34 is that correct?

It will be stamped on the rings themselves. IF you can post the numbers from the rings on the front chainset and rear cassette then some here can recommend updates to improve the ratios.

Might help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml9Ojbl2uaw

Also add some photos if in doubt :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Sounds right.
    It'd be cheaper to get a new cassette, with a bigger big ring at the back.
    You may need a different rear derailleur depending on if it's long or short cage.
    Read the specs of your bike again and have a look at the rear derailleur and cassette.
    I'm not a climber by any chance or stretch of the imagination but a compact (which you have, 50x34) and an 11-28 gets me up anything.
    I race on it too, the other end is no problem either.

Advertisement