Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One in nine children brought up in home with no working adult

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

limnam wrote: »
    Right, but I think they're few and far between so we wouldn't really save anything.

Not sure if you have kids, but CA nor the additional child payment on a normal weekly social welfare payment wouldn't come near the amount required to raise a child.

I'm not defending her ilk.
    Or the size of the payment.

Just saying.

The "problem" if it was easy to fix it would be fixed.

Media and the quango class are ideologically opposed to any roll back of the state in people's lives.

Beit travellers or multi generational welfare lifers, babying some from cradle to grave is seen as virtuous and right

In reality it is a corrosive influence on society as it instills an idea in many that they have no responsibility for any aspect of their lives, this leads to the same people having no respect for individuals, property or society itself

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Take it from workers to give it to Margaret cash and the fifty percent of the country deemed as “ vulnerable” keep it ! Spend it on a good wine or whatever. Better than squandered by peasants who’ll never know what a days work is !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Ah but he's speshul, doncha know?

The rest of us never get sick or depressed or fed up with work...we should all be happy to work our arses off so special people like him can enjoy art and music on our dime.
    So you're saying that creating art isn't a legitimate form of work? That's... plainly untrue, based on the fact that the artist, in Ireland, is considered so valuable as to have a tax exemption on their earnings. Unfortunately this is generally of most advantage to the likes of Bono and Tubs from the Late Late (because their earnings are so much more than the average working artist), but there's no accounting for public tastes.

Like most musicians and writers, I work a full time job as well as doing gig work writing, playing music, composing, recording, arranging. Because my experience is growing, I'm getting more challenging projects in recent years and I have to decline many offers because my day job takes up all my time and pays better.

If you think being an artist is such a luxury, why haven't you quit your job and pursued a career? Would it be because you would have no financial fallback? There you go, maybe a basic living income would help you during that time, and maybe as somebody who has paid several years of taxes, you deserve to take a risk. Maybe you could get tax exempt status too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

At end of day the country has more wasters than people willing to work

So no political party will come out and say they will reduce the social welfare etc. So instead they will commit to increasing it to get the great unwashed to vote for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I feel is a societal flaw we're all subjected to, everyone having to just work until we're ****ing basically dead.

Yeah only a few should work really, the strongest maybe. They're built for it...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

limnam wrote: »
    That's a big jump without discussing thresholds etc

I don’t really care about thresholds tbh. I know that if they means tested child benefit, I wouldn’t get it. But I also know that after food, childcare, clothes and all that necessary stuff for my kids is taken care of, I don’t have a lot of spare money. Child benefit allows me to save for their future and fund some nice extras like swimming lessons and summer camps. And you know, given that they live in a house where they see two adults getting up and going out to earn a living, I believe that they should see that that there’s a benefit to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Yeah only a few should work really, the strongest maybe. They're built for it...:rolleyes:
    Think of all the inefficiency, waste, jobs that should be automated already. At the moment, we're teaching children for future jobs; 60% of which don't exist yet. Civil servants or desk jockies are not necessarily "strong" in any mental or physical capacity just for sucking it up and unquestioningly going to work, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

jlm29 wrote: »
    I don’t really care about thresholds tbh. I know that if they means tested child benefit, I wouldn’t get it. But I also know that after food, childcare, clothes and all that necessary stuff for my kids is taken care of, I don’t have a lot of spare money. Child benefit allows me to save for their future and fund some nice extras like swimming lessons and summer camps. And you know, given that they live in a house where they see two adults getting up and going out to earn a living, I believe that they should see that that there’s a benefit to that.

I agree with you on most but two adults working shouldn't be a goal, it is an unfortunate necessity in today's world.

Bring a home maker and bringing up kids is a really really important, stressful job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Not alot of thought goes into having kids in Ireland it seems. Theres a difference between a 1 parent family who breaks his/her back trying to provide and a family who continually pop out kids to beat the band safe in the knowledge that the state will pick up the bill in some payment(s) or other.

The politicians/media are afraid to mention taking responsibility for your children. Society is so dumbed down that incentivising having multiple children financially whilst having no job is seen as perfectly fine.

We need to find solutions as to how to pay. Do we ****, give me political representation who will cut through the social justice bluster and tackle the epidemic oif popping out multiple kids in order to get paid.

