Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving NY to Florida

Options
  • 02-01-2020 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi - myself and the 3 women of the house are looking at a US trip in June, a couple of days in NY then renting an RV to drive to Florida. Distance wise it looks doable in 5 or 6 easy enough days. Flying Dub to NY, and hoping to come back Florida to Dublin, though that looks to be a very expensive way of doing it. Just wondering if anyone has any real life hints/tips.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 PoulMM

5 to 6 days is doable as long as you don't have too many things you wish to see on the way.

200 to 300 miles per day is fine and can include sightseeing. If you plan on doing 400+ miles, you will start to feel a shortage of time. I know there's a difference whether you do Interstates vs. highways.

I can think of many things I'd love to see on the east coast: NY, Washington, Philadelphia, Apalachian Mountains, plantations in the deep south. In Florida I'd aim for alligators and of course Cape Canaveral - others might want to see Miami and beaches. Lots to see. But if you only have a few things on your itenary, you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Are you really tight for time? I find that that kind of a trip is always best done at a more leisurely pace - not much point having an RV if you can't deviate and delay.

If you're not cramming it into a ten-day break, for the return journey I'd highly recommend taking the train (yes, train!) from Florida back up to NY. It's a two-day trip, but nothing like being on the trains in Europe! About $500 for a (standard) twin-room with full board. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭imp1

Ta for the tips, have flights booked, Dub to NY via Heathrow and coming back Orlando via Manchester.
    We tried sorting flights ourselves using all sorts of apps, Skyscanner etc but a good old fashioned Travel Agent came at it completely differently and sorted all flights for €2k, huge saving on anything we could come up with.
    In terms of itinerary, we are stuck with having to spend some time in NYC, and some in Florida, so about 5 or 6 days to go north to south is about all we have.
    Kennedy Space Centre looks worth visiting, but pressure is on to book the Harry Potter place/park thingy as a top priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

You don’t have to book for Harry Potter. It’s in Universal Studios and it’s sister park Islands of Adventure. You can buy tickets directly on the Universal Site or buy from somewhere like Attraction Tickets Direct here. If you’re planning on spending 3 days there, it is *much* cheaper to buy before you go

You’ll need ‘Park hopper’ or ‘explorer’ tickets if you want to ride the Hogwarts Express that runs between both parks. The standard, base, tickets (as sold in the US) don’t allow you to visit both parks in the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
Advertisement