Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom Fan

Options
  • 02-01-2020 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Appreciate any advice on the following. The bathroom fan has its own switch beside the bathroom light switch. When turned on - it struggles to stay on continuously. Hard to explain - and I can’t seem to upload a video. But it’s like a flickering light - it it we’re electrical.

It’s always been broken - never got around to fixing it. We’ve two windows in the bathroom and someone said that open windows are better than any fan especially in the winter where heat goes to cold.

Anyway - I presume that’s it’s a new fan needed and that I isolate at the isolation switch and that’s it’s a fairly straight forward process.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

karlitob wrote: »
    Hi all,

Appreciate any advice on the following. The bathroom fan has its own switch beside the bathroom light switch. When turned on - it struggles to stay on continuously. Hard to explain - and I can’t seem to upload a video. But it’s like a flickering light - it it we’re electrical.

It’s always been broken - never got around to fixing it. We’ve two windows in the bathroom and someone said that open windows are better than any fan especially in the winter where heat goes to cold.

Anyway - I presume that’s it’s a new fan needed and that I isolate at the isolation switch and that’s it’s a fairly straight forward process.

Thanks in advance.

Try to take it down and give it a good clean. Isolate at the mcb for the lighting circuit it's connected to first.
    If it still doesn't work it's most likely a problem with the motor and probably just easier to replace it rather than spend time try to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

aido79 wrote: »
    Try to take it down and give it a good clean. Isolate at the mcb for the lighting circuit it's connected to first.
    If it still doesn't work it's most likely a problem with the motor and probably just easier to replace it rather than spend time try to fix it.

Appreciate the good advice.

Would you recommend any particular units?

This one is in the ceiling and vents through the eaves of the roof. I’ve noticed that it’s a little loose at the eaves side and it’s main of really crappy concertina trunking (not sure of Proper name - the flexible white tube out the back of a tumble dryer).

Would you recommend an insulation flexible white trunking - I read somewhere that hot air going into a cold attic would form droplets?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Vortice fans are very good. There is an extra low voltage one available which is permitted within zones that a mains voltage fan is not allowed.

Strictly speaking pretty much all electrical work within a bathroom must be carried out by a REC. That would include replacement of a bathroom fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

2011 wrote: »
    Vortice fans are very good. There is an extra low voltage one available which is permitted within zones that a mains voltage fan is not allowed.

Strictly speaking pretty much all electrical work within a bathroom must be carried out by a REC. That would include replacement of a bathroom fan.

Thank you. I take the point.

Finally - any advise on the trunking in the attic.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Finally - any advise on the trunking in the attic.

Generally speaking trunking is not used in an attic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

2011 wrote: »
    Generally speaking trunking is not used in an attic.

I think he's talking about the flexible ducting from the fan to a vent in the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Would you recommend an insulation flexible white trunking - I read somewhere that hot air going into a cold attic would form droplets?

Could you throw some fibreglass insulation over the ducting, without covering the fan itself?

Advertisement