Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc stopped booting. Getting No Bootable Device — Insert Boot Disk and Press Any Key.

Options
  • 02-01-2020 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

But it's not quiet as straightforward as that.

The PC is my sons, and just before Christmas, this happened. I had a good look, swapping cables over, booting into bios, and generally a good look to see what was wrong. The hard drive is an SSD, but a cheapo one, about 2 years old. So I concluded the ssd was done for. But to get him over the Christmas, I installed a laptop standard HD, installed Windows 10 on it, and he was up and running again.

So off I went, and bought another SSD. A Kingston this time. Arrived today, and I cloned the OS hd that I put in a week ago, but I still have the same problem as the old SSD.

The Bios does see both ssd's when connected, but Windows does not seem to. I put back in the standard hd, and it boots fine. I have gone through Google and the answers of setting the bios to boot from the ssd, but it still does not. Yet, it boots from the standard one.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Have you checked the boot device priority in the bios? It could be something that simple. Check if pressing F11 while POSTing (bios screen) does it let you pick the SSD to boot from.

How are you imaging the SSD, on another machine? A bios factory defaults reset might be no harm either :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Yep, it's set to boot from the ssd. Thing is, the machine was fine, and this happened out of the blue.

Not using another machine. I got it running by installing a HDD and was using that until the replacement ssd arrived. So I used a usb adapter to connect it to the pc, and cloned it from there. I used the same before on a different machine and it was fine. I used Macrium Reflect 7 to clone it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Boot to Windows from HDD with new SDD still connected.

RUN>diskmgmt.msc

Take screenshot of disk management console
    or

Run CMD (as administrator), type in commands and hit Enter after each

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk 0
    list part
    select disk 1
    list part
    exit

Take screenshot of CMD output
    Post screenshot(s)

Thanks for the help, smuggler, but in the end I just reinstalled Windows on the new ssd. Boots fine now.

Thanks for the help, smuggler, but in the end I just reinstalled Windows on the new ssd. Boots fine now.
    How about old SSD, is it gone?

• Advertisement

Yeah. Won't do anything. Tried it in another pc, and no go. Not the end of the world. Just redownload a few things, and it'll be fine.

Mhhh....
    Two years out of SSD, not much.

Yeah. As I said in my first post, it was a cheapo one. I had expected more due to previous experiences, didn't expect rock solid, but thought it would have got more.

Advertisement