So much 2 faced crap around this in our country, people calling for an "end to homelessness" and a hotel is no place for a pregnant woman with 4 kids. Jesus christ wake up. The problem is the "needs" and tastes of alot of the new homeless usually involve mammy living 2 doors down to look after the little uns whilst herself/himself gets fags/goes to bookies, satellite tv/internet is essential therefore im short on food/heat this month.

Same people calling for more housing are then objecting at council level to social housing going up in their constituency. Ireland is a joke on this front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

The one in nine children figure had come about due to travellers having proportionally far larger families and there are out breeding the traditional working population who can’t afford to have children .

Tax’s will have to go up for those working in order to provide benefits , houses etc for the rapidly growing traveller population . The main thing is no traveller is asked to do a days work . Fine Gael are huge fans of Travellers giving them special status etc but then again so are Sinn Fein so it’s going to get worse for those working and law abiding people in the years ahead .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

LuasSimon wrote: »
    The one in nine children figure had come about due to travellers having proportionally far larger families and there are out breeding the traditional working population who can’t afford to have children .

Tax’s will have to go up for those working in order to provide benefits , houses etc for the rapidly growing traveller population . The main thing is no traveller is asked to do a days work . Fine Gael are huge fans of Travellers giving them special status etc but then again so are Sinn Fein so it’s going to get worse for those working and law abiding people in the years ahead .

FG base has no love for travellers bar the south dublin segment who have no first hand experience with them , the media however demand special treatment and sacred cow status for travellers and the current FG leadership are obsessed with being on side with the media tribe

since eoin o broin became chief strategist in SF down south , travellers have indeed become a high priority for that party , they rival labour nowadays in terms of extolling the virtues of multiculturalism and immunity from responsibility for certain groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Put travelers living beside those montrose parasite hypocrites for twenty four hours. Even they wouldn’t be good enough liars to say “ their a great bunch of lads “ then ...

What delights me , is there are so many black hole areas regarding spending. That any welfare increases going forward , will likely be fcuk all. Now if it’s one more red cent , it’s more than it should be , but the days of double digit percentage increase are long , long gone !

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    FG base has no love for travellers bar the south dublin segment who have no first hand experience with them , the media however demand special treatment and sacred cow status for travellers and the current FG leadership are obsessed with being on side with the media tribe

since eoin o broin became chief strategist in SF down south , travellers have indeed become a high priority for that party , they rival labour nowadays in terms of extolling the virtues of multiculturalism and immunity from responsibility for certain groups.

Travellers area a tiny percentage

The amount of wasters in the likes of Dublin is 20 times or more the entire amount of travellers in Ireland

Focusing on the travellers is missing the bigger picture

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I agree with you on most but two adults working shouldn't be a goal, it is an unfortunate necessity in today's world.

Bring a home maker and bringing up kids is a really really important, stressful job.

I don’t think it should be a goal, if one half of a couple chooses to work in the home, that’s perfectly ok. I love my job, and wouldn’t like to give it up. I should have said that if kids see one or both of their parents getting up and going out to work, they should see the associated benefits, it’s only right. I’m on mat leave at the moment, and I fully understand how difficult being at home full time is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I don’t think it should be a goal, if one half of a couple chooses to work in the home, that’s perfectly ok. I love my job, and wouldn’t like to give it up. I should have said that if kids see one or both of their parents getting up and going out to work, they should see the associated benefits, it’s only right. I’m on mat leave at the moment, and I fully understand how difficult being at home full time is.

Absolutely, my wife is on maternity leave as well, calls me going to work a "holiday"

As you said kids needs good role models and many in this country have no chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

I don’t think it should be a goal, if one half of a couple chooses to work in the home, that’s perfectly ok. .

If we are applying the same expectations to this type of family as some have of one parent families, then it is perfectly okay once it is fully self-financed, and not supplemented by claims for HAP or WFP.

Thats not a dig at you by the way.

AulWan wrote: »
    If we are applying the same expectations to this type of family as some have of one parent families, then it is perfectly okay once it is fully self-financed, and not supplemented by claims for HAP or WFP.

Thats not a dig at you by the way.

Remember when working women went on maternity leave they had tax free pay so they could build up some money for the child. This was all stripped away with recession. But the waster mother get more and more and more piled onto them.....

None of this has been brought back for the working mother

How the f**k does that make any sense?

What "waster mothers" are you referring to?

