Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic today at the shopping centre

• 02-01-2020 6:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else see or experience this?
    The traffic in the shopping centre is the worst I have ever seen in my life. Worse than any Christmas recent or old.

35 minutes and counting to get from center bus stop to mcdonalds drive thru. Thought Christmas was over?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The traffic in the shopping centre is the worst I have ever seen in my life. Worse than any Christmas recent or old.

35 minutes and counting to get from center bus stop to mcdonalds drive thru. Thought Christmas was over?

Funnily I drive by Dundrum earlier and the traffic around it was crazy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

50 minutes to get out of the centre. Expect the same tomorrow I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

First day back to work for many?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Kids still on holidays, Families having days out ice skating, shopping etc etc.

Not suprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,274 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Wouldn't go near it from early Dec till the schools are back in Jan, lifes too short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,130 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

January sales. All shopping centres were like this today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I had an optician appointment on Monday at lunchtime so had to go. The traffic was backed up to Ongar road by Power City to both the TK Maxx and Wetherspoons sides and not moving. I eventually gave up waiting and parked in the Millennium Park/woods car park and walked through the Fingal offices and was in the centre in 10 minutes. (Handy for future reference)Had I stayed in the traffic, it would have taken 30 mins plus the risk of no available parking. The queues for MCDONALD'S, burger king and BBs were unreal. I never saw the centre so packed.

It's pretty crazy alright.
    You would expect this in the run up to christmas (up the the 24th) Mad to see it was worse than that on January 2nd.

Some people already back to work coming home while others floating about down the center awaiting to return to work etc on Monday. All I know is expect the same today.

It was mental from 5:15pm yesterday just for a heads up for those travelling through it later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

It's pretty crazy alright.
    You would expect this in the run up to christmas (up the the 24th) Mad to see it was worse than that on January 2nd.

Some people already back to work coming home while others floating about down the center awaiting to return to work etc on Monday. All I know is expect the same today.

It was mental from 5:15pm yesterday just for a heads up for those travelling through it later.

Thanks OP, that’s nuts. I had kept my distance during December but the Mrs was talking about going this evening around 18:30 so will cancel that also. Wouldn’t have expected traffic to be so bad in Jan but the centre is a disaster and clueless planners are only making things worse with further development such as the Aldi store and BusConnect using it as their new hub.

Blanchardstown is trending on Twitter and someone posted this :

https://twitter.com/AnBurcach/status/1212789060357496832

.. and this appeared to be the cause (with people still being off adding to it)

https://twitter.com/aaroadwatch/status/1212786215365283840

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

OP I was caught in this on the way home from work last night. I can't say it was people coming home from work, traffic was very light on the way in and on the way home up to the Peck's Lane bus stop or thereabouts - chocka after that. Much worse than any Christmas shopping traffic I ahve seen, it' smad. Hopefully not the same this evening :eek:

Yeah, couldn't believe how bad it was last night. Thought there must have been traffic lights out or something.

Thank God for motorbikes, would have lost the will to live if I wasn't able to filter through that mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Anyone been this evening or tried to pass through. Was yesterday a once off due to congestion on the N3?
    Fri's are usually quiet enough with a lot of people travelling down the country for the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Was bad last night, I was heading down to it around 4pm, saw the traffic and turned around.

I think its bad every year. I don't really see it as anything different tonight.
    Even on a normal winters night, it can be brutal. Been many a night during the year commuting home from work its flagged up as gridlock on the phone, and I've done a massive detour to avoid the whole area.

Even on sat mornings heading out to matches during the year, you regularly get caught in gridlock anywhere near center. Same on Thurs nights trying to get the NAC for sports.

People ask why. Its a closed loop. It nicely brings together all the shopping traffic, all the local major routes go right past it, so all the commuting traffic, and anyone needed to get around locally all have to go past it. Poor design, all the traffic has to criss cross each other at every corner.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,326 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Traffic was mental when I was on my way home from work on around 5.15 Monday. Took at least 20 minutes from when I joined the queue on the slip road to get past the roundabout on Blanchardstown Road. The roundabout itself was absolute carnage, far worse than anything I saw in the run up to Christmas. I came through Blanch village and up Clonsilla Road on Tuesday rather than take the chance again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

The gas thing is that everything past the Coolmine woods was green field to develop whatever the heck they wanted, and we got this disaster. Same story with the junction near the Garda station. Literally everything down there, even the housing estates off the Clonsilla road, were developed in the 1990s and could have been anything. The planners, who’ve probably all headed off to their defined benefit pensions at this stage, were shortsighted idiots of major proportion. Can’t see how it gets any better in years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Nijmegen wrote: »
    The gas thing is that everything past the Coolmine woods was green field to develop whatever the heck they wanted, and we got this disaster. Same story with the junction near the Garda station. Literally everything down there, even the housing estates off the Clonsilla road, were developed in the 1990s and could have been anything. The planners, who’ve probably all headed off to their defined benefit pensions at this stage, were shortsighted idiots of major proportion. Can’t see how it gets any better in years to come.
    Several of the FCC Planning Officials upon “Retiring”, became “Planning Advisors” to Developers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Basil3 wrote: »
    Thank God for motorbikes, would have lost the will to live if I wasn't able to filter through that mess.
    I've cycled up to the centre a number of times before and during the Christmas holidays. I'm lucky that I'm only 2.5km away and can do that. I've done decent sized shops in Lidl on my bike - I had 25kg stuffed into my panniers recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Several of the FCC Planning Officials upon “Retiring”, became “Planning Advisors” to Developers.
    Either that or they got jobs in An Bord Planeala. There are a few ex planning officials who are very cosy with elected officials too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Pat Dunne wrote: »

Major corruption in that place Including councillors.

Not even about that.

They insist on making bad decisions even when obvious flaws are pointed out. There is a arrogance to ignore the advice and feedback of people. Real jobsworth stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Phil.x wrote: »
    Major corruption in that place Including councillors.

Care to enlighten us?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Does the plan for Bus Connects mean all buses will terminate at the Centre for buses into the city?

Surely this has to be revised given the traffic nightmare of the Centre.

Buses would be quicker terminating slightly outside of the Centre , rather than going into it as the bus lanes aren't respected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Does the plan for Bus Connects mean all buses will terminate at the Centre for buses into the city?

Surely this has to be revised given the traffic nightmare of the Centre.

Buses would be quicker terminating slightly outside of the Centre , rather than going into it as the bus lanes aren't respected.

Off peak anyway. I know the equivalent of the 38 will still go direct into/from the city and avoid the centre during peak times so maybe other routes are similar.

Advertisement