Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One in nine children brought up in home with no working adult

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭limnam

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ahh your issue with education system starts to come more clear

No I wasn’t talking about teachers

Don't see what's clear.

Was just trying to get clarification on the cuts you were referring to.

Teachers did ok before, they do ok now. Don't see what the issue i have stating that.

Are you back deflecting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

limnam wrote: »
    Don't see what's clear.

Was just trying to get clarification on the cuts you were referring to.

Teachers did ok before, they do ok now. Don't see what the issue i have stating that.

Are you back deflecting?

See below, just to give idea......

https://bccn.ie/where-does-ireland-rank-in-education/

Don’t tell me your not aware of education cut backs since the crash?

Maybe do a bit of research yourself, your the one saying the system is a mess, not me.....

See below, just to give idea......

https://bccn.ie/where-does-ireland-rank-in-education/

Don’t tell me your not aware of education cut backs since the crash?

Maybe do a bit of research yourself, your the one saying the system is a mess, not me.....

This is university level.

The only cuts I'm aware of in primary/secondary schools is salary

But salary is not the issue I'm referring to.

It's the curriculum's/mechanism's for delivery etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

Ive worked as an Employment Advisor for ashort period and it is definitely the generous welfare system but also, alot of people suffer from work anxiety and they are terrified of the workplace. Some families also have made benefits their career path. Some people are quite happy doing 20 hours and having a side hobby and living at home with mam and dad. I try not to be judgementall when I hear apersons circumstance because no-one knows whats going on in their life. Also, there are a hell of a lot of decent travellers out there, we only hear of the ones involved in fist fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Data is 7 years old.

One of the lowest spends in the OECD on incapacity.

Ireland has the highest percentage of people claiming disability in the OECD.

Either we have a genetic issue from inbreeding on an island or we have the most generous system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Three hundred million a year wasted on a Christmas bonus , the lpt took in 482,000,000 in 2018. Get rid of the Xmas bonus alone and you are more than half way to abolishing lpt.

I see absolutely no point in charging such a ridiculous low rate of lpt. Abolish it or start increasing it and use the proceeds for worthwhile causes, starting with tax abolition and increasing the threshold at which you hit the marginal rate , infrastructure and paying off debt

https://m.independent.ie/opinion/comment/ronan-lyons-state-is-foregoing-billions-in-revenue-with-low-property-tax-38785997.html

A mate has an apartment, Pays e90 year on lpt in Dublin. He is rich enough to also pay 50% over the pittance of 35,000!

I really want a book would be written on this subject. The outrageous welfare state here and the wasters it creates and supports !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What's disability got to do with this? Plenty of people with disability work, and full time too.

On the unemployed stat, clearly most adults are working. Almost 12% of children growing up without employed parents is a shocking figure, but the article gives no context. I'd love to see more information there, as there is a lot of guessing going on.

What is the situation of the parents? There isn't just one big bucket of "scroungers".
    For example, we have families where the adults do not have work permits here, they are not legally entitled to PAYE work.
    Separated, single or widowed parents, where the parent is stay-at-home.
    Families where there is off the tax-radar, black market activities supplementing the social welfare.
    Illness and other barriers to work.

And we can't forget our growing problem with drugs, where becoming a career criminal is becoming lucrative. Not sure those snorting coke at weekend realise the wider impact it has on our society down the supply chain.

This is university level.

The only cuts I'm aware of in primary/secondary schools is salary

But salary is not the issue I'm referring to.

It's the curriculum's/mechanism's for delivery etc

Google “ ireland cuts in secondary education”

First article at top

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/education/government-urged-to-clarify-impact-of-missing-millions-on-education-budget-1.4047771%3fmode=amp

As I said, you brought up education and the system but yet to provide anything to back it up

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Three hundred million a year wasted on a Christmas bonus , the lpt took in 482,000,000 in 2018. Get rid of the Xmas bonus alone and you are more than half way to abolishing lpt.

I see absolutely no point in charging such a ridiculous low rate of lpt. Abolish it or start increasing it and use the proceeds for worthwhile causes, starting with tax abolition and increasing the threshold at which you hit the marginal rate , infrastructure and paying off debt

https://m.independent.ie/opinion/comment/ronan-lyons-state-is-foregoing-billions-in-revenue-with-low-property-tax-38785997.html

A mate has an apartment, Pays e90 year on lpt in Dublin. He is rich enough to also pay 50% over the pittance of 35,000!

I really want a book would be written on this subject. The outrageous welfare state here and the wasters it creates and supports !

Can’t say wasters or you will get accusations about single mothers and travellers from some on here

The LPT I don’t mind if I could see playground etc and invest in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jay1988

All sorts to be honest. Young, old, Irish, non Irish, men, women etc.. but many where sent to us by social welfare and had no interest in working.

