Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One in nine children brought up in home with no working adult

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

What are you doing for income if I might ask? You can't quit and claim welfare.

Youre better than this matt... 1 post...

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭2 fast

Or we could look at:

The costs of childcare
    Or
    Families having to move away from their support network (grandparents/aunt's/uncles) etc as it's too expensive to rent in their home town.
    Or
    Why some families could be over 300pw better off if the parents separated.

It's not always lazy people :rolleyes:

This is very true, childcare is like a second mortgage and a lot of job pay so poorly. Easy to jump to conclusions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I've interviewed people and offered them jobs only to have them explain that it wouldn't make financial sense to take the job. We're talking 40 hour weeks at 10/11e an hour but they turn it down because it's not worth their while. I wouldn't describe them as scroungers just people looking out for themselves - I did try to explain that the wage will increase over time but a lot of them only think in the short term. Hard to blame them in some cases.

And while the dole might be around 11k p/a when you factor in rent allowance, child allowance, etc, it's a higher figure again.

Obviously there are people who are content to abuse the system but for others, who may not have higher education, it just makes no financial sense to take minimum wage jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Lily_Aldrin7

In most cases one adult would be free to work while the other minds the children so the childcare is a red herring I think.

I was about to say that- my partner stays at home because we have 2 kids- it’s 250 per child per week (50 a day) to go to the childminder’s. He didn’t even make that much at work. There are families with more than 2 kids obviously. The only thing is he doesn’t get any social because as far as we know, you need to be looking for a job in order to get benefits ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Anyone availing of welfare is more than likely eligible and in need of it.

Not sure if your taking the piss with that but if your not you are very naive....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Yep, benefits are way too high. As in, the allowances - benefits are fair in most cases, Jobseekers BENEFIT from earning stamps, illness BENEFIT from paying your taxes then getting unfortunately sick.

Jobseekers allowance shouldn't be as high as it is, as you get people that abuse it, many of them too, people sitting on it for 15 years straight. Able bodied, lazy people.

1 in 9 is a shocking figure. That would almost mean 1 in 9 are in poverty

I don't mean 'stay at home mums/dads' that it benefits for one parent to stay home while the other is out being the breadwinner,

I mean families that never intend to work or go out working whatsoever, expecting the government to fund them for their entire life

Obviously it makes sense for some families to have a parent home but not for others never intending to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Youre better than this matt... 1 post...

Couldn't help it I was curious where it was going ;)
    aaakev wrote: »
    Not sure if your taking the piss with that but if your not you are very naive....

You cannot quit your job and sign on welfare. They won't take you. If it was even half as advertised on Boards we'd all give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Couldn't help it I was curious where it was going ;)

You cannot quit your job and sign on welfare. They won't take you.

They will take you after 8 weeks. If you lie you will get it straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭jinish

Its a joke. The Govt should tighten the criteria for welfare and use the saved money to support working parents by providing some kind of subsidised childcare facilities. Its very very very very hard on working parents to manage
    1. work
    2. child care
    3. save few penny for a mortgage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

If a family is on minimum wage ,say 39hr week, they can claim Working Family Payment, could be a extra €140 a week for a family with 2 kids and still keep benefits, medical card etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

We seem to have reached peak employment, the only people who are now (seriously) looking for a new job are people looking to change.

Where I work we had a role advertised for 3 weeks. Package was 40k basic, bonus of 12k+, car, healthcare etc.

We got 7 applicants, 5 of which were from a combination of India, the Gulf and the Ukraine.

And it was a great role.

I think if you have 2 kids you need to gross 44k to get the same value as being on welfare. Something very wrong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Great that Leo Varadkar has stepped in to protect those that get up early, oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭jinish

We seem to have reached peak employment, the only people who are now (seriously) looking for a new job are people looking to change.

Where I work we had a role advertised for 3 weeks. Package was 40k basic, bonus of 12k+, car, healthcare etc.

We got 7 applicants, 5 of which were from a combination of India, the Gulf and the Ukraine.

And it was a great role.

I think if you have 2 kids you need to gross 44k to get the same value as being on welfare. Something very wrong there.

something very wrong indeed!

