Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One in nine children brought up in home with no working adult

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Dole payments are 202 a week. This is 11k or so a year.

Add rent allowance, heating allowance, med. card. Just off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

https://twitter.com/seamuscoffey/status/1094990982444134407

Updated figures from Eurostat and the Survey of Income and Living Conditions show that in 2017 Ireland once again had the highest share of people living in "jobless households" in the EU15.

Ireland has now held the top spot for 11 years in a row going back to 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

You have to admire the likes of Margaret Cash. Willing to stay at home and mind her kids. Unlike a lot of people who now pay people to raise their children. If only more followed her lead.

I think it's pretty clear the kids are being dragged up rather than being raised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I think it's pretty clear the kids are being dragged up rather than being raised.

My local FG TD was raised/dragged up in social housing.

Nothing of note has changed in many decades except now when people find things getting tough they look to their worse off neighbour on welfare/rent subsidy or chancers of the week like Cash, instead of policy makers and enforcers. A waste of time but a good whinge I suppose.

People only get what the state says they are due. If you've a problem with that you know were to go.

https://www.fiannafail.ie/

https://www.finegael.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭christy c

Geuze wrote: »

I said it before that this would be considered a crisis if it suited some people/party's political agendas. But because "the most vulnerable" are involved no party will touch it with a barge pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Nothing of note has changed in many decades except now when people find things getting tough they look to their worse off neighbour on welfare/rent subsidy or chancers of the week like Cash, instead of policy makers and enforcers. A waste of time but a good whinge I suppose.

People only get what the state says they are due. If you've a problem with that you know were to go.

I've been on Jobseekers, as has my OH. Few months here and there over the years. But we both got our arses back into the workforce as soon as possible. We like having jobs, being able to pay for things and not relying on everyone else to prop up our lifestyle.

It's not just about getting what's 'due'. It's about having some self respect and not wanting to be bankrolled by complete strangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Geuze wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/seamuscoffey/status/1094990982444134407

Updated figures from Eurostat and the Survey of Income and Living Conditions show that in 2017 Ireland once again had the highest share of people living in "jobless households" in the EU15.

when not working can be more profitable than working, these are the kind of stats that will appear. Not working should never leave an able bodied person better off than if they worked. It's profoundly immoral.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

I've been on Jobseekers, as has my OH. Few months here and there over the years. But we both got our arses back into the workforce as soon as possible. We like having jobs, being able to pay for things and not relying on everyone else to prop up our lifestyle.

It's not just about getting what's 'due'. It's about having some self respect and not wanting to be bankrolled by complete strangers.

Exactly.

I've been lucky enough to receive a few scholarships in my life (academic merit) and felt so privileged and grateful to be able to study when I would have otherwise not been able to fund it. I worked my arse off and made sure I was top of the class every time to show the people who chose me that I was worthy of them believing in me and giving me that opportunity.

The idea that some people just put their hand out for years on end and expect other people to fund their very existence is honestly just beyond me. I see so many people do it in the area I grew up in and I just don't get it. How do you not feel like a total waste of space when you're an able-bodied, perfectly able adult who can't even feed yourself or pay for your own rent because you don't want to work? The guilt would eat me alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Ha and people say the divide is growing and the poor vulnerable are been neglected and left behind.

What a farce!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Lainey. These people hang around with their own ilk. It’s an echo chamber “ de gubberment do notin for ye “ then they have all the left wing politicians and entire media here , telling them they’ve been failed. It’s all someone else’s fault!

May people here are struggling, I would say primarily due to the outrageous welfare state , billions siphoned off from poor workers , to pay for it.

Gp visit for the working poor ? Sixty euro. Endless gp for the wasters ? Free. It’s inconceivable to me , that nobody will set up a new party here to represent workers. We must be unique on the planet in a western democracy. Where the only thing you are good for of working , is being an object to extort as much tax as possible out if , to try and buy votes from those than don’t vote or would never vote fg etc. and they’ll lose power because they did nothing for the working people. Another year or two of them boom in 2006 and they probably weren’t far off giving them a hundred euro weekly shop in m and s...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

when not working can be more profitable than working, these are the kind of stats that will appear. Not working should never leave an able bodied person better off than if they worked. It's profoundly immoral.

Except in Ireland ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

limnam wrote: »
    Again, one of the lowest in the oecd for incapacity based on % of GDP
    limnam wrote: »
    As a % of GDP one of the lowest spends in the OECD

Ireland's figure for GDP is skewed due to the number of MNCs headquartered here, so it does not necessarily paint the most accurate picture of our spend on disability.

Advertisement