Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When does the work party stop?

• 02-01-2020 8:42pm

So given the much publicised issue at a Christmas party recently I've been wondering.

Work parties are co sidered an extension of the work place, so behaviour there can be used as reasons for disciplinary action.

When does is stop being a work event though? When the dinner is over, free bar ends, venue changes from private function facility?

I mean if the party is in a public venue and the work drinks are finished, what's considered the end of the party?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

When you go home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Don't go, then you don't have to worry about him much of an arse you would be....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

My opinion is when you leave the venue, even if you roll onto another pub/club, you are no longer at a work function

I don't think there's a legal definition though

Don't go, then you don't have to worry about him much of an arse you would be....

I don't, generally. Previous role it was part of the job description (literally)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I don't, generally. Previous role it was part of the job description (literally)

Best advice would be if one can't handle drink or they become a little too chatty, go on the 0% alcohol drinks or lucozade .

• Advertisement

My opinion is when you leave the venue, even if you roll onto another pub/club, you are no longer at a work function

I don't think there's a legal definition though
    Then
    you've issue where someone stays in a public venue with an unrelated group

Best advice would be if one can't handle drink or they become a little too chatty, go on the 0% alcohol drinks or lucozade .

Yeah but that's not what I'm wondering, rather the blurred line between a work event and when it's personal time.

When you go home

Makes no sense if I join a private grouping of non work related friends though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

It seems like a legal minefield. I remember some lawyer a while back (I could be remembering wrong) saying put an end time on the the invite. So if it says party is from 7-11pm anything that happens after that is no longer the companies issue liability wise. Maybe the same goes if an employee acts the fool after 11. There was a thread on this recently some guy got in trouble after his party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Makes no sense if I join a private grouping of non work related friends though

In that case all your colleagues have gone home so I would say the party is over if you're the only one left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

They put an end time on work functions where I am, say 1o pm or midnight.
    The party doesn’t stop at those times, but it stops being a work party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Addle wrote: »
    They put an end time on work functions where I am, say 1o pm or midnight.
    The party doesn’t stop at those times, but it stops being a work party.
    If you get hammered and punch your boss in the face it's a work event and you can be fired no matter what the time is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you get hammered and punch your boss in the face it's a work event and you can be fired no matter what the time is.

This.

Any time you are with work colleagues is a work event - no matter where or when or who organised it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

One could argue that unless there is specific mention in the party invite, then the event ends once the various people leave the venue. This is based on my reading of Honeyball's employment text, which indicates taht outside the normal duties, hours and location of work, there needs to be an elementment of reasonableness as well as clarity as to when a work event ends. Hence the onus is on the employer to make this known.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Dayo93

My job schedules us for party with a start and end time in mail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

I would say it is when you leave the venue. Often you will have colleagues staying out all night and heading on to a late bar, this would be a grey area.

Personally, once the food is over, I'm looking for a way out. While I trust myself not to go around causing trouble, I can't trust anybody else that's consumed alcohol, and if I'm not there, I can't be involved, or even be a witness to any altercation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Offhand, I know of no case law that brings an office Christmas party within the scope of being a place of employment with it's concomitant duties of care.

That is no surprise given that there is legal uncertainty as to what actually constitutes the existence of a master-servant relationship.
    Each case actually turns on specific circumstances.
    Generalisations to the effect that an employer is presumed liable for any adverse event at work are a bit glib and lazy.

There are several headings of liability under which an employer may be liable to an employee.
    One of these headings is vicarious liability for the acts of fellow employees.
    I focus on that specific point as it is the usual source of trouble in the context of this thread.

Can an employer be held vicariously liable for the assault of one employee by another within the place of work ? That is an open question.
    In principle, an employer could be held vicariously liable if the wrongful act was simply a wrongful mode of doing an authorised act e.g. an assault based on mistaken apprehension.

Curiously enough two cases might open the way to argue that vicarious liability might visit an employer for an assault by an employee. See

1. Bazley -v- Curry 1999 Canadian Supreme Court
    https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/scc/doc/1999/1999canlii692/1999canlii692.html?searchUrlHash=AAAAAQAGQkFaTEVZAAAAAAE&resultIndex=1

2. Lister and Others v. Hesley Hall Limited [2001] UK House of Lords.
    http://www.bailii.org/uk/cases/UKHL/2001/22.html

Generally, I would think that employers are at risk of a vicarious liability for some of what goes on at office Christmas parties not least of all because of our old friend namely the concept of reasonable foreseeability and the associated concept of the nature and degree of a duty of care. Against, that there has to be some point at which the employers' involvement ends and with it any exposure on account of an individual employee's acts. I would have thought that a definitive end to a party would assist in setting the border on this issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Any time you are with work colleagues is a work event - no matter where or when or who organised it.

So, if I go for a few pints with my work colleagues on Friday night to celebrate my birthday, I'm at a work event? :confused::confused::confused:

BattleCorp wrote: »
    So, if I go for a few pints with my work colleagues on Friday night to celebrate my birthday, I'm at a work event? :confused::confused::confused:

Only if something goes wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Addle wrote: »
    Only if something goes wrong.

Nah, I can understand that a Christmas party might be considered a work event but a few buddies who happen to work together going for a few drinks certainly isn't a work event as it's not being organised by work. It's organised informally between a few mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

This.

So if I bump into one of my colleagues in Tesco it's now a work event?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

So if I bump into one of my colleagues in Tesco it's now a work event?
    Different scenario: you bump into your boss on a night out, get drunk, and sucker punch him. Is your job affected?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If you’re paying for your own food and drink is it a “works party” at all?
    I’d say it’s only a works party if the company is paying.
    Personally I’d only be staying for the food and then leaving.

If you’re paying for your own food and drink is it a “works party” at all?
    I’d say it’s only a works party if the company is paying.
    If that’s the case, I’ve never attended a ‘works party’.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

This.

Agree totally with this.
    It’s a minefield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

This.

No way.
    I’ve often gone out with workmates and it had absolutely nothing to do with the company. A few drinks among friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

28064212 wrote: »
    Different scenario: you bump into your boss on a night out, get drunk, and sucker punch him. Is your job affected?

Yes, because your employer knows that you are a thug by personal experience. He has to fire you to protect other employees from your random violent outbursts (“sucker punch”).

Advertisement