And what is "piled onto them"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Icsics

Shefwedfan wrote: »

The amount of wasters in the likes of Dublin is 20 times or more the entire amount of travellers in Ireland

They might be a tiny percentage but there’s nothing tiny about their broods. There are travelers in my kids classes with 6,7,8 siblings. Parents dropping them to school in their pjs & often collecting in the same attire!!

Icsics wrote: »
    They might be a tiny percentage but there’s nothing tiny about their broods. There are travelers in my kids classes with 6,7,8 siblings. Parents dropping them to school in their pjs & often collecting in the same attire!!

In the whole of Ireland their is 30k travellers? out of a population of 4.8million.

Hardly a big percentage for the amount of posts and complaints about. Even with 6,7,8 children.....

• Advertisement

What "waster mothers" are you referring to?

Take a guess

And what is "piled onto them"

Take a guess as well.....it start with m and finishs with ney :p

Take a guess

Take a guess as well.....it start with m and finishs with ney :p

Oh no, please, don't get shy on me now. At least have the courage to own your prejudice.

For the record, one parent families have on average 1.68 children, before you start throwing around travellers with large families as a typical example of a one parent family.

By far the vast majority of one parent families comes about via widowhood, separation and divorce of long term relationships. Not young wans "popping out kids for the benefits".

Over 50% of one parent families are in engaged in employment.

so again, who exactly are these "waster mothers" to whom you are referring?

Oh no, please, don't get shy on me now. At least have the courage to own your prejudice.

For the record, one parent families have on average 1.68 children, before you start throwing around travellers with large families as a typical example of a one parent family.

By far the vast majority of one parent families comes about via widowhood, separation and divorce of long term relationships. Not young wans "popping out kids for the benefits".

Over 50% of one parent families are in engaged in employment.

so again, who exactly are these "waster mothers" to whom you are referring?

A bit of a rant

First I never mentioned one parent families? or made any reference to them. So why you ranting about one parent families?

Plus see my posts on travellers above.....

So what exactly are you going on about?

A bit of a rant

First I never mentioned one parent families? or made any reference to them. So why you ranting about one parent families?

Plus see my posts on travellers above.....

So what exactly are you going on about?

You didn't have too.

Your meaning is plainly obvious, even though you don't actually appear to have the courage to own your prejudices.

And you still haven't answered...

Who are these "waster mothers" as you referred to them?

You didn't have too.

Your meaning is plainly obvious, even though you don't actually appear to have the courage to own your prejudices.

And you still haven't answered...

Who are these "waster mothers" as you referred to them?

What are you waffling about? you went on some stupid rant about single mothers and now trying to say I meant single mothers....

Just admit your wrong and move on misquoting someone else.....

Waster mothers, well seeing as you are able to see prejudices in peoples posts, you tell me? time for another rant

P.S you forgot to apologize about your rant about the travellers as well.....:P:P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

At end of day the country has more wasters than people willing to work

What are the stats to back that up, out of curiosity?

I thought Ireland was enjoying 'full employment'.

What are you waffling about? you went on some stupid rant about single mothers and now trying to say I meant single mothers....

Just admit your wrong and move on misquoting someone else.....

Waster mothers, well seeing as you are able to see prejudices in peoples posts, you tell me? time for another rant

P.S you forgot to apologize about your rant about the travellers as well.....:P:P:P:P

Deflecting much?

How cowardly.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Have you wrote the above inebriated? What politician is on 80 k a week? I know Dara Murphy FG was pulling the piss but surely not at this level. Secondly 37 k take home from a 70k gross? Come on you can do better than this. Although since you mention the self employed who are willing to provide their own employment and up to recently their own safety net ( sick pay, unemployment benefit etc) your bias as a former CS worker becomes apparent.

80k a year, obvious typo you missed.

Yes, I am a former civil servant, but I have also been self-employed, so I understand the tax write-offs available to the self-employed!

Deflecting much?

How cowardly.

Does it work much going one rants and trying to drag people down to your level?

Best leave you to it.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Your living on cloud cuckoo land with your 30,000 travellers . It’s estimated as few as a third of travellers filled in census forms in the last census . Like everything else they dont abide by the law and the census collectors and guards have given up trying to get them to comply . The true number is closer to 80,000 . Considering travellers are having an average 7-8 kid families and at a far younger age as opposed to working family’s having 1-2 , travellers are outbreeding the working population significantly. More tax’s on those working will be only way to meet the welfare bill going forward .

Advertisement