TBF, if your relying on the Social Welfare to send you your interview candidates, the place is probably a kip anyways.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »

Either we have a genetic issue from inbreeding on an island or we have the most generous system.

Lowest spend in the OECD.

Have you tried living on it ?

A get rich quick scheme it is not.

Google “ ireland cuts in secondary education”

First article at top

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/education/government-urged-to-clarify-impact-of-missing-millions-on-education-budget-1.4047771%3fmode=amp

As I said, you brought up education and the system but yet to provide anything to back it up

An article wondering what was cut ?

:D

All I ever heard from teachers was their concern about wages.

An article wondering what was cut ?

:D

All I ever heard from teachers was their concern about wages.

So you have an issue with teachers,....unfortunately at the moment the education system doesn’t work without teachers so a bit of a pointless conversation and not for this thread

Let’s put it this way, it’s not the fault of teachers for the social welfare system we have in place or the amount of people on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I think if you have 2 kids you need to gross 44k to get the same value as being on welfare. Something very wrong there.

Not sure about wrong...one chooses to have children; one doesn't necessarily choose to be in a situation where they're unemployable.

I don't see that as a legitimate reason to cut job seekers.

So you have an issue with teachers,....unfortunately at the moment the education system doesn’t work without teachers so a bit of a pointless conversation and not for this thread

Let’s put it this way, it’s not the fault of teachers for the social welfare system we have in place or the amount of people on it.

No issues with teachers at all.

Just pointing out the thing that they voiced a lot of concern about was wages.

Absolutely, hence why I didn't want to talk about the education system here.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

With over half a million people waiting years just to see a doctor that knows what they are doing it's hardly surprising we have high levels of disability.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Boggles wrote: »
    With over half a million people waiting years just to see a doctor that knows what they are doing it's hardly surprising we have high levels of disability.

Thats not the reason and you know it, the most disabled workforce in europe

Thats not the reason and you know it, the most disabled workforce in europe

With the least amount of spend in the OECD.

Sound business plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

il never be able to work in many jobs again due to a foot injury which will not heal , unfortunately( in this context ) ive a fair few assets , should i be entitled to disability ? , i have not looked into it

perhaps not but it seems the system is flawed in terms of judging who is actually disabled , many who are genuinely disabled dont qualify , others who have little wrong with them do

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    il never be able to work in many jobs again due to a foot injury which will not heal , unfortunately( in this context ) ive a fair few assets , should i be entitled to disability ?

perhaps not but it seems the system is flawed in terms of judging who is actually disabled , many who are genuinely disabled dont qualify , others who have little wrong with them do

So the problem is similar to job seekers etc

It's not the size of the payments it's the eligibility to get them.

• Advertisement

So the problem is similar to job seekers etc

It's not the size of the payments it's the eligibility to get them.

so is it more about the means of the applicant than the severity of their symptoms ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Wasnt there something changed in the system a few years back regarding means testing that made disability benefit more attractive than the dole for long term spongers (Im not talking about legitimate cases)? Maybe another ployfrom the gubberment to move more off the dole list...

so is it more about the means of the applicant than the severity of their symptoms ?

The point I was making it is you seem to be more concerned about who gets it who doesn't rather than the size of the payments themselves.

As people seem to think it's a get rich quick scheme they're so high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

If you an are alcoholic, you can claim disability.

How about that new luxury apartment block in south Dublin? I heard that the first lucky tenant has moved in. He is straight out of Mountjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp9hdc/p8hdc/p9tod/

Looking at the breakdown of disabilities, wexford town has 18% of people being disabled, aworrying trend of younger people whos biggest disability is ‘concentrating or remembering’ and it impacts them most in the area of ‘being able to attend work or college’ followed by the other groups of ‘pain’ resulting in the biggest issue of not being able to attend work or college. Theres even a graph that accounts for that spike in the early 2000s where kids who kicked off in school were diagnosed en masse with adhd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

My neighbour told me she's trying to get disability for vertigo. I told her if she stopped drinking a bottle of wine every day it would miraculously go away.

The point I was making it is you seem to be more concerned about who gets it who doesn't rather than the size of the payments themselves.

As people seem to think it's a get rich quick scheme they're so high.

im posing the question if the decision to approve a disability application is based on symptoms presented or the means of the applicant .

if im right then the disability scheme is just a top up scheme of the broader welfare system

im posing the question if the decision to approve a disability application is based on symptoms presented or the means of the applicant .

if im right then the disability scheme is just a top up scheme of the broader welfare system

If your GP deems you unfit for work you will be means tested...

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/disability_allowance.html

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Perhaps we should avoid making single parenthood the most attractive option welfare wise?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

How about that new luxury apartment block in south Dublin? I heard that the first lucky tenant has moved in. He is straight out of Mountjoy.

Fook I hope that isnt true, where did you hear that?

Advertisement