Yes, they do after a review. You can't quit and walk in, sign on.
    You can do many a thing you shouldn't if you lie. That said you need verify the lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

john4321 wrote: »
    Your situation seems to have improved in the last month from working 16 hours a week to interviewing people.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111905889&postcount=197

"12k per year as a PAYE worker 16 hrs per week (very little tax on that), 6k social welfare per annum and about 11k per annum as a take away delivery driver 2 nights a week. Things are tight but im time rich which is the most important thing for me."

Yeah don't work in the recruiting sector anymore. Your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I'd be interested in hearing about some of the people you interviewed. Might make an interesting thread..

All sorts to be honest. Young, old, Irish, non Irish, men, women etc.. but many where sent to us by social welfare and had no interest in working.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

My thought on the matter is; you can only afford one or two kids if you're working in an urban area & on good money, due to housing costs, etc. Also, childcare is very expensive in this county.

If you are not working, and are paying a pittance to rent the house you live in, you don't need to worry about such things as childcare, as you're either at home all the time, or you don't care where your kids go during the day.
    Fathers being around (let alone working ones) becoming increasingly rarer.
    Also the mothers will be able to claim less.
    tdf7187 wrote: »
    Dole payments are 202 a week. This is 11k or so a year.
    Lots of minimum wage jobs out there, not worth some people's time to take one. Loss of to many benefits.
    If you're on min wage, you'll probably end up the same or less than the dole after you pay rent for your house.
    If there is anything wrong with the kids, moving from medical card to private insurance will also give you reason to stay unemployed.
    Bannasidhe wrote: »
    'No working adult' can mean many things.
    I agree that the word play can be taken wrongly, but in the article, it states...
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/one-in-nine-children-brought-up-in-home-with-no-working-adult-38828357.html
    The designation "jobless household" applies to a home where no one is in employment
    ...that is clearer language.
    Anyone availing of welfare is more than likely eligible and in need of it.
    Anyone claiming welfare will often be living on the breadline, and unable to work for a month before they get paid. And if receiving rent assistance like HAP, not have the finance to pay the two months rent.
    In most cases one adult would be free to work while the other minds the children so the childcare is a red herring I think.
    The designation "jobless household" applies to a home where no one is in employment
    Not really a red herring when it means that no one is working.
    You cannot quit your job and sign on welfare. They won't take you.
    If you want to get sacked, there are several fun ways to go about it.

=-=

If you wish to increase the amount of kids that are in working homes, bring in free childcare for people who work 37 hours a week, or more.

What do people say exactly? That the job was putting them under emotional stress? Or which

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

What do people say exactly? That the job was putting them under emotional stress? Or which

Much easier than that, turn up drunk three afternoons in a row after boozy lunches and even the public service will fire you and no need to wait 8 weeks. I shouldn’t be surprised at the continued fake naivety of some posters on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

That’s for a single person. It’s more depending on family circumstances.

• Advertisement

FAMLEE wrote: »
    If a person with a dependent (child) on the dole can claim between 250-300 a week & they have no qualifications.. why would they work 40hours/week minimum wage for -350? Factor in, travelling costs etc. it makes no sense.

If you have one child and you get a 39 hr job at minimum wage, you sign off the dole and apply for WFP then you will get €85 per week from them and keep the €36 you were getting on the dole for the child for a year. You’ll get to keep your medical card for 3 years. That’s €390 wages +€85 WFP +€36 WFD. That increases with each child.
    If you get a 20 hour per week job at minimum wage then you’ll get €200 WFP €200 wages and €36 WFD. That’s income of nearly €500 for 20 hours work.

the_syco wrote: »
    If you want to get sacked, there are several fun ways to go about it.

And if you want a car for free you can steal one. Not sure were we are going TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,856 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/one-in-nine-children-brought-up-in-home-with-no-working-adult-38828357.html

That's a shocking figure. Why is there so many jobless households? Is it because the benefits are too high to give up for a job or because of a demotivated workforce?

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/03/everything-you-need-to-know-about-ireland-s-economy/
    Ireland’s economy is outperforming most other Eurozone countries with almost full employment and rising real wages.

One-in-nine children. Not one-in-nine households.
    So if you have 23 couples with both parents working and an average of 2 kids each family, then add in Maggie cash and suddenly 1-in-9 children in your sample have a home with no working adult.

also 9-in-9 children brought up in a 4eva home have no working adult.........allegedly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭joeysoap

The Irish SW system needs reforming.
    If you work 4days and earn 400, that’s it. Fair enough

But if you work 3 days and earn 300; you get jsb.

