Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extremely excitable dog

• 03-01-2020 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi, looking for tips on how to calm an extremely excitable dog please. When my brothers dog sees me she goes absolutely crazy with excitement, jumping all over me at 100 miles an hour. She is a tall dog so when she jumps she reaches my face/head. She hurts me on a regular basis, rips clothes etc bc of her excitement. She only does it to me (I walk her regularly & bring her to my house to play with my own dogs hence all the excitement). It doesn’t stop until we get to the corner of their road & then she is the best dog & walks calmly, no jumping. This has been happening for 2 years & I have tried ignoring her on arrival, pushing her down repeatedly, saying no etc. I love her but exhausted from her launching herself at me all the time when I first arrive. My brother is the only one who can somewhat curb this behaviour but I take her for walks a lot when he is at work. Any suggestions as to what I can try are very welcome. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

bluejelly wrote: »
    Hi, looking for tips on how to calm an extremely excitable dog please. When my brothers dog sees me she goes absolutely crazy with excitement, jumping all over me at 100 miles an hour. She is a tall dog so when she jumps she reaches my face/head. She hurts me on a regular basis, rips clothes etc bc of her excitement. She only does it to me (I walk her regularly & bring her to my house to play with my own dogs hence all the excitement). It doesn’t stop until we get to the corner of their road & then she is the best dog & walks calmly, no jumping. This has been happening for 2 years & I have tried ignoring her on arrival, pushing her down repeatedly, saying no etc. I love her but exhausted from her launching herself at me all the time when I first arrive. My brother is the only one who can somewhat curb this behaviour but I take her for walks a lot when he is at work. Any suggestions as to what I can try are very welcome. Thanks

What age is she op? What breed?

How much regular exercise does she get on a day to day basis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

My brother's Jack Russell can be the same, although he is calming down in his old age. One thing that I found when visiting recently was to avoid eye contact.

With a friend's Jack Russell she is often over-excited at first, but if I give he a rub an some attention for 10 seconds and then 'move on' she calms down.

Just do the same thing to it for a few weeks so it knows how annoying it is and stops.

Advertisement