If you work one day and earn 1,000 you can get 5 days Jsb

Crazy system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

theres a good lifestyle to be made bieng a stay at home lone parent. those types have more kids than working families so upset the average. Fathers being around (let alone working ones) becoming increasingly rarer.

Utter rubbish.

The Government made it virtually impossible for single parents to go out and work starting back around 2010 when they targetted single parents as a group and made widespread changes to their social welfare entitlements - forcing many of those who were working, out of the workplace.

Anyone who thinks you can have a "nice lifestyle" raising kids as a single parent on benefits, is talking through their hole.

And for the record, someone who is claiming single parents benefits while cohabitating with a partner is not a single parent.

They are a couple who are scamming the system, by claiming single parent benefits fraudulently.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Much easier than that, turn up drunk three afternoons in a row after boozy lunches and even the public service will fire you and no need to wait 8 weeks. I shouldn’t be surprised at the continued fake naivety of some posters on here.

I meant what did people say to SW to by pass the 8 week wait

I meant what did people say to SW to by pass the 8 week wait

The poster you are quoting doesn’t appear to realize that getting sacked/fired also earns a 9 week penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Plus rent allowance, plus medical card, plus child benefit...it's FAR more than 11k a year when you get for free what the rest of us pay a fortune to have. I certainly didn't have 202 euro a week left after rent and other essential costs when I was working full time on just above minimum wage. Many times I didn't go to the doctor because I couldn't afford to.

Why would anyone bother working?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Plus rent allowance, plus medical card, plus child benefit...it's FAR more than 11k a year when you get for free what the rest of us pay a fortune to have. I certainly didn't have 202 euro a week left after rent and other essential costs when I was working full time on just above minimum wage. Many times I didn't go to the doctor because I couldn't afford to.

Why would anyone bother working?

Rent is paid from any basic allowance paid, not after it, so would need to be deducted from your figures.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I am from Northern Ireland, we had Job Seekers Allowance up until last year when the English Universal Credit system was brought in, it is quite different to the old system and the job centre even closed for a while for renovation for it. It is all online now, you have to record 35 hours of job search online whereas in the past you wrote it down in booklets.

I have been on the dole on and off for 5 years, during that time I've had 8 jobs, the longest lasting 7 months. It is harder that you think to hold down a minimum wage manual labor job because you need to be fit and work at a fast pace for 8 hours, if you are not much use then the bosses (usually europens) get fed up with you and they just ring the recruitment agency who then text you saying the company aren't in need of you anymore, it is all very sneaky and underhand. They don't have patience because they can just bring in another European to do the job, a low skilled native isn't needed by society anymore even though our ancestors built the country.

I get £317 per month on dole as a single man, in my case working is a financial advantage because I would get at least £260pw working whereas on dole it is around £75pw. I live in fathers house so I don't get the housing credit payments or child benefit payments.

My uncle is an alcoholic and hasn't been able to work for 10 years, the government give him extra money for his alcohol problem, I don't know what it is, my mother told me that. I am surprised they don't force you to go into rehab if you are in that situation. In his case going back to work would be terrible as he would be working for less than he got over those 10 years.

My sister said that her brother in law scams the system, him and his wife pretend that they are separated and they have the letters delivered to the mothers address. He must have told the government that he lives in mothers house when he doesn't.

In regards to being lazy, laziness is actually natural as an animal, take dogs and lions for example, they lay about most of the day preserving their energy, I don't know why humans are expected to run themselves into the ground. It is natural and sensible to take the easier option just like what those single mothers do.

In my case, I do have to work, so I can keep my parents off my back as they are old school hard working types plus I would like to go on some expensive holidays, etc which isn't possible with the dole. Another obstacle is my depression, I have brutal morning depression, my mind is in tatters in the morning and the only way I will be able to hold down a job is with anti depressants. Working in the evening isn't as bad though, it is a more relaxed life style that isn't as hectic however I still would need anti depressants to hold down an evening job long term too. I never even told the dole about my depression, I wonder what they would say.

Advertisement